Overweight Showdogs

BarbedWire

What Joe Public hears from the media is that skinny models are bad. Plus they read dog food packets which provide how much should be fed. DOLers banging on about being able to feel ribs aren't even on the radar. Most people wouldn't even know what that means.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had no way to access my own food and had to rely on someone handing me my daily allowance, I definitely wouldn't have a weight problem.

Thanks Lisa and TSD for your diagrams and pictures. I think Luna might be a touch underweight, her ribs don't feel like my knuckles but they don't feel quite like my fingers either. Did the rib test on myself, definitely overweight :laugh:

Is a fat dog in the ring more or less acceptable than major conformation faults ?

Should a leaner dog without type, temperament, correct structure and soundness be awarded over an otherwise good example but fat example of the breed?

You be the judge

For me that would depend on the degree over overweight. If I were a judge looking at several mediocre dogs of correct body condition, and one chumpy but otherwise excellent example, i'd award the heavier dog. If the best dog was clearly very overweight, i would weigh it up *scuse the pun* and may award the heavier dog but speak to the handler and critique it, or may choose to award the next best, and still possibly talk to second place with the heavy dog "I'd have like to have placed your first as your dog is *list good points* but is not in appropriate body condition, go home and work on that and you'll have yourself a winner"

If the dog was obese it would be placed last in my ring.

Is a fat dog in the ring more or less acceptable than major conformation faults ?

Should a leaner dog without type, temperament, correct structure and soundness be awarded over an otherwise good example but fat example of the breed?

You be the judge

That's a really good question. I would pick the fat dog. Fat can be corrected with diet and exercise, but there is no correcting incorrect structure, soundness, type and temperament.

So a question for (I guess) Labrador retriever people, since Labradors seem to be the dogs that are typically seen to be overweight in the ring.

Apart from Ernie's obvious confirmation faults, is he overweight?

10505C05-19F2-470C-A559-44E8A368C54D.jpg

I'm trying to take another 3 kilos off him.

You be the judge

That's a really good question. I would pick the fat dog. Fat can be corrected with diet and exercise, but there is no correcting incorrect structure, soundness, type and temperament.

Major health faults should not be rewarded. If all the other dogs are of poor or mediocre conformation then the judge can non award and have a quiet word to the exhibitor of the overweight dog about reducing their weight.

The fat dog can be awarded at the next show when they have lost the weight and are shown in a healthy body condition.

You be the judge

What about if the dog had patches of hair missing after a skin disease but had otherwise excellent 'type, temperament, correct structure and soundness'?

You be the judge

I think the problem is less about the IMO unlikley scenario of an obese dog being the only good example of the breed in the ring, and more about the fact that owners of fat dogs are consistently rewarded, and the condition of the dogs is defended in some circles.

I can't imagine any class at Crufts where the other dogs in the ring are such poor specimens that they don't compare against a dog that's in poor condition (although I admit I'm not really a Crufts watcher, so perhaps their standard is lower than I thought)

Guest donatella

According to the feel test both of mine are overweight. I blame myself and giving them treats and things I'm eating. Oop, diet starts Monday girls

You be the judge

I don't believe they should but it happens all the time from what I see. Extra weight can affect a dogs movement making them roll from side to side, of course depending on how much extra weight they are carrying.

If the dog has faults or is obese it shouldn't be shown at all :confused:

No dog is fault free, and not everyone always has their dog in perfect condition. Shows are about more than competition.

Not a lab person Stress Magnet

But Ernie looks good but about how my dog looked before I took 2 or 3 kilos off her (recommended by trainers and the vet), I can now feel her ribs easily and she's lots easier to train for some reason. But you still can't see them easily unless she's facing the setting sun (which makes shadows). Her coat is very spotty so hard to show up any shading in a photo but she's got a lot more tuck under at the back... and she's overall skinner and less chunky.

Ernie looks good Stressy... definitely not a huge porker like some Labs get.

My girl is much leaner than Ernie, but she's also 9 years old, so I keep her at just under the 3 score. Upside is that she still plays zoomies like a 2 year old... lol!

I have the opposite problem with Pickles (the Spastic Camp Dog)... she eats more than Trouble the Lab, even though she's half the size, but it's almost impossible to keep the weight on her - add to that the fact that her muscle tone is all wrong due to her mobility issues, and she's one funny looking skinny binny.

T.

You be the judge

if there isn't a good representative of the breed on the day (conformation, fitness, temp etc) then no dog in that breed should win. My guess is that would get rid of obese dogs in the show ring pretty quickly.