Training Puppy For Both Indoors And Outdoors?

joey13

G'day guys,

First time poster on the forum.

My family and I are anticipating our first family dog in 2 1/2 weeks time. A Red/White Smut female Miniature English Bull Terrier named Buffy! She will be 8 weeks old when she comes home.

Have been doing a fair amount of research including browsing these forums. This forum is full of useful info!

I work full time and am a shift worker. My partner works 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Thur). At most puppy is going to be on her own for up to 8 hours, 3 times a week. This however is unlikely as there is usually some overlap with my shift work (eg I might be home during the day and leave at 2pm and my partner comes home about 6pm).

We have decided that we would like her to be an inside dog (with restricted access to certain areas) when we are home but would like for her to be able to comfortably and happily be outside when we are not home. This will not only ease the pressure off us having to be back home with 2-3 hours of leaving (which is unrealistic) and still raise a happy and healthy puppy.

Looking for some training advice as to the best way to approach this.

I was planning to use a crate to train her for indoors teaching her to go to the same spot in the backyard every time. I was considering buying an identical crate to sit outside on the deck which is well covered and putting her into the crate outside (door open) when we leave. If I am able to establish a positive experience when she is in the crate, she will not be that fussed when going into an identical one which is outside and in turn she will still be able to use the same toilet spot we have taught her to use.

Initially I was planning on training her strictly indoors and gradually adding the outdoor Kennel / crate but I think it makes more sense to train her from a young age for how she will live in adult life. If she is used to both right from the start then there won't be an issue.

I also realise that it is unrealistic nor can I guarantee that one of us will not be away from home for more than 3 hours at a time and this puts undue pressure and stress on us and the puppy and is not setting her up for success.

Given her young age and the very cold weather in Melbourne at the moment, we are planning on initially having the indoor crate in our bedroom for the initial couple of weeks over night time and gradually ease her into sleeping outside over night.

Once she is old enough and well established, we will replace the outdoor crate for a proper kennel.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone else been successful in training a new puppy both indoor and outdoors and what worked and what didn't?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks in advance.

Joey.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

OMG you are buying a little piggy :thumbsup:

Firstly, start as you mean to go on, it won't be impressed if you let it sleep inside then suddenly expect it to sleep outside.

Perhaps buy a kennel now aswell, get it up off the ground,and put lots of bedding inside( mine have feather doonas, and heat pads).If its outside during the day its still pretty chilly atm. it has the choice then.

Try not to stress about the whole thing and let the pup fit in around you, bear in mind bullies only do things if there is something in it for them! :laugh:

Edited by juice

I have nothing to say other than than........

O M Goodness!!!!!! How cute!!!!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Such a cutie, thank you for posting puppy pics, I swear it's the first unofficial rule of DOL

I think your plan sounds pretty good so far. I'd suggest giving a kong or a bone to your pup in their outside crate when you go out so they're distracted and associate it with good things. Also don't make a fuss when you leave - keep it very low key.

We have our boy sleep inside all the time, and I prefer it because he'd otherwise spend the night barking at possums and stray cats, but I guess it will depend on your dog and what kind of distractions there are in your yard.

Given her young age and the very cold weather in Melbourne at the moment, we are planning on initially having the indoor crate in our bedroom for the initial couple of weeks over night time and gradually ease her into sleeping outside over night.

Once she is old enough and well established, we will replace the outdoor crate for a proper kennel.

I wouldn't be doing that. the puppy will get used to sleeping with people in a warm room, right next to them and then one day will get kicked out to be sleeping alone outside.

Not fair.

If you want her to be sleeping outside do that from day one. But i see no reason why she would have to sleep outside ;-)

Anything you want the dog to do or not to do in the future do from day one. None of that chopping and changing. Confusing the dog, especially if you give something good and then take it away.

As to crate/kennel

I always buy everything as its for an adult dog. The only thing that changes is collars and coats, maybe size of toys.

I have nothing to say other than than........

O M Goodness!!!!!! How cute!!!!!!

Haha. My thoughts exactly. We are all very excited to pick her up. My partner is also excited which is a first because she has always been a little scared to have a dog having never have grown up with one...unlike me. My 5yo hasn't stopped talking about her!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Such a cutie, thank you for posting puppy pics, I swear it's the first unofficial rule of DOL

As I said, I've been browsing through the forums a bit lately and noticed that seem to be the number one rule so thought I would get off to a good start!

OMG you are buying a little piggy :thumbsup:

Firstly, start as you mean to go on, it won't be impressed if you let it sleep inside then suddenly expect it to sleep outside.

Perhaps buy a kennel now aswell, get it up off the ground,and put lots of bedding inside( mine have feather doonas, and heat pads).If its outside during the day its still pretty chilly atm. it has the choice then.

