How Often Do You Feed Your Dog(S)?

Guest crazydoglady99

we feed twice a day, but the evening meal is a lot smaller - a token meal so he's happy and wanders off to bed afterwards and settles beautifully for the evening.

Morning he'll get a kong and bone and/or carrot when I leave for work, so he can't wait for me to walk out the door usually, and moans if I'm taking too long to get ready :)

I'm slowly cutting back his food, but if I cut too much too fast he makes up for it in eating more poo from a variety of sources, so it's very hard to get him to drop any weight! we need a yard with no possums!

Stressy, the best slow feeder we've found is the green feeder - it's amazing! It definitely slows them down, and there's no real way to cheat or get better at it. Was one of the best dog purchases I've made.

http://www.luckypet.com.au/green-interactive.html

there's heaps of videos floating around of it being used.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey feet!! Gruf would love that. He gets chicken feet sometimes but OMG Turkey feet !!

We don't have super accurate mealtimes either. He gets what he gets when I want to give it. He never pesters me for food.

Once a day. Dry food and meat or a big bone.

She is used to getting fed at any time, so no issues till 6pm then she let's me know I forgot her!

Most days she gets done as soon as I wake up

She's still underweight so two large dry meals a day (evening meal also has raw) and substantial training treats in between.

When she's porked up a bit it will still be two meals w day but the evening one will be entirely raw, no dry. Usually roo beef and emu

Edited by Thistle the dog

Twice a day .. same size meals. Same as others, combination of comfort, and hopefully protection from bloat. While BCs are not in the highest risk category, I do know several who have died from it. Both dogs in hard lean condition.

BBB,

Aren't they food crazy by Monday morning?

I'm wondering if this is how to keep those extra 3 kgs off my boy. He gets a 1-2 ramble every day but he's a lazy thing and his dinner gets eaten in a nanosecond even with a go slo bowl and/or kongs.

No not really. They are used to the routine. Dogs do not experience the same hunger response as humans, and in fact their bodies are well equipped to miss days, or even a week of food.

The reason I do it is that I have a theory that it reduces cholesterol, gives the healthy gut bacteria a chance, allows stomach acid levels and enzymes to stabilise. In addition I believe it helps control food responsiveness, and has a positive impact on muscle tone and condition.

I have a mate who is involved with Malamute breeding and feeds his studs once every 48-72 hours. His dogs are in startlingly good condition and it got me thinking and researching.

If you are trying to drop 3 kgs then there is 2 keys considerations on how much you are feeding by weight, but more importantly the digestibility of what you are feeding.

If you are feeding a highly digestible diet like raw, barf, tucker time then you actually need to temper your portion sizes a fair bit. My dogs are highly active and are fed a fair bit less than what commercial food companies recommend.

Ernie gets Canidae Grain Free (the salmon and fish one whatever that is), chicken frames, lamb flaps and chicken necks with some organic plain cultured yoghurt.

He gets a frame, or other meaty bones for his brekkie before his ramble. Chicken necks I add to his dinner.

I reduce his kibble to what a dog who's 5kgs lighter should eat, and vary his meat portion as well depending on what he's had during the day.

My onc told me I'm not to handle raw so I'm giving him the best I can. He looks great, his coat is shiny and the vet said his ears and teeth are in wonderful shape.

So I'm thinking a fasting day is an option.

Mine are twice a day, due to the fact that they are always starving. Dry food, plus some yoghurt/egg/vegies/tuna for the old boy, and the same plus RMB's for the other. I feed the last meal around 4pm, purely for poop convenience. :laugh:

We can be a little all over the shop, it depends what they are having. If we get a large hunk of meat/organ/bone or whatever that cannot be split in two it will be one meal a day (dinner time), if we have smaller delicacies it's two meals.

On the upside we never have any dramas at meal times. The times also rotate madly as well.

Some would call it disorganised, I like to pretend it is a careful scheme to make sure no one ever 'expects' a meal at a set time. ;)

We don't have set times either on purpose so we never have dogs torturing us :laugh:

We can be a little all over the shop, it depends what they are having. If we get a large hunk of meat/organ/bone or whatever that cannot be split in two it will be one meal a day (dinner time), if we have smaller delicacies it's two meals.

On the upside we never have any dramas at meal times. The times also rotate madly as well.

Some would call it disorganised, I like to pretend it is a careful scheme to make sure no one ever 'expects' a meal at a set time. ;)

We don't have set times either on purpose so we never have dogs torturing us :laugh:

In our house that is an added bonus of alternating shifts and complete chaos some nights.

The downside is last week Gus and Rosie missed dinner and didn't even ask me for it. I woke up at 2am wracked with guilt! Haha.

My almost 2yr old Cocker get 1 night feed plus a few chicken necks through the day as treats. Her dinner is kibble and read meat or chicken necks

My 14wk old ESS is on a a small amount of puppy kibble, read meat and chicken necks. She gets morning kibble and meat, morning tea chicken necks, night kibble and meat, and chicken necks for supper in her crate. She also chicken necks for lunch if my mums home but thats very rare. She's a really picky eater so we can only give her tiny amounts at a time.

I wish our meal times were more flexible but since Tempeh believes she will die if not fed according to her inner body clock we try and stick to her hours for peace and sanity throughout the entire house. She starts telling us her meal time is coming up about 45 minutes from the deadline and the closer the time gets the more irritating she gets. We've tried lots of things to address this but it was easier to give in as we weren't winning. She is very lean and active so I think she really is hungry!

Guest crazydoglady99

Hehehehe.. some very funny comnents y'all!!

It's very interesting to see the variations food types, frequency etc.

I wish our meal times were more flexible but since Tempeh believes she will die if not fed according to her inner body clock we try and stick to her hours for peace and sanity throughout the entire house. She starts telling us her meal time is coming up about 45 minutes from the deadline and the closer the time gets the more irritating she gets. We've tried lots of things to address this but it was easier to give in as we weren't winning. She is very lean and active so I think she really is hungry!

Ernie goes and gets his bowl and drops it on my feet. Coz ya know, Labradors are hungry, yo.

Adults over 12 months twice a day, pups under 12 months three times a day. Adults get a few bikkies at lunch when the pups eat.

We have very small dogs so feeding once daily is risky for their blood sugar levels especially the chi.

When we had large dogs they were also fed twice daily to limit the risk of bloat.

All our dogs are perfect weight.

Mine get fed twice a day - 2 that are giant sighthounds so prone to bloat and the other a Lappie who carries on like a starved unloved homeless hound if she doesn't get fed !!!!!

And as for the cats -try not feeding a Siamese for a earful of abuse :laugh: