Overweight Showdogs

BarbedWire

Interesting article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-14/images-of-overweight-show-dogs-online-normalising-obesity/6618404

Posting photos of overweight show dogs online 'normalising' obesity, study finds

Posted 30 minutes ago

Basset Hounds at Crufts

PHOTO: Basset Hounds (pictured), Pugs and Labradors competing at Crufts were more likely to be overweight than other breeds, researchers say (AFP: Oli Scarff, file photo)

RELATED STORY: Death of Crufts prize-winning dog prompts poisoning claim

MAP: United Kingdom

A quarter of dogs competing in the world's biggest dog show are overweight, scientists say, warning the posting of show dog images online may be "normalising" obesity in dogs.

The analysis of canines at Britain's Crufts show, held annually since the reign of Queen Victoria, was posted in the journal Veterinary Record.

Researchers from the University of Liverpool studied 1,000 images of 28 dog breeds placed between first and fifth in their class during competitions from 2001 to 2013.

They found while 74 per cent were in ideal condition, 26 per cent were overweight.

Researcher Alex German said while lower than in the general pet population, the proportion of overweight animals at Crufts was a concern, because show dogs were assumed to be perfect specimens of their breed.

"These dogs showcase the ideal characteristics of the pedigree breed, and there is a danger that widespread media exposure might adversely influence owner perception of optimal body shape," it said.

Obesity causes significant health problems in dogs, including arthritis and diabetes.

The issue was most pronounced in certain breeds, with 80 per cent of Pugs, 68 per cent of Basset Hounds and 63 per cent of Labradors proving excessively fat.

Researchers say while these breeds are prone to weight gain, given that these breeds were bred as companion, hunting or fieldwork dogs, meaning their ideal body shape should not be overweight.

Standard poodles, border terriers, Rhodesian ridgebacks, Hungarian vizlas and Dobermans were the least likely breeds to be overweight.

The report said while shows such as Crufts had introduced criteria to encourage the awarding of prizes to healthy dogs, it appeared being overweight did not damage a dog's chances of winning.

It said the finding that none of the dogs at Crufts was underweight showed that breeders and owners were able to recognise that condition, better than those who were overweight.

"Further effort is now required to educate owners, breeders and show judges so that they can all better recognise overweight condition, thus helping to prevent the development of obesity," the report said.

ABC/Reuters

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, why am I not surprised at 63% of Labradors?

Honestly, if I had a dollar for every person that asked me if Ernie was a 'real' Labrador since he's thinner than the norm - he'd be paying for his own feed.

And I'd STILL like to take 2-3 kilos offf him.

What I really hate, is seeing elderly dogs that are grossly overweight and gimping around.

I prefer a fit and lean dog, but I have been told a few times that my dogs are underweight when really they are at a healthy weight, it's just the average pet owner is so used to seeing obese dogs that this becomes their 'normal'.

For some German Shepherd owners, having a 'big' dog is almost like a badge of honour. Sadly most of these big dogs aren't actually oversized, they are just overweight.

I remember someone here posting about a fat labrador at Crufts and they had shreds torn off them, people saying what would they know etc.

My brother abused me terribly on the weekend when he saw my IG telling me I was starving her. His own dogs are grossly overweight.

Edited by Kirislin

I remember someone here posting about a fat labrador at Crufts and they had shreds torn off them, people saying what would they know etc.

My brother abused me terribly on the weekend when he saw my IG telling me I was starving her. His own dogs are grossly overweight.

Hmmm. I remember that thread too.

I get even more pi$$ed off seeing overweight dogs competing in agility, retrieving etc. There's no excuse.

And it must be quite hard work to get a dog who's so active to that point. They would be working off much more than the average house pet so they must be feeding a heck of a lot.

I get even more pi$$ed off seeing overweight dogs competing in agility, retrieving etc. There's no excuse.

And it must be quite hard work to get a dog who's so active to that point. They would be working off much more than the average house pet so they must be feeding a heck of a lot.

Yes and no Steph - unlike a dog in the field they might only do a couple of competition runs on a weekend once or twice a month. My first priority is strength and fitness with my dogs and I squeeze training in around that....long walks in the dark and the pouring rain aren't fun for me but sometimes it has to be done!

Yes and no Steph - unlike a dog in the field they might only do a couple of competition runs on a weekend once or twice a month. My first priority is strength and fitness with my dogs and I squeeze training in around that....long walks in the dark and the pouring rain aren't fun for me but sometimes it has to be done!

Good point! I guess I'm assuming there's a pretty high degree of fitness needed but you're totally right.

But important to note that the rate of fatties is lower than in the general dog population.

I've noticed there is a trend to give the weight of sire and dam for some "protection" breed litters though which is worrying to me, dobes should be athletic, not meat heads, and the same goes for most gun dog breeds.

I've noticed there is a trend to give the weight of sire and dam for some "protection" breed litters though which is worrying to me, dobes should be athletic, not meat heads, and the same goes for most gun dog breeds.

I hear you! This is rife in rottweilers as well, brags about how heavy the sire and dam are, although moreso in BYB litters than registered.

I actually had our vet comment on how nice it was to see a rottweiler at correct weight when I took Nova in a couple of weeks ago. They're a working dog, they can't work if they're fat and sloppy!

post-3516-0-25346300-1436912348_thumb.jpg

Allerzeit, you have the most beautiful dogs!

I'm sure that keeping your dogs lean plays a part in their longevity and quality of life as they age imo. Some dogs are easier to keep lean than others though - my mixed breed boy is a definite "good do-er". I am going to have to put him on a weight management plan before too long.

I remember the thread, too. And the ridiculous excuses made for obviously obese dogs.

I'm actually surprised it's only 1/4 that were assessed as overweight. I find it embarrassing to see the condition some dogs/breeds are shown in.

I hear you! This is rife in rottweilers as well, brags about how heavy the sire and dam are, although moreso in BYB litters than registered.

I actually had our vet comment on how nice it was to see a rottweiler at correct weight when I took Nova in a couple of weeks ago. They're a working dog, they can't work if they're fat and sloppy!

Beautiful!

You have lovely Rottweilers and the ones I have seen at our local shows always look very fit, so it probably is more of a byb thing. I just smile and nod when other dobe owners say how much bigger their dogs are than mine :laugh: