Two Best Dogs!

Thistle The Work In Progress

201 posts in this topic

Thank you Snook and thank you very much persephone! We do have a similar jacket and a bandanna but today we were hoping to go without at the beach so I could take pictures :/ (she was wearing it earlier in the day when white-mop-of-a-dog said hello at pet store tho)

tumblr_np13hh2Ch91tmhghmo1_540.jpg

I find the jacket is much more visible at a distance because the words are bigger, but unfortunately most dogs can't read ;) and even worse sometimes people ignore it D:

But it's been major helpful. It's by GiveADogAHome on etsy! She makes loads like In Training and Service Dog and Deaf and custom words as well.

gifs are fun, they're little snippets of dog life:

tumblr_nt4dc83pSc1qh8fino1_400.gif

(she really likes the flirt pole!)

Idk why it made me feel down :c I swear I had 5 seconds of flashback to when she was attacked and now I'm all jittery. Which I do realise is very unlikely to happen again as this was just a happy lab but I'm still anxious over it. We're both a work in progress in recovery from that :/

Snook   

It's hard for both dog and owner to recover from a dog attack. Be kind to yourself and give it some more time. :hug:

Snook   

I hear you. I'd be happy if no one else or their dog ever had to go through something like that. It's a horrible and traumatic experience. :(

denali   

She is very lucky to have you!

And looks so sweet :)

Re the vest, Perhaps "in training, steer clear" would be better?

People usually respect the service dogs in trainign i see, and they have a phrase similar to that.

She is very lucky to have you!

And looks so sweet :)

Re the vest, Perhaps "in training, steer clear" would be better?

People usually respect the service dogs in trainign i see, and they have a phrase similar to that.

She is really sweet :) She's HUGE on cuddles and any kind of attention that is pats/cuddles/contact. Sometimes i wish i could finish work earlier so we can get more cuddle time in!

It's more I want to be upfront on her issues, so if she reacts to someone (even if it's just barking) they can't claim "they didn't know" or "weren't warned" - especially at obedience classes where most of her social interaction happens - lots of new people every week coming in to learn the basics so don't know which dogs are the 'space' ones.

'In-training' sounds so....safe I guess? and I want to be upfront with it that unless i say otherwise, just let her have her space and she's good.

I watched a dog - the sort my dog hates - bolt across the other side of the football oval and then the soccer field to sniff another dog that was playing fetch. There's no way the owner could have known what was written on a jacket the fetch dog might have been wearing.

Poor fetch dog and its owner had to wait for the rude dog owner to come and get his dog because it didn't return when he called it. My dog would have nipped it but fortunately I saw it and stayed outside the park. If it had chased us out of the park I would have crossed a nearby extremely busy road. Sad for the dog but I have to protect mine first.

So my point is - doesn't really matter what the jacket says - some owners are stupid.

Can't prevent stupid unfortunately :( just can minimise the amount of uncontrolled situations as much as possible with the jacket and looking around all the time and keep on taking her to classes to work on the reactivity and obedience. Ie. Turning around and walking away happily from little offlead rockets instead of freaking out at or away from

It has been a godsend in minimising the amount of ppl just walking over into her face. Most people stop and ask which gives time for me to assess them, their dog, explain the 3 second rule or apologise and say no if unfortunately thistles giving nope signs or their dog doesn't meet "ok criteria". Really appreciate those ppl.

Semi related but I've noticed the dog aqua therapy centre has a huge fenced dog park that allows one person to book it for them self. I'm going to call to clarify the process/costs and see if we can have it for 30 mins :D practice our recall and general Funtimes off lead without surprise rocket dogs zipping over!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Can't prevent stupid unfortunately :( just can minimise the amount of uncontrolled situations as much as possible with the jacket and looking around all the time and keep on taking her to classes to work on the reactivity and obedience. Ie. Turning around and walking away happily from little offlead rockets instead of freaking out at or away from

It has been a godsend in minimising the amount of ppl just walking over into her face. Most people stop and ask which gives time for me to assess them, their dog, explain the 3 second rule or apologise and say no if unfortunately thistles giving nope signs or their dog doesn't meet "ok criteria". Really appreciate those ppl.

Semi related but I've noticed the dog aqua therapy centre has a huge fenced dog park that allows one person to book it for them self. I'm going to call to clarify the process/costs and see if we can have it for 30 mins :D practice our recall and general Funtimes off lead without surprise rocket dogs zipping over!

Thistle is absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like you two are on the way to an awesome friendship!

She was very good today :) <- that smile is not wide enough to show my smile

11896076_880564082026876_4644984146137113172_n.jpg?oh=e003f4a743e5abc0d4a4cc9149755df3&oe=566D3ED9

She was pretty suspicious of the photographer but otherwise did quite well. Look at how close to other dogs we are! Didn't bark at any strangers even once and only one excited/worried pull on lead combo, but she stopped immediately at my "oi!".

I think the coat affects her the same way the Thundercoat does - makes her feel safe. Also glad I'm got the size I did cause she's really put on weight and is now a healthy, acceptable 32.01kg instead of the 27-28kg she was. (Nervous weight loss I think)

This weeks homework is;

- teaching her mat = fun place to chill

- teaching/reinforcing her commands....from a distance!

