First Week With Puppy At Home

JaspersDad

It's commonly recommended to feed four times a day. Reason is that they have small tummies and fast metabolisms and want to avoid bloat. I feed all my puppies 3 times a day from around 8 weeks onwards and it works for us. I don't subscribe to this meal time regularity concept, and don't recommend it.

I'd say what you feed is far more important than 3 vs 4 times a day. My advice is to feed a broad range of high quality foods from early on, and don't let puppy dictate terms to you. He eats what he gets in the allowed time or he gets nothing. Will soon learn.

Okay. Step 1: don't panic!

All good points. I'm naturally wound a little tight but we are loving the little guy. I'm just worried with the howling in the crate mainly. He's a baby yes, but I also feel bad that I let me baby sleep in poo for a while there so just trying to see if I can prevent it next time. I've only got one week to be around him all the time, so my main focus is to make it easy for him when I'm gone. I don't want to lavish attention on him over the next week and then not be around for 8 hours every day.

But I take what you said on board. Not a huge deal. Just concerned about the little guy. We're loving parents so he'll be fine, just want to make it a little easier early on.

Yes you need to lower your expectations a bit I'm afraid. It all sounds very normal. He's still a baby and has only been with you a few days. Toilet training can commonly take weeks. I think the fact he is going outside is great but it won't happen overnight.

Feeding 4 times a day is also pretty normal for a baby puppy.

I don't have advice on crates as I don't use them sorry, but you may just need to ignore the whining a bit otherwise he will click that every time he whines you give him attention. He shouldn't need to wee every hour overnight so maybe decide you will let him out once or twice and then just ignore any other carry on :)

Edited by Dame Aussie

Agree. Relax. Enjoy. Welcome to puppies!

100% agree putting the crate next to your bed. When he cries quietly put a leash on, don't say anything, carry him outside, let him toilet, pick him up and pop him straight back to bed. So the trip itself is ONLY about toileting not play time. Make sure he is warm enough. It is very cold without your litter mates even if you have plenty of blankets. I use a Snugglesafe for my pup - works a treat.

Toilet training can take some weeks especially for babies with tiny bladders BUT I guarantee he will be quicker than a human baby!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Totally agree with crate next to your bed, and with making sure he's really warm .... snugglesafe is great (works for oldies too :D . If he's not a chewer, there are some nice soft cuddly mediate toys around for puppies to snuggle into that might help. If mine have been unsettled in their crates as babies, I can just talk to them, or put my hand down so they can smell it. If they really insist, then I take them out as TSD describes. (That works for oldsters too ).

I'd also agree with throw the plan out ... it's fine to have an overall plan, but not too much detail. I would definitely ditch the bit about doing outside toileting and then switching to puppy pads later. I would be giving him little bits of play pen time this week, and let him use the puppy pads or paper while he's on there. Will reduce your stress a bit I think, and maybe his.

I would definitely go with the 4 or at least 3 meals a day while he is so little, but not totally by the clock.

Do hope you have a good day and night today, with your delightful little bundle of cuteness. Thanks for the 'payment' photo :heart:

Our puppy preschool behaviorist suggested toilet training on lead. Don't remove the leash until there has been bladder and bowel action (or just bladder if it's that time). Then, reward and take the leash off for outside play time. That way, pup gets the idea that play time happens after toilet time and it acts as a reward.

We didn't really have to 'teach' Basker to use his indoor toilet, he just did it. It took a little while, because we set up a soft warm bed in his crate but being an arctic breed he decided the cold hard floor was in fact his sleeping area so this soft warm thing must be his toilet *facepalm*. Now, he's pretty content with always going outside but the indoor toilet is handy on days he has to stay inside due to the weather.

We've found the key to training Bas is working out what motivates him. It's taken us a good four months to get him to a point where he's pretty well behaved at home, and we're still working on other places. Basically, his prime motivation is to be with his people. So, if he is doing things we don't want him to, we remove him for the people either with a crate or a pen or a door (ie, we go into the next room or inside) for a short time - even just 30 seconds is enough and he gets the idea very quickly.

I like the leash idea. I tried it a couple of times today. I put the collar on this morning and he was completely fine with it. When it was time to go out, I used the leash and there was a changed behaviour. Nothing crazy. Instead of chasing me around, he just walked away from me. Even if I put the loosest leash possible, knelt on the ground and called to him, he would still move away. But I think once I get to the point where he goes the toilet and then I release him, it'll good.

Also the motivating by people is another great idea. I think that might be the key for this little guy but we'll see. Appreciate the support. I know none of this is uncommon. Think I just like to hear from people that gone through their own version of this. After last nights antic's, he pretty much slept all day. Had to take him out a bunch of times because it looks like things aren't agreeing with his tummy still. Bring on tonight. Hoping we can tire the little guy out and then he'll drift off to a dream of chasing cars and burying bones.

Same as the breeder. Mixture of eukanuba and wet puppy food. He's struggling with eukanuba at the moment. Basically just liking the wet food off it. So I've been wetting it to make it easier for him which seemed to work.

The last time I put him out was 4am, same story. Back in the crate, howling. My partner gets up at 5am goes to let him out again and he's gone number 2 in the crate. Nightmare. To make it worse, the toy that we gave the breeder to get the litter smell on it was covered in poop as well so I've got no idea what I need to do there.

To me, this is why your pup was howling - and it's not a bad thing at all. Pup was telling you that he needed to go out, and you didn't listen. I guess you will next time!

Don't feel bad, you have had your pup for such a short time and you are both still learning how to read each other. Accidents in the house will happen for quite some time until your pup learns bladder control and you learn his patterns. It does not mean that your pup will never be toilet trained like a certain popular author claims. I use the leash method and take my pup to a particular spot. After a week she knows that the sooner she goes, the sooner she can get back inside the warm house. Don't worry, your pup will catch on in time.

Also, it is so cold at the moment. Make sure that your pup is warm enough at night or it will be harder to settle him. The crate must be made warm and comfy and be close to your bed so you can soothe puppy if necessary. Remember first and foremost that this is a baby animal that has been taken from his mother and littermates - be kind and patient and he will adjust.

The difference between I want out of this crate and I need to go out to do a wee is very hard to distinguish. I mentioned this in my two puppies thread. I have been, only recently, in this exact same position of working out if puppy (two puppies) was having a tantrum or needing to go outside.

I didn't use the leash method because it simply didn't work. Puppies have to be trained to be on leash and mine considered theirs toys for some time. Plus, taking two out on leash at once? Horrendous. For Roo, who has been the more difficult to housetrain, I have to really be on the ball and make going outside a tremendously exciting game where glorious treats result. I have, also, taken to leaving their water bowl outside so if they want a drink they have to go to the back door.

Edited by Sheridan

I was lucky enough that my breeder had my pup accustomed to a crate when I brought her home (mum and pups could all wander in and out of it freely and their bed was in there), so mine did not put up much of a fuss about having to sleep in there at night. She only really whined on the first night, and even then only for a short time (thank you lovely lovely breeder for giving me the precious gift of sleep!). I started with the leash from the very first time that she was taken outside to go to the toilet and she learned very quickly - the leash was used only until she had toileted and then I'd let her off. I did the same with my other dog when he was a pup too.

As for trying to train two pups at once...better you than me! I don't think I would have taken that on myself. One puppy at a time is more than enough chaos for me :laugh: