Overweight Showdogs

BarbedWire

While I've seen fat dogs in the show ring, I've yet to see an obese one. It is more prevalent in some breeds than others and definitely frowned on within sight hounds. I've heard the GP say they are too skinny! There's no winning in the court of public opinion.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if there isn't a good representative of the breed on the day (conformation, fitness, temp etc) then no dog in that breed should win. My guess is that would get rid of obese dogs in the show ring pretty quickly.

You don't see obese dogs in the show ring. And, judges typically don't award overweight dogs.

A couple of years ago a specialty judge came out to judge our club show and she pulled a number of exhibitors up on the condition of their dogs, pointing out that this is a working breed and should be in top condition at all times. She dumped the fat dogs.

I would say a good number of my breed are fat, people often think it's substance or a way to fill the dog out so it looks like it has more coat. They win on occasion but wouldn't be in our top winning circle.

I remember someone here posting about a fat labrador at Crufts and they had shreds torn off them, people saying what would they know etc.

My brother abused me terribly on the weekend when he saw my IG telling me I was starving her. His own dogs are grossly overweight.

Exaggeration. I was one of the people who protested. Without feeling that particular dog, I would not be able to say if it was overweight. It's true that many flabby Labs show up in the show ring, but it's also true the combination of well sprung ribs, not much tuck up, and a thick coat may make a Lab look fat when it's not. It would be interesting to know if the study results would have changed had the authors actually set hands on the dogs or done some sort of analysis that actually quantifies the amount of fat present.

My old girl LOOKS fat. She has saggy boobs and a thick coat, and a lot of bone. But if you feel her ribcage you get the sense that you're running your fingers over a washboard.

if there isn't a good representative of the breed on the day (conformation, fitness, temp etc) then no dog in that breed should win. My guess is that would get rid of obese dogs in the show ring pretty quickly.

You don't see obese dogs in the show ring. And, judges typically don't award overweight dogs.

I disagree. I have ashamedly shown a dog that I considered verging on obese. She did not live with me and unfortunately her owner kept her far too fat at times. Despite rolling around the ring she was not only awaded BOB, she was short listed for group and won her class in group :( I see fat dog after fat dog gaining callenges and beyond.

I have had a challenge refused on a young bitch for being too skinny. She was an 8 month old gundog breed that are commonly lean while growing and although I didn't want any less weight on her, but she was fit and healthy a growing dog should be kept lean. It was a real slap in the face as I'd just seen young exhibits in the breed before me go in considerably overweight, rolling around the ring and not a second thought in awarding the dogs. Those poor dogs joints would have been groaning.

This topic comes up regularly. Not all show dogs are fat, some are even underweight! But I do believe overweight show dogs are far too common and rewarded far too often. When I want to show my performance dogs I have to spend a couple of weeks feeding them up if I want to be competitive, and I know I'm not alone there.

I think the actual topic isn't whether show dogs are overweight or not (inevitably some will be) but rather the shoddy research of determining that they are just from a bunch of photos.

with many breeds you can take get a good assessment from a clear side on shot in my view. No it's not as good as feeling for yourself, and I agree that for longer coat dogs like labs it's less useful.

I have seen a grossly overweight Pug shown and awarded, it was obviously obese. Thankfully there are some showing over here that are in the dog sport rings and kept nice and fit as well as showing. Haven't seen many Bassets