Work Commitments And Dogs

Jypsi

I am just wanting to know what people do with new puppies or grown dogs when they are at work? Do they remain outdoors, indoors or in a crate or pen or run? Interested to see what people do. Especially if they have a dog prone to barking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were all on alternating shifts Dozer would spend the afternoon out in the yard from about 11am-12pm

Once our housemate was home of an evening which was usually about 5-6pm, Dozer would be locked onto the patio area after his afternoon play session with the housemate and fed.

The confinement on the patio was so that he wouldn't bark/chase the neighbourhood cats that stray into the yard and to stop him from licking cane toads.

He'd stay on the patio until we got home at 11pm-2am, then he'd sleep inside with us.

Dozer only really barks a lot if there's someone home, and they're not letting him inside, We did receive a complaint about him barking in the evenings when the housemate was home but Dozer was on the patio wanting to come in.

After that complaint, dozer was crate trained, and a crate set up in the living room and he'd either chill with our housemate or in his crate of an evening..

My dogs have a doggie door so they can come and go into the lounge room. I shut the rest of the doors.

For future use, I also had a door cut into the garage but have hardly used it to this point.

Dogs bark outside because they are stimulated by things or if they are bored, lonely etc. My dogs are very quiet and people always ask how is this so? It's because they can get inside to the warm and they also have each other. Sure they will occasionally bark at some very strange noise but the only time I had a complaint was when I fostered 2 young dogs and they were playing and barking at the same time. My neighbour who complained said even 1 dog bark was very annoying to her ...

I also walk them before I go to work.

I don't believe in working full time and having a puppy or young dog, I know people do it but it wouldn't work for me. All I'd do is spend my day feeling guilty and worrying what they were up to. The young dogs I had dug up the whole yard and all the plants in it. I'm not prepared to do it again.

I finally have a dog run & a kennel out of the elements with a big shade sale over the roof. So during the day if we're away somewhere we can't take the dog he stays in that. If it's only a couple of hours and ridiculously awful weather he goes in his crate.

Or we can shut the gates to the back yard and he can go in there but if there's stuff on the verandah probably not the best place to put him embarrass.gif or it'll end up everywhere.

Backyard during the day, there is a covered area he has access to with a kennel and warm bedding and a bed off the ground. If I go out at night or I just duck out for a short time he's fine inside just hanging out in the house too. When he wasn't as trustworthy as a pup, he was crated for short periods inside. Now he seems to just sleep on the couch.

Our backyard has good shade and weather protection but also gets nice sunny spots for those cold winter days when one must sunbake. We also have a fully protected seating area supposedly for humans but usually covered in dogs so they will stay drive during even the worst storm. But it was so hot here last summer that I started leaving the dogs inside with the air cond on and now that has become the norm - staying outside while your mum is out is so last year! I'm not working many shifts these days so they aren't inside for long but I'm trying to get a more stable job so they will have to get used to being outside day dogs again at some point.

Hmm, reading some of these my dogs sound neglected. They get an hour walk before I go to work and their kennels are on a large covered PATIO in the back yard. They don't have access to the front unless I am home. Jonah has a heating element in his and Jesse has a double coat so doesn't need one. There are lots of toys to play with although that doesn't stop Jesse digging holes. If I go out at night I leave them in the house and if it's around 40 deg or over I leave the back door open with the air con running so they have access to the house and there are 2 clam shells of water in summer. I also have a surveillance camera in the back yard so I can spy on them during the day and shout at Jesse if I catch her using Jonah's bed as a toy

Edited by Canetoad

My older girl is left free with a dog door and the pup (now 6 month old BC) is penned during the work day (from about 730 till 430 ish). She is walked morning and night and left with a frozen kong during the day.

I am out of the house from 7.30am until at least 6pm most days so when I have puppies I have a friend who visits a couple of times a day to feed and play with them. I wouldn't have a puppy if I wasn't able to provide that break during the day, feel guilty enough with the adults but they have spacious runs with plenty of room to play and each others company. I personally wouldn't have an only dog working full time, it would be a long lonely day for them by themselves

I'm lucky in a way, I leave for work at 8:30 and OH is home by 1:30. The dog is outside during those hours, has a few treat toys to keep her occupied. A kennel that she doesn't use because she prefers to frolic in the rain :laugh:

I'm very lucky as I work shifts and my partner can change when he comes home so at most our dogs are left alone for a max of 5 hrs and they are in kennels down in my double garage during that time as we have some very strange neighbours who believe it's alright to feed my dogs their table scraps.

I leave a radio on for them and the large roller door up so they get natural light and they either have a huge game of fetch or a walk before and after we get home (depending on times, weather etc) they're allowed inside once we're home.

This goes for both our adults and babies. I'm a firm believer in starting how you mean to continue.

Current pup comes to work with me, but previous pups have been left home, usually outside. I have older dogs that babysit. :) Dogs are inside when we are home and sleep in our bedroom. They don't bark during the day at all.

Our guys aren't usually alone for more than a few hours and are walked first thing each morning. If we're out they stay inside as one is an LGD = barker :laugh: and we live in a really dodgy area.

When we're home they can choose to be in or out and they sleep inside, one on the bed and one on the couch.

We both work full time and are gone for approx. 12 hours per day, sometimes longer on Fridays.

We have a dog door and Kira can stay in the back yard which has an undercover pergola or come inside as far as the kitchen.

I don't feel guilty at all. I have to work and I'm not going to not have a dog so I do the best I can in my circumstances and I don't get hung up comparing what we do to what other people do. She gets walked and gets lots of attention when we get home and spends lots of time with us on the weekends.

When we had a puppy many moons ago family members helped up out by coming to do the midday feed.

Edited by Malamum

We both work full time and are gone for approx. 12 hours per day, sometimes longer on Fridays.

We have a dog door and Kira can stay in the back yard which has an undercover pergola or come inside as far as the kitchen.

I don't feel guilty at all. I have to work and I'm not gong to not have a dog so I do the best I can in my circumstances and I don't get hung up comparing what we do to what other people do. She gets walked and gets lots of attention when we get home and spends lots of time with us on the weekends.

When we had a puppy many moons ago family members helped up out by coming to do the midday feed.

Exactly this.

I'm gone the best part of 10-11 hours a day and dog has full access inside and outside.

I don't feel any guilt as I know he is quite happy sleeping away and he gets my attention outside of work and weekends.