Try not to stress about the whole thing and let the pup fit in around you, bear in mind bullies only do things if there is something in it for them! :laugh:

I wouldn't be doing that. the puppy will get used to sleeping with people in a warm room, right next to them and then one day will get kicked out to be sleeping alone outside.

Not fair.

If you want her to be sleeping outside do that from day one. But i see no reason why she would have to sleep outside ;-)

Anything you want the dog to do or not to do in the future do from day one. None of that chopping and changing. Confusing the dog, especially if you give something good and then take it away.

As to crate/kennel

I always buy everything as its for an adult dog. The only thing that changes is collars and coats, maybe size of toys.

So you guys think that if we want her to be outside when we are not home and eventually sleeping outside then we should start her off that way from day one? I know my partner wants her inside overnight initially that's for sure.

If pup sleeps inside over night permanently do you think it will be an issue putting her outside with her own kennel when we are not home is an issue? With regards to training that is?

So we would basically house train her using a crate...she is inside when someone is home...sleeps inside at night...but is outside with her own kennel and toys when we are away from home?

That sounds fine.

My two are outside from mid morning allday ,my bully has a coat on.

They have kennels, beds and access to the garage with their couch.

After the evening walk and meal they come inside.

Make sure outside is safe and lots to play with and a safe warm bed. if you can get the pup used to being outside alone while you are home early on its easier. just do it for short periods of time to start with.

If pup sleeps inside over night permanently do you think it will be an issue putting her outside with her own kennel when we are not home is an issue? With regards to training that is?

So we would basically house train her using a crate...she is inside when someone is home...sleeps inside at night...but is outside with her own kennel and toys when we are away from home?

That's sounds perfectly normal :)

My pup was like that from day 1 and coped fine.

If you have any days off from work when you get her don't forget to give her some short time alone outside during the day (as hard as it might be to drag yourself away from the new puppy) to get her used to being alone.

I actually wouldn't put a small breed baby puppy outside at night until at least five or six months old, unless it was in a warm, draft-proof shed or outbuilding. Mini bull terriers are toy size dogs and Mebourne winter nights are COLD. Baby puppies are masters at removing and chewing up overnight coats, sigh. Or ignoring the kennel and shivering under a window.

I take it that you plan to have the puppy indoors when someone is home during the day, and outdoors during the day when no-one is home. Eventually, the puppy will spend the nights outdoors too. If this is correct, then my advice would be to start off with the dog's bed/crate in the laundry room or very near the back door. Install the snug kennel outdoors ASAP and let the baby puppy play in the kennel area during the warmest part of the day, to encourage him to see the kennel as a sleeping den. Temporarily fence or pen off a small area around the kennel -say up to three of four times the size of the kennel, but no more.

Once the pup is big enough for kenneling, keep the temporary pen around the kennel (at least at night time) for several weeks, until it is his habit to sleep there. Some pups and dogs will stubbornly sleep next to the back door, and ignore the lovely kennel and warm cosy rugs, so help him get the habit!

To start a puppy off sharing your bedroom (crate or no crate) is unfair as the puppy will not understand why it is not allowed to sleep with you any more when you decide it is time, so make you sure you start with separate sleeping quarters, then the move from the laundry to the outside kennel will not be stressful.

Baby puppies can sleep a lot easier in their first few days away from their littermates is you provide them with a Snuggle Puppy or similar product which is warm and has an imitation heart beat. These are wisely available online or some large pet stores may carry them. They are wonderful!

If I had one dog it would be sleeping indoors all its life :)

I currently have 3 and they sleep indoors in a "dog room", mined you they used to sleep in my bedroom but after all were attempting to take over the bed I have moved them out of the bedroom.

But Id never let the puppy sleep indoors for couple of months and then kick it outside at night.

I can just imagine howling :(

Maybe make it sleep in the laundry, so it gets used to being alone at night. I dont think its fair to get the dog used to sleeping with the pack and then making it sleep alone.

My dogs are inside when I'm home and outside when I'm not, starting from day one.

If you don't mind it sleeping inside, there is no reason why it cant be outside when you go out, or during the day for periods anyway.

i work from home, but mine go out during the day anyway.

P.S where is pup comming from? might be my breeder .

Edited by juice

Thanks for all the advice guys...much appreciated.

If you don't mind it sleeping inside, there is no reason why it cant be outside when you go out, or during the day for periods anyway.

i work from home, but mine go out during the day anyway.

P.S where is pup comming from? might be my breeder .

Pup is coming from Yanina Brown (Bulltacho).

What do you guys think about crate size for indoors?

Decided on the Midwest LifeStages but can't decide on a size.

30" (75cm) - Dimensions: 78 L x 50 W x 54.6 H cm

36" (90cm) - Dimensions: 93 L x 57.78 W x 62.8 H cm

Both come with a divider.

Edited by joey13