Babies And Dogs!

Pheebs

Hubby and I are blessed with Maggie, a 8yo Boxer/Bullmastiff mix. After our Great Dane, Lucy died in November - we set out to find the perfect breeder for a British Bulldog pup. All was going well, we met with our breeder, went to a few shows and all was going swimmingly. We were (are?) due to bring pup home in the first week of August.

That was until hubby and I (excitedly) found out we're nearly 8 weeks pregnant - our first bub will be due in the last week of February.

Now I'm scratching my head figuring out what to do. Maggie is quite simply amazing - I had my 18mth and 5 year old nieces stay with me the last week and she was superbly behaved and gives me great confidence that she will take to the new human addition fairly well. I don't want to jeopardise that in any way, shape or form.

I've had experience with multi-dog households, I've had experience with pups. What I have zero experience with is babies of the human variety :laugh:

I'm fortunate enough to be able to stay at home and don't see myself going back to work any time soon. Hubby is semi-retired.

Any suggestions for those who've been through it? Part of me tells myself it'll be okay as we'll have a solid 6 months of commitment to successful integration of a puppy with Maggie and enforcing rules, boundaries and appropriate behaviour in a pup (which is a lifetime commitment but you know what I mean). I also feel that it might be somewhat easier with a bub than with a toddler. I also feel it might be a welcome distraction for Maggie as she's about to undergo a whole lot of change. We love Maggie dearly, and at 8 years of age know she's not going to be around forever so would like (perhaps optimistically) her to show any prospective pups the ropes and hopefully some of her delightful personality might rub off :laugh:

I also think the timing is wrong, I'm feeling all kinds of seedy and am wondering if it's more effort/energy than it's worth.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences please!! The breeder has been an absolute star and is very supportive of us whichever path we choose.

Edited by Pheebs

Hopefully by August you'll be getting into some 2nd trimester goodness. Hopefully you won't be feeling sick anymore, and will still be able to move somewhat freely. I reckon the timing is as good as it could be in the next few years!

If you can get the hellish part of having a new puppy out of the way before bub arrives then I think you'll be fine :)

I agree with Stressmagnet - the first trimester is usually the worst for tiredness and morning sickness that lasts all day. You really don't feel like doing anything but napping all day.

How old does Lucy behave? Is she a 'young' 8 year old that wouldn't mind a pup around the place, or is she quite sedate and set in her ways?

I think if Lucy doesn't mind a new pup, it's great timing. I surprised my 6 year old greyhound with a baby (human), and then a few months on, surprised her with another baby (puppy). She was such a laidback dog that it was fine with her. Juggling a newish baby with a new puppy was a bit difficult, but you'll hopefully have your pup already house trained and with routine in place before your bubs comes along. And not having to go back to work, and with your hubby around most of them, will be a huge help.

I agree with Stressmagnet - the first trimester is usually the worst for tiredness and morning sickness that lasts all day. You really don't feel like doing anything but napping all day.

wrong chocolate lab owner hippo ;)

I'm going to go against the grain here....

you have no idea re: what the puppy's temp will be, or what the baby's will be either. Some babies are coll-icy and you will be living off a few hours of sleep (if you're lucky) and not have time for an adolescent dog. Dogs are often easy as puppies and can then test the boundaries at about 6 - 12 months.

You've gone through a lot to get this far, and I personally wouldn't risk upsetting things by introducing new stressors. I'd just be happy to have Magie and focus on getting her ready for the new addition (new born babies smell and act differently to toddlers too).

Edited by megan_

Aww congrats on the pregnancy! How exciting!

I'm thinking along the same lines as Megan too.

you are blessed with an awesome, cruisy dog that sounds like she will take to having a Bub in the house very well, why make life harder by adding a puppy :)

I'd probably wait if it were me. You just don't know what to expect with a new puppy and baby. It's likely everything would be fine, but I'd be inclined to wait until you're at least into a routine with the baby and then get a new pup. That's just what I'd do though, only you guys really know what you can handle :)

Personally I wouldn't do it, if you get an easy baby and puppy things will go smoothly however if you get a child like my third it will turn your life upside down and managing an adolescent dog will be the last thing you need.

