How Often Do You Feed Your Dog(S)?

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

100% curiosity..

How often do you feed your dog(s)?

Once, twice or more per day?

Are the meals different sizes (ie larger one AM or PM)?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a day generally for the adults although they do get training treats at some point. Baby pup gets 3 meals a day but that can be a bit random as sometimes she gets a meal spread out on training. If I feed a morning meal to the adults it's usually so I can add supplements or to give them a snack before trialling so it's usually pretty small. There was a very small study that suggested once daily feeding at night may be better for Dalmatians in terms of reducing the risk of uric acid stones which was my initial motivation. Em really liked what having a litter and lactating did to her food intake :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Ernie gets a big meaty bone for his brekkie and then training treats and then his main meal is at night.

Buts he's a Labrador and he'd eat all day if I let him, so it's a battle to stop Miss12 sneaking him stuff. Unfortunately he gives it away because his emotions are all over his face.

I used to split his daily intake into breakfast and dinner but I lost track of how much extra he got thru training and I'm terrified of him getting porky. It's just easier for me (hey, I'm being honest) if I can adjust his nightly meal to account for all the treats and surreptitious bits of potato and cheese that he scabs from his greatest admirer during the day.

BBB,

Aren't they food crazy by Monday morning?

I'm wondering if this is how to keep those extra 3 kgs off my boy. He gets a 1-2 ramble every day but he's a lazy thing and his dinner gets eaten in a nanosecond even with a go slo bowl and/or kongs.

Twice a day here. Kibble plus dried chicken breast crumbled over the top or greek yoghurt for breakfast and kibble plus sardines or chicken necks or chicken and rice goop for dinner. Breakfast is a smaller meal. Plus we have to do late night treats here as Tempeh can get vomitty in the early hours of the morning if she gets overly hungry. Temp gets a proper treat and the other two just get teensy token ones. They also get other stuff here and there like dental sticks and bones.

Bull Breed what purpose does a day of fasting serve for dogs? How do they understand a 7 day routine as being different to a daily one?

Edited by Little Gifts

Didi gets a bone or chicken carcass for meal #1 which can be anywhwere from 7am to lunch time depending on when I wake up. If we've run out of bones or it's raining too much (she can only eat bones outside and we have no undercover area for the whimp to eat under) she just waits till her dinner meal which I'll make a bit bigger.

I also prefer feeding at night so that if she hasn't had a walk or had more treats than usual I can adjust accordingly. For such a big and active dog she eats very little food so even a bit of overfeeding has an impact.

Guest Clover

Once a day plus a treat either in the morning or evening.

If you do a search you will find this topic has been done many times.

My adults get their main meal first thing in the morning, a medium biscuit if I put them in their pens to go out for any reason and a big hard biscuit at bedtime.

When I only had a couple of dogs I used to feed the Juliette de Bairacli Levy model ( like BBB) and the dogs did very well on it.

Twice a day, kibble with yoghurt in morning and kibble with either veggies or sardines at night. Plus shark cartilage and liver or dried chicken breast treats. Jonah I have to adjust seasonally he needs nearly double in winter to maintain his weight. I don't give bones or long lasting treats as Jesse is a greedy pig and will try and pinch Jonah's and then there is a fight.

BBB,

Aren't they food crazy by Monday morning?

I'm wondering if this is how to keep those extra 3 kgs off my boy. He gets a 1-2 ramble every day but he's a lazy thing and his dinner gets eaten in a nanosecond even with a go slo bowl and/or kongs.

No not really. They are used to the routine. Dogs do not experience the same hunger response as humans, and in fact their bodies are well equipped to miss days, or even a week of food.

The reason I do it is that I have a theory that it reduces cholesterol, gives the healthy gut bacteria a chance, allows stomach acid levels and enzymes to stabilise. In addition I believe it helps control food responsiveness, and has a positive impact on muscle tone and condition.

I have a mate who is involved with Malamute breeding and feeds his studs once every 48-72 hours. His dogs are in startlingly good condition and it got me thinking and researching.

If you are trying to drop 3 kgs then there is 2 keys considerations on how much you are feeding by weight, but more importantly the digestibility of what you are feeding.

If you are feeding a highly digestible diet like raw, barf, tucker time then you actually need to temper your portion sizes a fair bit. My dogs are highly active and are fed a fair bit less than what commercial food companies recommend.

Edited by BullBreedBoy

Guest donatella

2 meals here too. Life is about enjoying at our place and that includes dinner time. Both of mine good condition absolutely beautiful coats.

Edited by donatella

Two meals a day here for everyone. My childhood dog died from bloat, and owning a breed that is prone to bloat, we thought it was better to breakdown their daily 'rations' into two separate meals. On top of their regular meals, they will also bones and treats.

Gruf gets a raw mince formula plus other raw bits and bobs of yoghurt, cottage cheese, whole fresh sardines, egg, offal, for breakfast and his main meal of bones at night, usually a turkey neck, but sometimes duck or chicken carcass, roo lumbar or lamb neck.

He doesn't get treats during the day at all but sometimes gets a chunk of dried lung at bedtime.

No kibble at all

A big bone if I'm going out all day.

We can be a little all over the shop, it depends what they are having. If we get a large hunk of meat/organ/bone or whatever that cannot be split in two it will be one meal a day (dinner time), if we have smaller delicacies it's two meals.

On the upside we never have any dramas at meal times. The times also rotate madly as well.

Some would call it disorganised, I like to pretend it is a careful scheme to make sure no one ever 'expects' a meal at a set time. ;)

Edited by Steph M