Pets At Work Policies Prove A Winner

samoyedman

Several local and regional offices I worked for in the state govt had no issue with it. If a storm was brewing people would go home, grab their dogs and bring them back in even. One of the managers was a wildlife carer too so there was always featherless birds and other furless babies squealing and sqwacking from her office. I don't think we ever had an accident inside or anything damaged. Not even any bin raiding and certainly no fights or escapes. Sadly I think it has all changed now and gotten PC.

I used to be all for it - then I "lived through it".

In theory is all sounds great, and don't get me wrong - I have certainly taken advantage of the fact that my office is / (was?) dog friendly - right up til last week then I took Scottie-bum-head to work with me for 3 days straight because we ha the fences re-done. Our "office dog" has recently left us - long story - and I assume that will mean the end of the dog friendly policy.

If you need to negotiate;

poorly behaved dogs

poorly behaved owners

busy work schedules

workers with allergies

it all becomes too hard. To be honest, I would probably vote against having a dog friendly office if I was ever asked again.

There isn't much a can say as I am weary of the privacy of all involved but when you have a senior staff member, a dog with behavioral issues an and a staff member with allergies it's a very difficult situation to be put in.

As a one off? Fine

Bring your dog to work day? Brilliant.

Every. Single. Day? - Not on your nelly.

Hmm real estate office with dogs.

I wonder if they encourage landlords to allow tenants to have pets.

That's what I'd like - residential rental - not allowed to exclude tenant based on if they have pets. And they don't have to disclose. They do have to pay for any damage - as usual.

As for pets in the office, I would like it to be permitted. My hair dresser says I can't bring my dog with me because of some health regulations. I don't understand how hair dressing and dogs are incompatible. One day I will see if I can find said health regulations.

If she said - no dog I'm allergic or my customers are allergic - I'd be fine with that. But health reg? I'm more likely to get some horrible disease from humans ie when she cut my hair and she had a nose dripping sneezing cold at the same time - guess what?

I got a cold too. Not happy.

It would be good if I could bring my dog in on days where it was going to be swelteringly hot, say, over 36 degrees...I could keep an eye on him at work and he could stay cool in my air conditioned office. My home isn't air-conditioned so even leaving him inside isn't a perfect option. I mean, I don't drive so its moot unless I got my husband to drop us at work early. I still think its good practice, rather than people stressing at work over the fate of their fur babies.

I love the idea of it but in reality I don't think I'd get as much work done if my dog was around.

I feel like I'd be too drawn to interact with her or I'd be watching her with other people thinking don't let her jump up on you, or that's not how I ask her to drop etc :laugh:

Hmm real estate office with dogs.

I wonder if they encourage landlords to allow tenants to have pets.

That's what I'd like - residential rental - not allowed to exclude tenant based on if they have pets. And they don't have to disclose. They do have to pay for any damage - as usual.

As for pets in the office, I would like it to be permitted. My hair dresser says I can't bring my dog with me because of some health regulations. I don't understand how hair dressing and dogs are incompatible. One day I will see if I can find said health regulations.

If she said - no dog I'm allergic or my customers are allergic - I'd be fine with that. But health reg? I'm more likely to get some horrible disease from humans ie when she cut my hair and she had a nose dripping sneezing cold at the same time - guess what?

I got a cold too. Not happy.

My dog comes to the hairdresser with me. He plays with the salon dog in the garden whilst my colour develops, then sits on my lap whilst I get it cut and dried.

The salon dog gets invited into people's laps for a cuddle and everyone leaves de-stressed and happy :)

I agree not for all, so plenty of salons they can go to with no dogs.