Colonitis In 8Yo German Shepherd

Hello

Our poor Zoe stayed with a minder while we were away and she came home vomiting and with runny stools for days...

Vet has diagnosed her with an inflamed colon.. Put her on a special eukanuba dry food and tablets and her stools became soft, better than runny anyway..

She gets this on and off non stop.... We have put her on boiled chicken breasts and the bland vet only eukanuba dry food permanently but she is still needing to go outside at 2am then 4am with the runs and then manages to step in it and I have poo all through the house...

Oh the joys of dog ownership, runny poo all through the house, rugs and floorboards every day...

We have taught her to do poos down the side of the house so that is why she is standing in it...

Anyone else's dog have this and what sets it off? We still can't give her any other meat or food yet... And she's lost lots of weight..

perhaps a second opinion is needed?

Did the vet test a faecal sample /do blood tests?

She may have a parasite ..

or be intolerant to a certain food ..

or ...

It cannot be pleasant for anyone :(

i would also be asking questions of the "minder" as to what different things your dog ate /played in/drank /was given ..or did she come in contact with any ill dogs .....

Hope she feels better soon .

perhaps a second opinion is needed?

Did the vet test a faecal sample /do blood tests?

She may have a parasite ..

or be intolerant to a certain food ..

or ...

It cannot be pleasant for anyone :(

i would also be asking questions of the "minder" as to what different things your dog ate /played in/drank /was given ..or did she come in contact with any ill dogs .....

Hope she feels better soon .

No no stool samples have been taken... I just cleaned up all the sloppy stools too :(

They took a swab from her rectum I'm assuming they check for parasites then under the microscope? No bloods taken.. When we did the bland food diet she seemed to get better though.. It's just much more frequent now..

Didn't think about a parasite.. She's wormed often but always hungry and so desperate for food as she's not absorbing anything se will eat the smallest crumb or scrap esp trying to steal the kids food now too then it just makes her sick again...

I'm worried as we have her booked into the same minder again in a couple of months... She has her own dog too, took her out but didn't socialize he with any other dogs as she isn't great with strange dogs so we asked to to just avoid them..

Is this the same as Colitis? Lili had a bout of Colitis and was given antibiotics given in an injection and then pills to continue with, it cleared up really quickly and no reoccurrences so far, touch wood.

I'd get her checked out more thoroughly (bloods/fecal sample) if it's continuing.

if this has been going on for some time , you do need blood tests and faecal sample tests to check organs like pancreas/liver - to see if there is infection /inflammation - to check for things like tiny giardia (which are not killed by normal worming)

Have a lookup about EPI too.

Thanks.. We have a friends dog with this.. I'm pretty sure it's not that but I'm happy to have her tested to rule it out anyway...

We will start pushing for more answers from the vet... Thanks everyone.. Is been going on since January on and off..

Hello

Our poor Zoe stayed with a minder while we were away and she came home vomiting and with runny stools for days...

Vet has diagnosed her with an inflamed colon.. Put her on a special eukanuba dry food and tablets and her stools became soft, better than runny anyway..

She gets this on and off non stop.... We have put her on boiled chicken breasts and the bland vet only eukanuba dry food permanently but she is still needing to go outside at 2am then 4am with the runs and then manages to step in it and I have poo all through the house...

Oh the joys of dog ownership, runny poo all through the house, rugs and floorboards every day...

We have taught her to do poos down the side of the house so that is why she is standing in it...

Anyone else's dog have this and what sets it off? We still can't give her any other meat or food yet... And she's lost lots of weight..

I would be looking at stress as the trigger, you say she had been with a minder............I have a dog who I can't board as he gets the runs, also prone to it if any upheaval in his life, just a worry wart...............you may see a connection if you look back at whatever was going on when she had other attacks

I would definitely be wanting more answers from the vet, more testing if needed. I have found adding protexin can help those with sensitive stomachs so might be an option for you to try. I wouldn't rule out EPI either ravenous appetite is one of the symptoms, my girl didn't present classically, her poops weren't runny so they don't all present the same. I hope you get the answers soon