Pet Friendly Accommodation With Chickens

raineth

I have recently been looking into some pet friendly accommodation and am quite surprised by the number of places that advertise as pet friendly and also have a chicken coup in the backyard and often also have a rule that if you go out without your dog, you must leave it in the backyard.

I know my dog could be trusted with chickens.... Trusted to eat them!

Anyway, I would have thought that most dogs would be the same?

So, now I want to know, could your dog holiday at a place with chickens, and all the chickens still be alive at the end of it?

Yep we have 5 dogs and 8 free range bantam chooks, when we had our rooster and had hatching chicks they would also free range from a week old, never has any of my dogs touched them, actually they barely take notice of them.

We also have 3 cats and they will hunt pigeons but ignore the chooks/chicks also.

My dog would have to be restrained from chasing them (& possibly killing them, she's a retriever but I don't think I'd like to test her) & I'd have a horrible holiday because she'd be so fixated on getting to them it would drive us all crazy.

So nope, no chickens for us.

I've had chooks for a few years now in a small suburban backyard, and they would free range with both the dogs (when Tess was still around) and a cat !!!

I knew that Fleming might be a problem when I first got them, so I spent some time with him in the backyard on lead until he worked out they weren't to be touched. I never left them unsupervised until I was sure there wouldn't be a problem (although it's always a risk). Fleming is so laid back that he would lie out in the sun and the chooks would peck fluff & dust out of his fur !

The cat is 99% of the time an inside cat and only has short, supervised visits outdoors, and as a result she's not nervous, but cautious I would say when she's in the yard. The chooks were bigger than her too so she'd race out and play underneath the bushes, then wait till the chooks had moved out of the way before racing back inside again.

I would hope that those pet-stay places have the coop fenced off though for the chookies safety. At least in my home environment I had the time to train my dogs around the chooks. A short stay accommodation I don't think they would have survived !

I worry Gus would sneak one into the car with him...

Would be a big risk for the chicken owner, having unknown dogs about with your chookies! Even dogs who are awesome with your home chooks might be different with new ones.

Are you sure the chickens are free ranging and not confined to a coop or small yard? I have a thing called a "chicken tractor" that you can move about the garden so that the chickens get fresh grass, but is fox/dog proofed for security. I don't have it in the same yard as the dogs, but could quite safely do so if I wanted.

Are you sure the chickens are free ranging and not confined to a coop or small yard? I have a thing called a "chicken tractor" that you can move about the garden so that the chickens get fresh grass, but is fox/dog proofed for security. I don't have it in the same yard as the dogs, but could quite safely do so if I wanted.

Even then, still a risk! Determined dogs are determined!

"Determined dogs are determined!"

Don't I know it~!

One of my boys chewed though the weldmesh and ripped a big hole in it. He was only 7 months old and the bitch was 2 pens away!

"Determined dogs are determined!"

Don't I know it~!

One of my boys chewed though the weldmesh and ripped a big hole in it. He was only 7 months old and the bitch was 2 pens away!

HAHAHA. That is pure evil! I hope he still has teeth!

We had a tiny staffy in our yard on the weekend who climbed over no less than 6 tall backyard fences to get in and play with our dogs. I was none too impressed when we found her people who said they had just taken her in from a home with too many dogs, and suspected she might be lonely. Poor thing, but my yard is not for extras! Haha.

Well one of them mentioned letting the chickens out in the morning.

But I doubt a coop would stop my dog while I wasn't there with her. She'd be like "this is the best Kong I've ever had!"

Not on your life :bolt:

We're travelling up to NSW in late August to see K9Pro, and were recommended a place to stay (thanks Huski), but they farm alpacas. I backed out of that idea pretty quickly :laugh: talk about a recipe for disaster. So we're staying somewhere nice and secluded where she cant lose her mind at anything that moves and we can be relatively stress free during our holiday. Post K9Pro I hope to be able to say she could be trusted because we've put in the hard yards.

Guest crazydoglady99

Lol. Funny thread.

I have 5 free range bantam chooks.

My dog ignores & avoids them. My maltese though - when she was about 10 years old - killed 6 of my chooks!!!

When my chooks were in a big run - nearly every visiting/foster dog found them all too interesting/irresistible though.