See Anything Wrong Here?

Kirislin

Hard to believe a breed can change so dramatically in 50 years. :(. Remember the Grand Champion at Crufts a few years ago? A Peke who could hardly walk and wheezed like bellows.

ETA: when I saw the pic, I thought the dog was a Tibbie to be honest.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I think it's a Tibbie. Those books weren't exactly a breeders bible. :laugh: My parents had pekes over 30 years ago, 2 of them that were closely related, one looked more Tibbie like, the other was more like what is seen in the ring. The 3rd, unrelated, was in between the two types.

Hard to believe a breed can change so dramatically in 50 years. :(. Remember the Grand Champion at Crufts a few years ago? A Peke who could hardly walk and wheezed like bellows.

ETA: when I saw the pic, I thought the dog was a Tibbie to be honest.

I think it's a Tibbie. Those books weren't exactly a breeders bible. :laugh: My parents had pekes over 30 years ago, 2 of them that were closely related, one looked more Tibbie like, the other was more like what is seen in the ring. The 3rd, unrelated, was in between the two types.

Yep, it IS a Tibbie. :laugh: Inside the photos are of Pekes, and they've certainly changed alot, but not that much. Our Peke looked much like the ones inside the book but they still had squashed faces, not like the cover photo dog.

Yep, my Mum was breeding pekes in the 60's, and their faces were flat...they may not have had quite as much coat as today's show pekes, plus they were a little bit longer in body and neck but the publisher has put a tibbie on the front cover LOL

I agree with those who've said it's a Tibetan Spaniel. And a darn nice looking one. Has key features of a Tibbie .... almond shaped eyes, no folds on muzzle & slightly domed head. Pekes have rounder eyes, folds on flatter muzzle & different head shape. It's the book that's got it wrong. We had friends in the 1960s-70s who had a purebred Peke called Sapphire. Sapphire could not be confused with a Tibbie.

Googled & found a page with pic of Peke which won at Crufts in 1960. Looks just like Sapphire & nothing like a Tibbie.

http://www.border-wars.com/2013/02/the-peke-doesnt-stand-a-chance.html

Also has pics of an American show Peke from 1946 contrasted with the British Peke at that time. Slightly closer to a Tibbie but still definitely not a Tibbie to my eye.

Edited by mita

Just out of interest. Recently saw a film of Dublin Dog Show from 1924 posted on the Tibbie Club of Ireland's Facebook page. The current breeders identify 2 little dogs very early in the film as Tibetan Spaniels... flash of a profile shows a muzzle longer than a Peke's. Then right towards the end are 2 other little dogs on a lady's knee .... flash of a profile shows much shorter, folded muzzles of Pekes.

Or just enjoy the music. :)

I love that old newsreel of steeplechasing pekes in britain in the 60's - these are very much as my mum bred (except that most of hers were parti-colours). I nticed that it was referenced in one of mita's links, but you can't see mauch in the stills - so here is the video:

Enjoy! smile.gif

I love that old newsreel of steeplechasing pekes in britain in the 60's -

Enjoy! smile.gif

Hysterical! :)

As soon as I saw them move ... I'd pick them as not Tibbies. Pekes are flatter-footed, shorter- legged than Tibbies who can climb like mountain goats.

The breeds developed in 2 different environments with different lifestyles. Palaces in China & monasteries in Himalayan Tibet.

Seems like whoever designed the cover of that 1960s book, didn't have a clue that a Tibbie is not a Peke or vice versa.

Edited by mita

Yep, my Mum was breeding pekes in the 60's, and their faces were flat...they may not have had quite as much coat as today's show pekes, plus they were a little bit longer in body and neck but the publisher has put a tibbie on the front cover LOL

oooh I wonder if Pixie came from your Mum. I always thought she came from Little Lemon Kennels but her name in the book is written Melva Pixie so I'm wondering if that was her registered name. Her DOB was 21/2/60

Mum's written in the back of the book Sat 10/9/60 6 1/2months Pixie on heat-not feeling well.

Pixie died when she was 13 years old and I've suspected for a while she might have died from pyometra :( I remember that she was sick for a while and my father refused to take her to the vet. My mother couldn't drive and never had any money so was totally reliant on him. Poor Pixie, I still remember how upset Mum was when she died.

oooh I wonder if Pixie came from your Mum. I always thought she came from Little Lemon Kennels but her name in the book is written Melva Pixie so I'm wondering if that was her registered named.

Mum was an Adelaide breeder (well she is still in Adelaide but has retired from breeding) so unless your Pixie came from Adelaide it would be unlikely. Mum's prefix was Jungho.

oooh I wonder if Pixie came from your Mum. I always thought she came from Little Lemon Kennels but her name in the book is written Melva Pixie so I'm wondering if that was her registered named.

Mum was an Adelaide breeder (well she is still in Adelaide but has retired from breeding) so unless your Pixie came from Adelaide it would be unlikely. Mum's prefix was Jungho.

no, not her. I dont know what Pixies pedigree was, Mum might still have it somewhere. She was a sweet little dog, I remember that much.