I Have A Habrador

inajam

hello if anybody can help regarding the drug called MACROLONE this is a very bad drug to give your dog due to the side affects ,and now I have a problem with my LAB I have now been advised that he is now a diabetic because of this drug that is one sin of the side affect increased drinking and increased urinating the problem is the more he drinks the more he urinates , this is inversely proportional to the insulin that his body is producing and there for .

Some other side affects will be GASTRIC disturbances ,Vomiting ,Pancreatitis ,Diabetes , elevated liver enzymes ,risk in stomach ULCERS these are serious medical conditions I have seen that lots of people have had similar problems so I just want to know if there is anything that can be done because at the moment I have to inject INSULIN into him every 12 hours all this information I have got of the net but if any body has any other useful information that can help my dog I would appreciate it cheers.

Macrolone is actually a very safe and useful drug. It will not have CAUSED diabetes, but it may have caused the signs to come on more rapidly. Your dog was always going to get diabetes. Once the diabetes is under control, the excessive drinking and peeing will stop.

It is not a bad drug. It is a very effective and necessary medication for the treatment of many issues including immune issues and skin conditions. But of course, like any medication it has side effects and use of it has to be managed carefully, including tapering off of the dose and not stopping it suddenly.

inajam

Could your Labrador be a bit on the large cuddly side? Because that can put pressure (pain) on the joints and spine - and then a vet might prescribe a steroid to alleviate the pain.

But the diabetes might come from being overweight. Did your vet say anything about this or is your dog skinny?

You might be able to manage the problem by changing your dog's diet, and helping it lose weight?

My dog drinks a lot more when she has dry food for dinner - so maybe if you changed to something like raw meat and vegies, that would be less of a problem?

Why has your dog been put on cortisone? There is indeed a form of diabetes which is induced by steroid use. Canine diabetes is induced by steroid use in 20% of the dogs who are on this medication. This often resolves and disappears when the steroids are tapered and ceased.

Please talk to your vet about steroid sparing medications which may allow your dog to come off this drug. As you are seeing with your dog, the side effects are noticeable and can be more and more damaging the longer the dog is on the drug. You need to be very careful when using it, don't leave your dog on it for long periods unless absolutely necessary - it should be used short term only to manage acute conditions, (unless of course it is for palliation purposes) and the dog's response to it and any complications should be monitored closely by your vet.

Edited by Florise

How long and what for? Are you still using it now?

Corticosteroids are useful, not 'bad' just not a cure-all. The endocrine system is finely balanced, usage is a risk vs benefit decision.

For example; while you get a good result w/ rapid relief of skin inflammation - you can't just use it every time a dog gets itchy. Diabetes can happen rarely and most often is the result of prolonged use so vets are mindful of that when prescribing.

Echoing other posts, corticosteroids are very useful medications however have bad reputation and a tendency to be used inappropriately. Although they are not without side effects, when used judiciously the risk of more serious side effects from short term use is quite small. Developing diabetes secondary to such use would generally suggest that there was an underlying problem or that the patient was, for some reason, already predisposed to developing diabetes. In most circumstances diabetes is life long once it develops but there are a few select circumstances in which it may be transient.