Two Best Dogs!

Thistle The Work In Progress

201 posts in this topic

She looks identical to the litter brother of my dog (who looks nothing like yours) haha

YANfq2w.jpg

That's Lenny, Rosie's brother at Lure Coursing at 8 months old or so.

uKJqqWO.jpg

aw these guys are cute! do you have a photo thread? Thistle's quite a bit chunkier in the chest but I can see a resemblence in the tail and legs! maybe we'll do another dna test in a few years when they're improved and test for catahoula :p it was a bit of fun lol

Lots of catahoula cross bull arabs near me. They are on gumtree most days and quite a few go through the RSPCA. Bred for hunting/piggin. There is a prolific breeder up near Gladstone as well apparently. There was a 6mth male on GT just this morning. I have also seen a litter of what looked like Dane cross catahoula go through the RSPCA a while back. They looked a lot like Thistle. A bit heavier but very similar face. I met a mature male and he was lovely. More reactive and sensitive than their other Dane but not overly so. It's so nice to see her happy.

could be! not sure she has the nature for it though. i think she's naturally timid and a few bad experiences sent her into scared :/

she's a damn good rabbiter though! and a total bird dog. I do try to discourage and limit that though as I have a couple of old rabbits. (they're kept completely separate with no access to each other. )

I had a dog some years ago - staghound X dane ? he was definitely bred for pigging but dumped as a pup of 8 weeks because of his timid nature - so don't let that distract you :) he was THE best natured dog :) and at 45 kg needed to be ;)

There's a Victorian lure coursing club on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402393963398774/

I reckon she'd love it. Dogs usually run one at a time and all the rest are on lead, under control...

Some things - if you can put it on cue and give permission - like digging at the beach - gives the dog a clear idea of when it's ok to indulge the instincts and when it isn't...

Kirislin   

There's a Victorian lure coursing club on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1402393963398774/

I reckon she'd love it. Dogs usually run one at a time and all the rest are on lead, under control...

Some things - if you can put it on cue and give permission - like digging at the beach - gives the dog a clear idea of when it's ok to indulge the instincts and when it isn't...

It's not a club, it's a working party but worth joining us on the page to keep up to date and maybe even get involved in getting it off the ground in Vic.

Kirislin

My bad. Say hi to Rebecca for me. She set up the club in Adelaide.

There were links to actual clubs who run lure coursing events tho.

I still reckon a dog with a lot of hunting instincts would LOVE it. Mine does.

raineth   

I would say there's a fair chance she has some Great Dane in her. It would explain her markings, her deep chest, and he being a little out of proportion maybe :). She doesn't look very big, but once you cross a Great Dane they seem to lose size very quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a bit of a pigging mix. They are often lovely dogs :) I see a bit of the pig dog look in the structure of her head.

She sounds very sweet, and she has hit the jackpot with a committed owner by the look of it :)

I would say there's a fair chance she has some Great Dane in her. It would explain her markings, her deep chest, and he being a little out of proportion maybe :). She doesn't look very big, but once you cross a Great Dane they seem to lose size very quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a bit of a pigging mix. They are often lovely dogs :) I see a bit of the pig dog look in the structure of her head.

She sounds very sweet, and she has hit the jackpot with a committed owner by the look of it :)

No pictures from class today, but she did well, we got pulled out to test for the next level but failed on Leave It XD so we're practicing for next week.

She's gained a bit since I got her, but is still only 33kg. So half an actual great dane! XD Definitely a bit of this a bit of that and a WHOLE lot of cuddles.

Clipped her nails for the first time since I got her and she was fine with it. Trainer noticed she's easily surprised from the side (she was practically on us before Thistle noticed and reacted) so we're gonna get her eyes checked out. Could explain all the jumping at shadows.

Yes I will gush about her in every comment ever because she's awesome <3

LisaCC   

What a gorgeous dog! Glad she's found such a loving home that's giving her the best care smile.gif

Kirislin   

Kirislin

My bad. Say hi to Rebecca for me. She set up the club in Adelaide.

There were links to actual clubs who run lure coursing events tho.

I still reckon a dog with a lot of hunting instincts would LOVE it. Mine does.

no worries, I was confused as to what we were at the start too. I see Bec alot now as she's also joined the whippet racing club I'm involved with, she's now one of our lure drivers :D

hippo   

She's stunning! I'd say a touch of bull arab, throwing back to the greyhound side, because her body is so curvy and her chest quite deep.

You're doing a fantastic job working with her.

I confess, I don't have many "nice camera" pictures of her because I'm generally too focussed on keeping an eye on her/an eye on our surroundings to risk distracting us with the DSLR. Which is a shame because we played with the agility equipment after class and she picked up "jump" for the poles pretty fast and looked gorgeous in the process! We didn't go too high though cause she's on lead.

