2015 Australian National Ipo Open Championship

• 2 weeks later...

So is IPO tracking like regular tracking where dog and handler disappear into the bush never to be seen again, or is that when they have to find the person hiding in the right tee-pee?

And obedience is what Mia S does/trains so well?

I want to make sure I rock up to the right venue...

From the FB page... tho I'm not rocking up anywhere at 6am...

SAT 8th

6.00am Tracking -Technology Park, Third Ave, Mawson Lakes

12.00pm Obedience 400 Waterloo Corner Rd, Burton

SUN 9th

6.00am Tracking -Technology Park, Third Ave, Mawson Lakes

12.00pm Character Work 400 Waterloo Corner Rd, Burton

IPO tracking is more nose to ground, footstep to footstep tracking...some call it precision tracking. Finding the person in the tee-pee (blind) forms part of the Character Phase (some call it protection). IPO heeling is bag loads of heeling, long wearying steps of focused heeling. (Or in my case sweating bullets that your dog doesn't get bored and creative heeling). With a dog in a long down during the other dogs routine. Group exercise...recall...and a few other nifty things like jumps and retrieves if you are lucky enough to be going for an actual IPO title. BH (which is what Willow and I will be ATTEMPTING), is only an entrance title.

At the Sportdog club. The style of heeling doesn't lend itself to group training classes. You want to set the dog up under a minimal distraction scenario so you have the best chance to reward focus.

It always surprises me that people call it 'IPO Obedience', to me it's just obedience. It's nothing magical or special, it's just rewarding the behaviour you want.

My very first dog was trained at an ANKC club before we discovered Schutzhund in Australia. It was like a godsend, here was a club that utilized largely positive reward when most ANKC clubs were still 'hang and bang'. My dog at the time was a very drivey dog that was a challenge in classes because she wanted to mooooooooove and work. And the Instructors were always telling me to correct her. I was like 'why? Why correct her drive and enthusiasm?' All they could see was a dog that danced around on the lead as disobedience, rather than a dog who got bored and bouncy because everyone else was moving too slow. :laugh:

So is IPO tracking like regular tracking where dog and handler disappear into the bush never to be seen again, or is that when they have to find the person hiding in the right tee-pee?

When you see the dog running the blind exercise that's the protection element, when you get to see all the fun bitings :)

here was a club that utilized largely positive reward when most ANKC clubs were still 'hang and bang'.

Hmm, yank and crank or paddock bashing... circle work... boring pretty much.

I used to make it more fun for both of us by running... and when I swapped over to a horse rope lead because she ate through three of the normal leads... (three bites to freedom - argh)... we could play tug too.

Eventually we got into a "fun class" and there was plenty of distraction which you countered with better treats...

I think I definitely want to check this club out - I was a bit worried they might be even more punishment based than the regular ANKC clubs and also that evil hound is not perfect like Mia's dogs (or Ness's) so I wouldn't be able to do the stuff. Ie she'd nick off at an inappropriate time. Tho we haven't had that problem in quite a while at training.

here was a club that utilized largely positive reward when most ANKC clubs were still 'hang and bang'.

Hmm, yank and crank or paddock bashing... circle work... boring pretty much.

I used to make it more fun for both of us by running... and when I swapped over to a horse rope lead because she ate through three of the normal leads... (three bites to freedom - argh)... we could play tug too.

Eventually we got into a "fun class" and there was plenty of distraction which you countered with better treats...

I think I definitely want to check this club out - I was a bit worried they might be even more punishment based than the regular ANKC clubs and also that evil hound is not perfect like Mia's dogs (or Ness's) so I wouldn't be able to do the stuff. Ie she'd nick off at an inappropriate time. Tho we haven't had that problem in quite a while at training.

You will find varied methods between trainers. ASC does not train in a 'class' environment, but rather each handler works their dogs individually with team support and guidance from those more experienced. You MUST have control of your dog at all times. If the dog 'nicks off' you will need to find a way to minimise that risk (through use of a long line perhaps...)

These are not general obedience or manners classes. Not everyone is 'competitive' but the vast majority are working towards achieving their IPO titles.

The club accepts all breeds and welcomes serious newcomers.

Come out for a look and a chat on the weekend if you are interested. I'd be happy to talk more with you and explain more about the sport if you are interested. :)

Dory, you will be fine ;)

I think my dog would LOVE the bite work. Maybe a bit too much.

But the obedience work sounds like fun. It's a game of skill (on the handlers part) to get her excited about working but not so excited she goes over the top or so frustrated she goes sniffing.

I'd like to come out - but I might leave her at home for the nationals, and bring her if that seems like a good idea for training.

Tho I should have gone to agility training tonight. And I piked cos my ears were starting to fall off from the cold in the back yard at 4:30pm...

PS it's going to get a bit weird if I go round asking for Red Fox and Dory the Doted one... but I will just try to find some local club people and go from there.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Have you ever met Gladys the Rottweiler? My dog and Gladys were at puppy school together. Always pleased to see each other... nicest rotti I've met, but I haven't met yours yet. :)

Would you rather I waited until after you've been in the ring before saying hello? Tho not sure when I'm getting there, I've got a friend coming to visit and have been madly trying to get the not-spare room (ie the office or this room) fit for a bed. Still haven't taken the dog bed out or my computer... But we'll get there. I think I should have friends to stay more often if this is what works to get me decluttering... stressed much. I will match.

I will probably have a hat on. Or a beanie. Depending how cold and windy it is.

I will most likely be more relaxed after. We will be on sometime early afternoon. Depends how long the opening ceremony goes for.

She had another good training session today. So if it goes pear shaped, I know we aren't far off for next time.

Phew...what an experience this has been so far.