Growing A Large Pup

*kirty*

Has anyone got any good links to give to a newbie GSD owner? Pup is 8mths old, was desexed at 6mths and weighs 42kg! I have met the pup and he is lovely but overweight!! He has no waist. But their trainer has said he is too skinny!?! Their vet has concerns about his hips but he looks OK and the vet didn't get the hips properly assessed so I have told them not to stress. They already take him swimming and I have suggested to keep him light. I believe they feed super premium kibble but not sure what type. I feel like a crazy dog lady when I talk to 'normal' people lol so I thought some links might give me more credibility. :) Thanks!

I used the links on this page heavily.

http://www.gsdcv.org.au/feeding_your_puppy

My vet has always commented that it's lovely to see a dog that's at a lean but healthy weight. There is an age to weight table in one of the downloads, specifically for GSD's done by Karen Hedburg, who is very well respected.

I fed Royal Canin GSD junior and followed their feeding guide loosely... They break it into desired adult weights and I picked the lowest weight which was just under 30kg if I remember correctly (we're on raw now and my last empty bag recently went in the bin). I did cut the kibble slightly and feed a chicken drumstick once a day as well.

With regards to the hips, it would be great for them to contact their local GsD club who can guide them through this if they want to go down this path.... Swimming as mentioned it great, not sure if they are using treats for training, but these need to be factored in, maybe using carrots or the actual biscuits as an option. I'd be concerned if one of my pups weighed that much.....reducing the food is key and no way would he be skinny at that weight. There is lots of great articles and links on the GSDC of Vic site which would be helpful for all newbie owners :)

Good articles there. Particularly the second one. I'd say the vast majority of dogs I see out and about are in average to poor condition.

My favourite thing is when someone with a clearly overweight dog trys to tell me that my dogs aren't being fed enough and are too skinny...

Good articles there. Particularly the second one. I'd say the vast majority of dogs I see out and about are in average to poor condition.

My favourite thing is when someone with a clearly overweight dog trys to tell me that my dogs aren't being fed enough and are too skinny...

I hear ya. Try owning a Labrador!!

^I've heard people with fit labradors complain because people have reported them for animal cruelty, because people think they are starving their dogs. This is how stupid and dangerous it is to promote fat labs (and other breeds...)

Those charts are fine BUT they don't show what different breeds require.

A Lab should have well sprung barrel ribs,most people have no idea what that means but will look at a good Lab & say fat.

That style of picture is never shown just a your dog should look like this & its not correct .

To many Labs these days aren't breed with correct spring of rib & look like heavier Kelpies in body type so you cant compare apples with oranges .

A fat dog is easy to see ,correct rib carriage many have no idea

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, I saw this dog recently and his owners have cut down his food and he has dropped a few kg. He looks so much better! They have really taken all the advice on board. :) Also found out the stupid trainer who told them he was too thin, also told them that you should fast your dog one day a week...