I am at the moment in a predicament myself, I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant (complete surprise) have 5 dogs, 2 of them are under a year old. If I had of known another bub was on the cards ( my youngest is 8) we would have never got either of the pups. I am at the moment starting to worry if il cope since I have a good idea what lies ahead.

Aww congrats on the pregnancy! How exciting!

I'm thinking along the same lines as Megan too.

you are blessed with an awesome, cruisy dog that sounds like she will take to having a Bub in the house very well, why make life harder by adding a puppy :)

Ditto.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have been in and out of hospital, bad HG and can hardly walk due to my hips and pelvis playing up. I've even had to finish work early and can hardly look after my son.

A puppy would have been a nightmare (and I was offered a puppy a few months ago and said no)

You don't know how the pup will be or how the pregnancy will go. I couldn't do it.

But congratulations!

Yeah, there can be complications in a pregnancy that could mean time in hospital or limited mobility etc and a puppy thrown into that could make it really hard. Its just so unpredictable. A friend of mine ended up on crutches and then bed rest only about 4 months into her pregnancy and she was otherwise young and healthy.

I would wait too. High needs babies are all-consuming to live with if you end up with one. And things like trying to walk 2 dogs with a pram (I couldn't do it, but fortunately my bub loved to be worn in a carrier) and getting to training around nap times can be tough. It may well be fine of course! But it's impossible to say ahead of time.

I'd wait. But I'm cautious anyway. :laugh:

You don't know (not that anything is ever set in stone anyway) how the pregnancy will affect you, if you have a needy/sick baby to contend with etc etc. Or you might have an absolutely easy peasy pregnancy/birth/baby.

Will there be another littler further down the track?

I wouldn't & not a Bulldog puppy ,i think there wonderful dogs & love them dearly BUT from involvement with friends who breed & show them also appreciate how stubborn,trying & testing they can be & that a Bulldog with no manners is like a bull charging through especially when around 1

You have a dog at home that currently ticks all your boxes ,you have plenty of time in years to come to get a puppy & a puppy when bub 1 can enjoy being part of it .

I'm another one that would say wait. No one knows how they are going to cope with a new baby, especially a first. As others have said could be fine if bub and pup are cruisey but if they are both difficult that's a whole lot of stress you do not want.

We had a puppy and then had a baby a few months later.

I would say be prepared ie crate train your pup as soon as possible so you can safely put the puppy somewhere when you need to tend to your bubba. Also makes toilet training easier which is something you don't want to be worrying about while sleep deprived and doing hourly feeds lol!

Invest in toys and treats to occupy the puppy when you are busy. A meaty bone is a great boredom buster.

Don't spend every hour with the pup when you first get it only to dissapear once the baby arrives; get the puppy used to being on it's own (in its crate) for lengths of time.

I would say it can work if you want it to, at least if you are home full time you are not juggling getting kids to and from childcare and then trying to squeeze in puppy time as well. My son and puppy grew up together and she was a great dog. In a lot of ways it was easier for the puppy to adjust to the new baby in our household than our older jack russel.

Good luck

It's so hard to say without knowing how either pup or baby will be, and how you cope with stress.

I'm 10 days into motherhood and feel like a terrible dog mum because I've only walked the dogs once since coming home, and feel like I can't be the same dedicated owner I was before.

My girls are very tolerant of not getting a walk thank goodness, but if Nala was back in her puppy days I would be mental.

Guest crazydoglady99

I actually think you, baby and pup will be fine. Between August and Feb is 6months! That's plenty of time to establish routine for pup etc - plus you have an older dog to be with your pup.

As for the baby.. I have 2 kids - both are completely different personalities, both very different babies. You might have a nice easy going baby and wonder what you were worried about!!