Question About Lure Coursing

Kitt

Hi all,

I've been thinking about taking my pet greyhounds to lure coursing. I've never been before, but am really keen to take my dogs to an event where they can really stretch their legs and have a good run.

I live in Brisbane, and I've checked out the Qld Lure Coursing Association website. I'm considering taking my dogs to a run in August, at Wally Tate Park in Kuraby.

My question is whether some dogs simply don't want to run, especially if they get distracted by other dogs and people at the event. Both my hounds have a moderate-high prey drive, but I'm wondering if they might get distracted and not chase the lure. Does that ever happen? If that happens, would we be laughed off the course?! :o

If there are any DOL members who regularly go to the Kuraby runs, I would love to hear about your experience of the event.

Thanks!

Kitt.

Yes, some dogs aren't interested in chasing the lure. And some take a while to settle and get interested. Others run a few meters then get distracted and go for a romp...You never know until you try. At a fun day I attended, there were about 20 different dog breeds - including my chihuahua! The only ones that didn't run where 2 whippets and a basenji !!

As long as you go to a "fun day" or practice day, I'm sure you'll be welcomed and no one will laugh. Give it a try! NB. Maybe just take one dog at a time, so you can fully concentrate on that dog and encouraging it out on the course, and don't have to get someone else to mind your other dog off the course. And if your dogs have prey drive, do be careful of other peoples small dogs - the above mentioned Basenji had a couple of good tries at my chi - lunging and snapping at her - whilst the owner was distracted with managing her 2 other dogs.

Yep, it happens and is even sometimes the reason greyhounds end up not racing. If that is the reason you got your greyhounds dont let it put you off trying them out though. Training them to race can be quite different to lure coursing. Some dogs like one kind of chasing and not another. There's a whippet who comes to our straight drag lure days and wasn't interested in chasing but when we set up a lure course she was a completely different dog and was mad for it.

Just something else to consider is the reason you have those particular greyhounds. Were they ex racers and if so, why were they retired? If it was due to injury make sure it's safe for them to try coursing.

Yes, some dogs aren't interested in chasing the lure. And some take a while to settle and get interested. Others run a few meters then get distracted and go for a romp...You never know until you try. At a fun day I attended, there were about 20 different dog breeds - including my chihuahua! The only ones that didn't run where 2 whippets and a basenji !!

As long as you go to a "fun day" or practice day, I'm sure you'll be welcomed and no one will laugh. Give it a try! NB. Maybe just take one dog at a time, so you can fully concentrate on that dog and encouraging it out on the course, and don't have to get someone else to mind your other dog off the course. And if your dogs have prey drive, do be careful of other peoples small dogs - the above mentioned Basenji had a couple of good tries at my chi - lunging and snapping at her - whilst the owner was distracted with managing her 2 other dogs.

Greys should be muzzled for the run, racing greyhounds are muzzled during a race and they are only running with their own kind so the temptation may be too great with other breeds around them IMO.

Thanks Gallomph and Kirislin.

Gallomph, my boyfriend would come with me so he could hold one dog while the other ran, and I will definitely ensure that my hounds don't scare or chase other dogs. I will look out for "fun days" - thanks. :)

Kirislin, yeah, I was thinking that might be the case - different dogs like different kinds of chasing. It won't be a problem if my dogs don't like lure coursing. They are much loved pets. I like to ensure that they have a variety of fun activities to do, and thought that lure coursing might be something that they would enjoy. If they decide they don't want to run, no problem. We'll continue playing games in the back yard. :)

Thanks for your replies.

Greys should be muzzled for the run, racing greyhounds are muzzled during a race and they are only running with their own kind so the temptation may be too great with other breeds around them IMO.

Good point, thanks HazyWal.

Yes, some dogs aren't interested in a chasing a bag.

If your dogs are off the track, I'd suggest you have them vet checked prior to running them. if they retired due to injury, you need to know if they will be fit enough to course - they will be asked to turn harder than they ever did racing.

Hi Kitt. At Kuraby most dogs run separate. There is also a policy that only one dog on the enclosed field (unless you want the dogs running together). As for dogs not wanting to chase there is quite a few dogs that go every month that don't chase :). Also quite a few dogs that are hard to catch after running. It's all about having fun. Hope you can come along on the 5th August.

Neither Delta nor Charlie were that interested the first time. Someone suggested I run them together and by the end of that first run together I had created lure monsters LOL They have also been used to encourage friend's dogs to run that weren't keen to chase on their own. Running two together seems to make a big difference to some dogs.

Yes, some dogs aren't interested in a chasing a bag.

If your dogs are off the track, I'd suggest you have them vet checked prior to running them. if they retired due to injury, you need to know if they will be fit enough to course - they will be asked to turn harder than they ever did racing.

Thanks Haredown. One of my hounds has a very mild heart murmur, so I'll check with the vet.

Hi Kitt. At Kuraby most dogs run separate. There is also a policy that only one dog on the enclosed field (unless you want the dogs running together). As for dogs not wanting to chase there is quite a few dogs that go every month that don't chase :). Also quite a few dogs that are hard to catch after running. It's all about having fun. Hope you can come along on the 5th August.

Thanks Pheenyx. I assumed that the dogs would run alone, but I thought mine still might be distracted by the general environment - i.e., other dogs and people nearby. But I suppose it's worth a try!

Neither Delta nor Charlie were that interested the first time. Someone suggested I run them together and by the end of that first run together I had created lure monsters LOL They have also been used to encourage friend's dogs to run that weren't keen to chase on their own. Running two together seems to make a big difference to some dogs.

That's interesting, DeltaCharlie. If I take mine, I'll see how they go alone. If they don't seem interested, running together might be an option. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I've never seen any derision of a dog that didn't chase.

It's up to the dog. You can encourage it, you can try to raise interest but the dog decides. One of mine decided he'd rather be in the car. embarrass.gif

We've just started lure coursing in Sydney. My two female greys are having a wonderful time. However, lure coursing is actually more difficult and more intense than racing. For starters, the courses are generally longer than most races, with some tight cornering. If you're trialling, then the dogs will run twice in one day. Greys also don't switch off, so they will tend to run until they drop.

So, if you're going to do this, I'd strongly suggest that you have your dogs free running flat out several times a week and walking long distances the other days. Get them vet checked. A heart murmur in one of my dogs would mean that I wouldn't risk it. I'd also check for issues with joints and any old breaks. Arthritis would also mean a no.

The two I course never raced, and so are both completely sound. One still managed to tear a tricep her first day out and won't go back for another six weeks. She's been off for two months because she simply won't be fit or strong enough for her body to manage the excitement or intensity without injury of killing herself.

If your greys are middle aged, not race fit or approaching it, and carrying any old injuries, I would proceed only with extreme caution. If they love it, they'll LOVE it, but they'll run themselves into the ground if you let them. And vet bills are expensive!

One of mine decided he'd rather be in the car. embarrass.gif

Oh, bless!

We've just started lure coursing in Sydney. My two female greys are having a wonderful time. However, lure coursing is actually more difficult and more intense than racing. For starters, the courses are generally longer than most races, with some tight cornering. If you're trialling, then the dogs will run twice in one day. Greys also don't switch off, so they will tend to run until they drop.

So, if you're going to do this, I'd strongly suggest that you have your dogs free running flat out several times a week and walking long distances the other days. Get them vet checked. A heart murmur in one of my dogs would mean that I wouldn't risk it. I'd also check for issues with joints and any old breaks. Arthritis would also mean a no.

The two I course never raced, and so are both completely sound. One still managed to tear a tricep her first day out and won't go back for another six weeks. She's been off for two months because she simply won't be fit or strong enough for her body to manage the excitement or intensity without injury of killing herself.

If your greys are middle aged, not race fit or approaching it, and carrying any old injuries, I would proceed only with extreme caution. If they love it, they'll LOVE it, but they'll run themselves into the ground if you let them. And vet bills are expensive!

Ok, sounds like it might not be the best idea for Lucy, who is 8 years old and has a minor heart murmur.

Cassiel, my nearly-4-year-old, might enjoy it, though.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Cassiel definitely sounds like a better bet! I didn't want to be a downer. It's just when we started, we really went in blind and Paige ended up at the vet as a result. I blame myself completely, and would hate to not say anything and have something go wrong.

Cassiel definitely sounds like a better bet! I didn't want to be a downer. It's just when we started, we really went in blind and Paige ended up at the vet as a result. I blame myself completely, and would hate to not say anything and have something go wrong.

and a race fit greyhound ended up very sick and at the vets the day after the next fun day. Your dog needs to be very fit and healthy and even then they can suffer serious problems.

Thank you - I appreciate the advice. :)

and a race fit greyhound ended up very sick and at the vets the day after the next fun day. Your dog needs to be very fit and healthy and even then they can suffer serious problems.

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate other people's knowledge and experiences.

Brandiandwe I think I just figured out who you are!

You may recognise this screaming Whippet.

Down at Kuraby, they don't have fun days, but every event is a fun day. If your dog doesn't run, he's one of many, that come and have a go, sometimes it takes a few goes for them to catch on. Sometimes it's just a great social event for you and your dogs as they're a fantastic group of people.