- personally for me (most of us usually get our own homework in addition to class homework) to work on my confidence and acting confident around her, as Thistle gets worried if I'm too loud or clumping around (oh no gumboots D:) and the like. Did some today when we got home and she peed twice (I ignore when this happens, no praise, comfort or yelling) and kept throwing treats around while I walked around in a clumpy 'man like' circle. She got better when she realised nothing bad was happening but was still a bit "WTF" about it but in the end I hope I can desensitise her to more 'confident' people. Probably one of the sources of her men-fear.

So proud of my silly little mutt

tumblr_ntilcm2OaB1qh8fino1_540.jpg

(I-heard-my-name-where's-my-treat face)

Ohmygod Kepala was amazing. Even with the grass places closed (who would race around in grass when you've got stuff to climb in Agility?!) it was awesome. I can't wait for the outdoor pool to open! We booked again for the runs in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna talk to my boss about getting every other monday off (so we can go in 'off peak' times.

It was overcast but quite warm. Thistle sniffed a couple of people, watched one dog walk past with mild concern and ran around a lot! Obviously we played with the agility equipment, played some fetch and Thistle did her utmost best to pee on EVERYTHING.

I tried to make the pictures pretty/less overcast looking:

tumblr_nuea5esnd21qh8fino1_540.jpg

tumblr_nueb31tCzQ1qh8fino4_540.jpg

tumblr_nueb31tCzQ1qh8fino3_540.jpg

tumblr_nueb5wQqX51qh8fino1_540.jpg

*stops halfway*

tumblr_nueb8vkgpN1qh8fino2_540.jpg

Had to throw a lot of food in there but once she realised it wasn't gonna eat her she was popping in and out of it

So glad to get a work out going on :D

tumblr_nueb8vkgpN1qh8fino1_540.jpg

I have videos too but we were running around for an hour so I'm gonna crash with her now. Make cute gifs later :p She picked up jumping pretty quickly. So glad I taught her touch/follow the hand!

Still wish we could find some nice bush to go to but this is also good XD

PS. Re: obedience. Two week 'school break' as the trainers are off at some dog seminar in the US. We are expected to test to Intermediate level on the first day back D:

Recently Thistle politely sniffed and wagged at a small spaniel of some kind, and didn't freak out when an uncontrolled offlead crashed our obedience class. So progress!

She's my best mate and totally deserves everything I can give her to help her be a happy pup. :thumbsup:

tumblr_nsg64mkKlY1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

My dog always likes the top of the scramble best.

In our first class with the "contact" equipment - dog is supposed to touch or contact the coloured section at the bottom of the dog walk going up and down and the scramble a-frame going down (can leap over it going up).

And my dog will stop on the top of the scramble and do pirouettes up there to take in the whole view if I let her. :)

glad Thistle dog was having so much fun.

PS with tunnels - for beginner dogs - you can scrunch them up short so there's not much tunnel and then gradually (session by session) expand them out. It also helps to anchor the tunnel to the ground so it doesn't roll around while the dog is in there.

And I have to supervise the see saw very carefully to prevent jumping off - tho I gave evil hound so much food on it last time - she nicked off to go on it and see if there was some more food - without me - so I guess she's over freaking out about it moving under her (and jumping off the middle of it - bad).

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

My dog always likes the top of the scramble best.

In our first class with the "contact" equipment - dog is supposed to touch or contact the coloured section at the bottom of the dog walk going up and down and the scramble a-frame going down (can leap over it going up).

And my dog will stop on the top of the scramble and do pirouettes up there to take in the whole view if I let her. :)

glad Thistle dog was having so much fun.

PS with tunnels - for beginner dogs - you can scrunch them up short so there's not much tunnel and then gradually (session by session) expand them out. It also helps to anchor the tunnel to the ground so it doesn't roll around while the dog is in there.

And I have to supervise the see saw very carefully to prevent jumping off - tho I gave evil hound so much food on it last time - she nicked off to go on it and see if there was some more food - without me - so I guess she's over freaking out about it moving under her (and jumping off the middle of it - bad).

Haha yeah I should probably look into the rules with the colours and everything, I think getting into agility way down the track could be fun but idk if the crowds watching is every something she'll be okay with.

We also hopped through the hoops! But I think they're a bit too small and low to the ground for her. There was a dismantled large one but I didn't know how to put it together and didn't want to waste our hour!

I will do that to the tunnel! It's less scary than it was, but still a bit scary :( noise+over hear head combo

There was a seesaw but we didn't try it, cause I couldn't work out a way to intro it to her without it startling her too much when it moves :x

Back to Kepala today! The outdoor pool was open but she wouldn't go into it! Too worried about the dogs in the other run I think (looked like boarding dogs). Next time we'll go on a weekday and we'll do the runs first, then the pool when she's more relaxed. She did go in up to her chest but wouldn't take the final plunge XD

Played with the agility things some more, she likes whatever the thing they climb is called. She climbed and sat on top of it a couple of times when I hadn't told her to. I know we're probably not using this stuff 'correctly' but I'm glad she's interacting with "odd" objects

tumblr_nuww2pLL9j1qh8fino2_540.jpg

tumblr_nuww2pLL9j1qh8fino1_540.jpg

tumblr_nuwvtbpVoI1qh8fino3_540.jpg

tumblr_nuwvtbpVoI1qh8fino2_540.jpg

Sorry they're not in focus properly but omfg I love her ears so much

tumblr_nuwvcsmfL61qh8fino1_540.jpg

Stopping mid climb to sit and stare at dogs in the second park over

tumblr_nuwv5p4YpS1qh8fino1_540.jpg

Hot day = icecream!!!

tumblr_nuwwvx8FIe1qh8fino1_500.gif