Ear Yeast Infection From Food?

Hello, one of my lovely family's has contacted me to say that their 12 week old pup has a ear yeast infection, and that their vet has told them almost certainly from Food. They are feeding Black Hawk Puppy (lamb and rice), and have told me that their vet reported seeing more reactions to Black Hawk than any other food.

Anyone else had issues with ear infections or other from Black Hawk. This is not something we've encountered, but majority of our puppies ate fed raw at our recommendation.

We use black hawk fish and potato for our allergy ridden amstaff boy (blue of course).

He'd never had a problem with yeast until we fed him ivory coat. The black hawk fish and potato is the only food (so far) he comes good on!

I don't like how he reacts to the lamb and rice myself, he loses a lot of coat condition with starts dropping coat like mad, which happens on pretty much every food we've tried except the fish and potato and ivory coat.

We had numerous problems with all our dogs when we were trying Black Hawk, ive never seen any of my dogs react to a food before, would never go near the stuff again!!!

Pups are also more prone to ear problems/infections while they are teething.

My Shar Pei is prone to yeast infections, and needed weekly baths on either Earth Born Holistic or Blackhawk I have had him on Blackhawk for nearly 2 years now and no problems, baths happen every 3 to 4 weeks now. The secret to his ear and infections and weekly baths was pro biotics and yoghurt he hasn't had any infections for nearly 2 years

Yep my Sarah was yeasty and very itchy on Black Hawk and it resolved when I changed her dry food. As much as I think Black Hawk is a good food it has a lot of grains in to and doesn't seem to suit many yeast infection prone dogs.

Interesting guys, I'm so into Raw Feeding these daya that I've become quite dismissive of Kibble I suppose. This pup has gone to a lovely family but they are Vego, and handling raw meat etc too much for them it seems

Anyways I have dropped a bag of Stay Loyal that I had here off to them and they are going to switch over to this to see if it clears up the issue. Have to say that all in all he looks to have been developing very well physically off the Black Hawk.

Yes my black labradors had ear infections as well as dry lack lustre coats (dandruff & itchiness) when I fed them Black Hawk, so will never feed my Labs this food ever again.

Same here my black lab had same issue now RAW fed no more kibbles.

My 17 week old golden retriever puppy Axel has his second ear infection since I got him. I think its due to the food his being feed black hawk puppy lamb and rice, beef mince or pet mince and prime 100 meat roll. So when I get paid next I'll be putting my dogs back on raw specially Axel to see if that helps.

As a rather extreme example of food related chronic ear infection is Silver

By the time he arrived had a full farmyard of fungus and bacteria.

Definitely triggered by food. As was the scratching at his mouth and chewing paws, took a while of fine tuning but basically he can have zero chicken or turkey, even if it's the smallest amount of chicken meal found in a lot of dry food.

Silver was adopted and to this day, he will still flare up with red ears if someone unknowingly slips him the wrong sort of treat. Other than that, his ears are great and his skin is perfect. :)

Inserting gross photo from arrival.

Obviously he needed several meds to pull him out of it but until the change of diet it would have only been half a fix, otherwise I think he would have just been 'one of those dogs' constantly at the vet for ear infections. I highly recommend anyone with an ear infection dog to consider exclusion diet in conjunction with meds.

post-6444-0-31385800-1436273076_thumb.jpg

Many dogs are absolutely fine on Black Hawk (it's a pretty good food), but I do get many comments on my review from people who's dogs have reacted - http://www.petfoodre...-hawk-holistic/ (read the comments).

Interesting comments on there, my lab definitely had all these reactions as well, to this day I still have troubles with her (she only had one bag of Black Hawk) it seemed to trigger a complete over reaction of her system, itched herself silly. Personally I wish I never heard of the stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Great thumbsup1.gif

I was going to add that my pup had a yeast ear infection at similar age, no issues since.

If an ear infection doesn't quickly clear up with cleaning, then best to go to vet for prescription.

IMO: Some dogs are more sensitive than others when it comes to food.

Stick with what works, just adapt as he becomes an adult.

Nice to see a breeder continuing to care about their puppies post sale.

Oh yeah, I try to stay in touch with all my families and promise unlimited ongoing support and help. I even provide free board to any of our pups anytime. ;)

:thumbsup:

Nice to see a breeder continuing to care about their puppies post sale.

Oh yeah, I try to stay in touch with all my families and promise unlimited ongoing support and help. I even provide free board to any of our pups anytime. ;)

Wow! That's amazing support!