But this is why I love her, she has such expressive eyes and I'm pretty sure she loves me. Was taking pictures of her nibbling a bone when she came over and rested her head against my hip so I gave her the chin rubs she love so much.

tumblr_ns1eduSWGk1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

Classes update: The ?eighth? lesson, second lesson at level 2.

She did exceptionally well in class yesterday (to make up for last two weeks of ratbag?). She stayed in her sit and looked at me whining under her breath when a 3-way dog argument broke out in front of her (no contact was made between the dogs, but two of the dogs were having a "bad" day. About 50% of the class is reactive). We also started proofing heel and extending the duration of it C:

We did have a couple of moments where she reacted to another dog reacting (chihuahua D: she doesn't like them. this poor chihuahua has major reaction issues and a scared vest like Thistle does) but both dogs did well in returning attention to us.

I do fear that some people don't believe the trainer's start of class warning (points out which dogs need extra space) because Thistle tends not to react until the very last second of in-her-face (i've got a 1-2 second window to notice and redirect when "Surprises" get in her face) and she tolerates dogs sniffing her butt. Annoyed cause one person let his dog go to the end of his/her lead to nose sniff Thistle while we were loose lead practicing (and i was looking the other way to scope out where other dogs were) and I noticed but wasn't in time so his dog got nipped just as I called Thistle. They're gentle nips at least, quick and fast but she doesn't follow up on them. =_= Seriously though, dude. The trainer had pointed us out like 7 times in that lesson and was moving people who didn't listen away from us for a reason... Don't set my dog up to fail, I had literally told you earlier that they can't greet until she's seen your dog at least 4-5 times and your dog is calm.

Sorry turning this into both a photo thread and a journal. Don't want to make new topics everytime I want to show off her gorgeous eyes!

Thanks Thistle mum, I do love an update.

Poor Frosty got surprised by something that looked like King Charles Cav mix. It was going away from us off lead with its owners and its gigantic huski type friend (usually a well behaved placid dog tho scary because it's upright and huge).

Anyway cav mix changes it's mind - charges across the oval right up Frosty's butt, no polite appeasement greeting and I had no idea it was coming cos I don't have eyes in the back of my head, last time I looked it was going the other way.

Frosty spun around and I think she stomped on it cos it yelped - so next thing I know, the giant dog is checking us out too. Which I also didn't see coming cos I was now focussed in the rude cav x. But Frosty rolls over for the big dog (Why don't the little dogs like this cav x do that?) and the owner comes and grabs the cav x walking away saying things like - you know that dog's not friendly (meaning Frosty). Frosty might have been friendly if they'd been properly introduced. Sheesh. She was on lead so limited opportunity for trouble but if the big dog had decided to protect its friend I think I would have been seriously hurt.

All I can say is some people and their dogs are clueless, and sometimes that's me.

Hi hear you mrs rusty bucket x-x

I feel kind of stupid having the Scared vest on thistle all the time but it's saved us so much trouble, even in places where we are regulars and someone new comes in X_X at minimum it's makes them pause and gives us time to "let's go!" <- our emergency recall / walk really fast the opposite way command

It's our 6 month anniversary! So I took her to the beach!

tumblr_nt4072kGoc1qh8fino2_540.jpg

tumblr_nt4072kGoc1qh8fino3_540.jpg

tumblr_nt4072kGoc1qh8fino1_540.jpg

She was rather suspicious of the waves and wouldn't get near the water so we played in the sand and scrub instead. Then it rained so we left, good thing she loves car rides! She also didn't seem to realise the surfers were people, even when a big fella in a wet suit walked past us with his board? Progress!

Also earlier today she had a quick polite sniff with a ....small white mop-like dog. I think it was the one we had met before. She got lots of praise for having the quick sniff and then walking away (with my gentle guidance). I wasn't intending to let her sniff but hadn't realised the dog was on a retractable so when we walked away it followed... :/

Classes tomorrow! It's the....13th? lesson I think, third lesson in level 2 obedience. We have a very hard but fair trainer. Less about commands (although you do need the basics) and more about shaping behaviour in reactive dogs. i.e. impulse control, not working themselves up, looking to you instead of bolting etc.

I am feeling a bit down because I had to yell at someone (politely, loud enough so they can hear me) to keep their dog away from mine and it's a bit sad that it's necessary but I don't want an uncontrolled meet with some kind of labrador-rocket in a strange place :x But Thistle was good and sat politely, although had her worried face on. And they were nice about it.

tumblr_nt41lthglE1qh8fino1_250.gif

*edit* She didn't know how to walk on the wet sand, it was hilarious.

tumblr_nt41lthglE1qh8fino2_250.gif

It was hilarious. I guess water that "chases" you isn't as fun as a dam!

tumblr_nt41lthglE1qh8fino3_500.gif

(I think she did have fun overall, no freakouts just average concern over the biggest dam in the world!)

Edited by Thistle the dog

Snook   

Happy 6 month anniversary! What a big adventure for Thistle. It sounds like she's doing great. :thumbsup: