Buying New Puppy But Keeping Registration In Breeders Name

sophmadz

Hi,

I am buying a purebred puppy from a breeder, and the breeder would like to keep the registration under his name and when possible use my puppy for breeding. I don't have an issue about coming to an agreement about lending out the services of my dog when required but am worried about the registration ownership details. Is this common practice? what legal issues may arise?

Thanks for your input

Soph.

I'm a litle confused. Are you talking about standard breeders terms, or something different? It's not unusual over here for puppies to be sold on terms, particularly so with some of the less prevelant breeds.

Under normal terms, essentially you own the puppy, but the breeder will access it at around 6-12 months old to decide if they want to use the dog in their breeding program. If they decide to proceed with using it then generally you hand the dog over to the breeder for pre-determined periods for matings, pregnancy, whelping, etc (depending boy or girl)

Terms can work well if you have a good relationship with your breeder and trust them to look after your dogs and your interests. I do know of circumstances where they have turned nasty, but I'd say almost every Bully sold in WA is on some form of terms and in general don't hear of many issues.

One thing to consider though is what sex puppy you want. Beeding is obviouslly much more disruptive for bitches than studs, and depending on the breeder time periods away, feeding requirements etc are all a consideration.

I'd say don't be scared off by the arrangement, but go in eyes wide open. As with any contract, don't sign it unless you understand it, and any breeder worth their salt will sit with you and work through he document explaining it all in detail. I suggest you make sure things like vet checks, food cost, transport etc are all covered off before proceeding.

Hi again,

WOW thanks for all of the great advice, you have provided me alot of food for thought.

I have no plans to be a breeder or enter the dog into comps of any sort, I just wanted to add a purebred Cocker Spaniel pup to my family. My 2 main concerns are what rights would I have to the pup when I am not the registered owner, can the breeder just take ownership? and the implications of not having the dog desexed for example the marking of territory continuously while out walking.

Once again thanks for your input.

Soph.

Hi again,

WOW thanks for all of the great advice, you have provided me alot of food for thought.

I have no plans to be a breeder or enter the dog into comps of any sort, I just wanted to add a purebred Cocker Spaniel pup to my family. My 2 main concerns are what rights would I have to the pup when I am not the registered owner, can the breeder just take ownership? and the implications of not having the dog desexed for example the marking of territory continuously while out walking.

Soph.

You need to phone your canine association & ask them who the legal owner would be, I am not sure but I think it would be the breeder.

Your entire dog will mark territory, that is often the reason why people have their pet dogs desexed, he may also hump the legs of you & your family although not all entire males do this.

if you just want a pet its best to get a dog entirely in your name & desex it.

If I were you I'd be buying a pup from a breeder who will sell to you outright and enjoy sole ownership of your pet.

I'd not be paying for a dog that I wouldn't own and that the breeder expected to use for stud duties.

I agree here

Same. :)

If you are doing this because you cant afford to buy one outright perhaps look at getting a slightly older cocker? i know with my breed ,breeders keep dogs to breed from or show and then you can get them much cheaper when they are done.

I got my last girl who was 2 for the cost of desexing.

It maybe worth looking at this route?

Hi again,

Soph.

AFAIK ANKC registration does not prove ownership - it's the microchip & council registration which has more weight. That said, you need to have included in the contract that the breeder has no rights except as outlined in that contract and that the dog is your property.

Marking is a matter of training. If you let the dog pee on everything while you're walking, he will.

Humping is also a matter of training.

Desexed dogs hump too! (and mark)

If you are doing this because you cant afford to buy one outright perhaps look at getting a slightly older cocker? i know with my breed ,breeders keep dogs to breed from or show and then you can get them much cheaper when they are done.

I got my last girl who was 2 for the cost of desexing.

It maybe worth looking at this route?

Over here the arrangment is generally that you pay full price for the puppy, and then have that refunded if the puppy is used for breeding, and if there is an agreed minimum number of healthy pups come from the mating. I would never release a puppy for a reduced cost upfront as am a firm believer in the price being one of the indications of commitment. People are not going to pay $1800+ for a puppy on a whim...

I was merely trying to give her an alternative option. i am a single mum too, i have had my breed all my life, i don't have the almost $2000 price tag for a pup, plus i don't like pups anymore, ( years of fostering 9 month old bull breeds who destroy everything is enough). :laugh:

I got great advice here on breeders whose type i liked, then contacted them and they had several mature dogs ,( under 3) for sale. i would go this route everytime now.

