Babies And Dogs!

Pheebs

Other choccie lab owner here...

I'd wait.

I brought a new Bub into my kelpie's life when she was 12 months old and I do feel the dog got the short end of the stick. I wish I'd waited until the Bub was at lest 5. As a result, I had a daughter who was terrified of my poor girl as she'd been knocked over a few times (my fault entirely) by an exuberant adolescent hound!

The last two dogs came into our lives when my youngest was older - 6. And my God did Miss12 bond with our Amstaff. They were inseparable. She was old enough to treat the dog with respect and love and not inadvertently hurt the dog with enthusiasm. Sadly, a brown snake ended that relationship but Ernie (the lab) and my youngest are the best of mates.

I also had a difficult time in my later stages of pregnancy. Bad sciatica and painful pelvis meant walking for any length of time was impossible. The kelpie suffered. My oldest was a colicky baby and did not sleep. I had to force myself to get out and walk my dog and I will be honest, I resented her.

Luckily, it all righted itself at about 8 months but I cringe at the way I felt. I spent the rest of that dog's 10 more years making it up to her but I still feel crappy.

So that's the worse case scenario. And you know better than I did back then, so you'll do better. I can only tell you how it played out for me and the regrets I have.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I fell pregnant not long after we brought our first weim puppy home. I do remember feeling like an octopus at times, but it all worked out OK. Would I do that again in hindsight? No way!

Both are a lot of work on their own. You would be aware of your own limits, but in the early days when you just really need every spare second of sleep that you can get, I'd personally be avoiding taking on any extra responsibility if you can.

If your husband is home a fair bit and you have other supportive people who came visit regularly, I'd get the puppy. If you're going to be mostly alone, I'd wait a few years.

Congratulations!

I'd go for it. :) But I'm the kinda of person that tends to do things and then just make it work. I got a kitten 2 months before my daughter was born - I'd waited 2 years for this particular kitten, no way was I going to miss out! We had four dogs when my son was born. :)

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice :)

With a heavy heart we decided to pass up the opportunity for the Bulldog pup this time :( The breeder was an absolute gem. We're naturally disappointed but as you all say it can be so very hard to predict so would rather be cautious :)

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice :)

With a heavy heart we decided to pass up the opportunity for the Bulldog pup this time :( The breeder was an absolute gem. We're naturally disappointed but as you all say it can be so very hard to predict so would rather be cautious :)

FWIW I believe you have made the correct decision! I presume the breeder will be having other litters in the future? If so, he / she will be even more assured of you being a keeper for a future puppy :thumbsup: