Puppy Emails

PooMother

Hi Everyone

If this post is not in the correct area please let me know and I will move it.

With all this talk again about BYBs etc etc I was wondering if any of you have first hand knowledge and names of people who may have contacted you wanting a puppy or have been duped? Send me a message if you do have any info if you prefer.

I have had some emails and I don't understand why someone would want a pet puppy and be willing to pay for flying when there are breeders in their state? Not saying they are BYBs it just seems odd to me

All of my puppies went interstate - but they are a rare breed and while there are breeders around the country its more a matter of being on a waiting list for x amount of months and finally getting a puppy. I get enquiries from around the world - none of which I think are suss. But very different breed to yours in terms of popularity etc.

Guest Doglady0419

I also get from all over.....

Buyers on many occasions just want a pup ASAP and will seek one out wherever they can.

Get them on the phone - email is fine for first and later communications but you can tell a lot by speaking to someone. You don't have to interrogate them but ask them leading questions...have you got dogs? Cats? Chooks? Have you had this breed before? Why do you want this breed? Is colour important? Why male or female? See how keen they are to talk about their own experience, past and present pets. Have they spoken to any other breeders? Are they looking for an active pet? etc etc. I'm always very honest and open about my own dogs too in terms of whether my pups would suit their situation etc. I also prefer to have met puppy buyers first and preferably see them interacting with my dogs. It tells you a lot. Otherwise they need to come with a very good reference!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I get a lot of interstate queries. It does make the process a little more difficult as I do like to meet people if possible (and many who are keen will visit if they can. I have one from WA who is on the east coast next week and making a special day trip to visit with me). I have a questionnaire, and I talk to them a lot. I try and get a 'feel' for them. Often they will send me photos of their yard, them with their current or past dogs etc and you can tell a little from that. An address means you can also check google earth. You can Google their name and email address etc too to see if anything untoward comes up. There are many reasons they may contact you - they like the look of your dogs or something about what you do, you came up in a search, you come recommended, scarcity of pups, or just putting the feelers out anywhere they can in the hopes of a reply. My first purebred dog many moons ago came from interstate and was flown to me sight unseen after several phone calls, so I don't automatically discount them, as it may potentially be another 'me'.