I was merely trying to give her an alternative option. i am a single mum too, i have had my breed all my life, i don't have the almost $2000 price tag for a pup, plus i don't like pups anymore, ( years of fostering 9 month old bull breeds who destroy everything is enough). :laugh:

I got great advice here on breeders whose type i liked, then contacted them and they had several mature dogs ,( under 3) for sale. i would go this route everytime now.

Yes no problems is a great way of picking up a more mature dog. I was just explaining how it works, and that IME it's not a cheaper way of accessing a puppy.

....people are not going to pay $1800+ for a puppy on a whim...

I really wish that were true. People walk into petshops and hand over up to $3500.00 or more for an ill-bred puppy from irresponsible breeders. icon_smile_mad.gif

Sorry, bit off topic.

To the OP, I agree with others - don't do this unless you have a solid written contract that you understand fully.

As well as all the things already mentioned - what happens if ine of the bitches gives your dog a sexually transmitted infection? Who pays for the treatment?

What happens if a bitch is ready to mate and it's your sisters' wedding? Do you have to drop everything to make the dog available?

If this as not all worked out in advance, so that both you and the breeder are crystal clear on who has what responsibilities, it can go pie shaped very quickly.

It can work well if homwork is done in advance. So make sure your eyes are wide open.

Edited by RuralPug

Hi,

I am buying a purebred puppy from a breeder, and the breeder would like to keep the registration under his name and when possible use my puppy for breeding. I don't have an issue about coming to an agreement about lending out the services of my dog when required but am worried about the registration ownership details. Is this common practice? what legal issues may arise?

Thanks for your input

Soph.

Is it a Qld Breeder? according to the Dogs Qld rules they have to transfer the dog into your name within 14 days of it going to your place.

healthy pups come from the mating. I would never release a puppy for a reduced cost upfront as am a firm believer in the price being one of the indications of commitment. People are not going to pay $1800+ for a puppy on a whim...

I really wish that were true. People walk into petshops and hand over up to $3500.00 or more for an ill-bred puppy from irresponsible breeders.

Beat me to it, sadly. I once saw a petshop selling "poodlexmaltese puppies(forgot what the fancy name was) for $1800. Thing is, all the pups were sable coloured.. snork. They all sold within a week.

... I once saw a petshop selling "poodlexmaltese puppies(forgot what the fancy name was) for $1800. Thing is, all the pups were sable coloured.. snork. They all sold within a week.

Poodles do come in sable. You normally only actually SEE sable in baby poodles because clipping removes the end of the hair, which if course id the dark coloured bit in a sable. I do take your point though, that pet shop/puppy farm claims of breed and breed mix is often dubious.

I have a dog here in my rescue that was sold by a puppy farm as an Australian Terrier. She is cocker spaniel sized, with a poodle type coat LOL

healthy pups come from the mating. I would never release a puppy for a reduced cost upfront as am a firm believer in the price being one of the indications of commitment. People are not going to pay $1800+ for a puppy on a whim...

I really wish that were true. People walk into petshops and hand over up to $3500.00 or more for an ill-bred puppy from irresponsible breeders.

Beat me to it, sadly. I once saw a petshop selling "poodlexmaltese puppies(forgot what the fancy name was) for $1800. Thing is, all the pups were sable coloured.. snork. They all sold within a week.

Always with the strawman arguments are on forums...

Yes I'm sure there are exceptions but in general, price is an indication of commitment (which was my point). I often have unsuitable dreamers contact me. When I tell them that the cost of my puppies is approx $2000 the vast majority never hear from again.

That doesn't mean that some people don't buy expensive puppies from pet shops though so congratulations.

The average price for a designer mutt round here is nearly $2000.

I don't thnk it a measure of your commitment if you cant afford the price tag for a pup, and vice versa. there is more to it.

Edited by juice

Sighs. Yes, there is a lot more to it. That's why I said it's AN indication. I didn't say it was the only thing that mattered. Personally I take a range of measures including phone interview, house visits, proof of home ownership, google search etc.

The inference here seems to be that these so called designer puppies aren't loved, cared for, etc which I very much doubt. I also know of some breeders that take no effort at all to check potential puppy buyers out and sell to whoever has the cash...

We see many pedigree dogs come through the rescue. Can only assume at least some of them came from registered breeders.

Edited by BullBreedBoy