Scottie Is An Old Man

I just thought I'd pop in and say - it's not all doom and gloom. There is still lots of fun and funny times. Lots of joy and snuggly cuddles - which are one of my favourite things in the world.

He's got this funny habit where he takes things outside. It's become more pronounced over the last few months. Before it was just his plastic dish after he'd eaten, treats & toys- now it's anything he can get him mouth on. Ceramic bowls, metal water dish, the 'hoop' his metal bowl hangs from in his crate, socks...a roll of sports tape hubby left on the floor the other day... you get the picture.

Of course because he's so deaf he can't hear if you yell for him to bring it back, "leave it" or drop it.

So the other day I had a pigs ear in my handbag. As you do. And he must have relised because he buggered off with my whole bag, purse, phone, car keys, ID tags for work, the whole lot!!! :eek:

Luckily I heard him taking off with it so it *just* made it out the back door. God I laughed & chuckled all Friday morning at work too. Naughty boy :laugh:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought I'd pop in and say - it's not all doom and gloom. There is still lots of fun and funny times. Lots of joy and snuggly cuddles - which are one of my favourite things in the world.

He's got this funny habit where he takes things outside. It's become more pronounced over the last few months. Before it was just his plastic dish after he'd eaten, treats & toys- now it's anything he can get him mouth on. Ceramic bowls, metal water dish, the 'hoop' his metal bowl hangs from in his crate, socks...a roll of sports tape hubby left on the floor the other day... you get the picture.

Of course because he's so deaf he can't hear if you yell for him to bring it back, "leave it" or drop it.

So the other day I had a pigs ear in my handbag. As you do. And he must have relised because he buggered off with my whole bag, purse, phone, car keys, ID tags for work, the whole lot!!! :eek:

Luckily I heard him taking off with it so it *just* made it out the back door. God I laughed & chuckled all Friday morning at work too. Naughty boy :laugh:

well at least he takes your bag outside and doesn't pee in it,

Penny does if I leave it on the floor

well at least he takes your bag outside and doesn't pee in it,

Penny does if I leave it on the floor

ha ha ha... You'd learn quick smart not to leave it lying around!

My Aunt used to have a cat with a thing for real leather handbags. If you put a real leather bag where he could get to it he'd hump it and chew on it. But only if it was real leather.

They had to make a rule for all visitors bags to go away because it was too embarrassing to try and explain he was only into genuine leather :laugh:

How are things going?

And is it just me, or does Ziwipeak smell like chocolate? :eek:

Oh babe - that is def. 100% just you. LOL We feed the fish and ...something.... one ... it fair pongs...

As for Scottie - he's Ok. I've been splitting his time between day care (which I'd rather not do - but rock & hard place) and home on the xanax (also rock and hard place) and me being with him. :(

Having trouble getting in touch with the vet recommended behaviorist - have not had any contact from her and we've been one short at work so it's been nuts. I have essays coming out the wahoo (lol - so why and I even on DOL) and hub has been home a total of 9 days since the start of June - so I'm tired. But Scottie is alright...

I was chatting to my (ex)boss about him the other day when I picked him up from day care and she very kindly loaned me her DAP diffuser -which I hadn't tried - having used and had no luck with the collars before. Anyhow, along with the xanax on friday I also left it on & it seemed to help. He had a small chew on his pigs ear - which he hasn't done in a long time, chilled out a lot faster when I got home and every time I skyped in he was sleeping.

He was also excellent at dog walking today and was very patient with my friends foster puppy who he met - he doesn't know it yet but she's coming here for 2 nights next weekend while her foster mummy goes away for a family function (no other foster carers are free to care for her and her mum is a special case with the rescue - so we'll have her off the books :thumbsup: ) I suspect after 2 nights with an (approx) 8 month old pup with no manners all of us (Scottsdad will be home by then) will be cured of any romantic ideas we might have about puppies for ever and ever.

All that aside, to be 100% honest, things are really tough and the longer version of this post is certainly for another time - after essays for sure

:(

On that note - or in an attempt to not finish on a complete downer - here's a photo. We have this awesome little spot which always feels like I'm in some kind of secret garden & it's not too far from home. It has this lovely bridge and the creek is full at the moment. He's looking away because he had the shits I'd asked him to 'stay' and as I have said here before - he now looks away when he doesn't want to "listen" - he might be slipping but the old man is still in there ... especially when it suits him.

29027612351_55a01c207a_c.jpg2016-08-20_10-35-45 by Superspanger, on Flickr

Edited by Scottsmum

How are things going?

And is it just me, or does Ziwipeak smell like chocolate? :eek:

Oh babe - that is def. 100% just you. LOL We feed the fish and ...something.... one ... it fair pongs...

We have samples of the lamb flavour. I swear it has a rich chocolatey smell, LOL. :o :laugh:

I hope things there are more moments of lightness for you soon. I love the photo of Scottie in your secret garden. :)

:grouphug:

• 1 month later...

quick update.

I've been away for 10 days - Scottie went to the kennels while i was gone as he's a lot of work and scottsdad is ... well... forgetful at times.

I left extensive notes, enough food & lots of drugs (including 10 full days dose of xanax should they need it).

Hubby checked in twice for me as I was having issues with my phone. They said he was excellent and at some stage got an "eye infection" - which they treated without contacting us :confused::(

I suspect it was a gungy eye from eating grainy food.

Anyhow -hes home and seems completely OK except for a rub mark on his nose from where he's obviously tried to break out & was sent home with a lot of spare food :( but seems OK. I finally made contact with the recommended behaviorist before I left & hve some homework to do before we see them. Not holding out hope on that front - but we'll see.

Other than that, I think he missed me:

29577950794_6a5a1dce39.jpghome2 by Superspanger, on Flickr

(if you look closely you'll see his homecoming pressie safely nestled into my neck too) :rofl:

Vet visit today for a new script.

All seems well. Not shifting any weight :/ - slight gain since our last visit a month ago which is annoying. Have been very strict on measuring out meals and next to no treats.

Now I know for sure what he's getting a day and have cut down a bit (I had been eye balling it for while) I will cut him back a bit more. It is hard as the xanax makes him really *really* hungry & he's sleeping a lot more too. We suspect he was fed food other than ours at the kennels while he was there, he also wasn't walked while there - they're given free time in the paddock and he's not really one for "self directed play".

Otherwise the vet was happy enough with him - no significant changes - but we've started some arthritis meds which have been on the agenda for ages and kept getting put off - trying to get liver back to normal, then starting on the dementia meds etc etc.

So hopefully being back on two structured walks and day, slightly less food, some veg, plus arthritis meds we might be able to shift some weight.

Your plan sounds great. :) I hope Sir Scotland is in less pain soon.

Mal's weight has also gone back up after a previous loss. It's so hard to moderate when their energy output keeps changing due to illness or a lessening thereof! gah!

Yes - the vet was telling me about an anxious dog they have in where the owners were reported a welfare case she's so skinny

Edited by Scottsmum

• 2 weeks later...

Vet this afternoon. Shot 3/4 for arthritis. He's lost a bit of weight - which is awesome. He seems to be moving a bit better too - well he was moving OK - but his endurance seems to have kicked up a notch - he hasn't blown out or turned himself around for home in over a week now.

He climbed the walls last week after shot 2 - Scottsdad and I barely slept as he was up and pacing and on our heads all night. Fingers crossed that was a one off. He's settled and relaxed now (8pm here) so that bodes well.

Anxiety is up and down. Being managed by a mix of drugs and day care and me not leaving the house. :( Had a particularly bad day Saturday - which was my own fault more than anything. (Big thanks to PK who chatted to me while I gave in and just let him climb all over me and sleep in my lap). Behaviorist was a bit of a wash out. Not really ready to share that one yet - but lets focus on the good - the weight is dropping.

& some out takes from the 52 photos (I can never pick one)

Quick trip to the river after the vet for "swimming" - that's as wet as he gets. Dainty little man.

30071445203_737e64a0d0.jpg

30071435823_4b4dbc4653.jpg

Excellent progress SM - and in my mind you're being so sensible in your attitude and approach to it all. Its often a few steps forward before another one back. And you're rolling with it. Good stuff. And great news about his Lordships weight. Andy needs to follow his lead! laugh.gif

Excellent progress SM - and in my mind you're being so sensible in your attitude and approach to it all. Its often a few steps forward before another one back. And you're rolling with it. Good stuff. And great news about his Lordships weight. Andy needs to follow his lead! laugh.gif

Thanks WM. That means a lot to me :)

As for the *ahem* weight management thing. He hates pumpkin with a passion, but it was entirely me - I'd been over feeding him - and he's such a fussy thing that when he was eating something I was encouraging it so back to real portions and some tough love - if he doesn't eat it can't be too hungry.

• 3 months later...

It's been ages since I updated here. 

Weight steady at 11.5 still being careful but I don't think we'll get that last kilo back off him :( 

Vaccination top up in Jan - Just KC so he can board and go to day care as needed. Clean enough bill of health at that stage - bloods pretty good. Back in two days later as he managed to pull his dew claw out doing god only knows what in the yard one night when he should have been weeing. 

Deafness has bought a whole new level of stubborn to our lives. Night time wees have become a battle of the wills - usually with me giving up and coming in from the cold - to be woken a few hours later for an urgent night night wee ...  Unfortunately with the weather and where we live and how the back door is set up AND the dementia leaving the door open or having the doggy door set up isn't an option. I don't mind - I'd prefer he wakes one of us but I'd MUCH prefer he actually wee'd when I asked him to at a civil hour of the evening. 

He boarded last week while we were home for 4 days. He did really well from what I can see / tell & I was very happy with the place. No obvious signs of distress in him (he came home with rub marks on his face from the last place and they didn't follow my instructions).  Only issue being he came home lame. I suspect he over did it in their paddock where they have free run. I think 4 days with access to a paddock where he can goof to his hearts content saw him over do it. I watched him Wednesday night and made an appointment at the vet by Thursday had him in the vet today.  Some worry about his lower back & we've been sent home with 7 days of metacam to see if he comes good or if we need a stronger plan of action. Silly old man.

Anxiety levels are medium to very good. Hubby had some extended time off over xmas going back to work for a week in late jan then having a few more weeks off - so this week is the first week with us back to our real routine since before Chrissy. He's been really good with hubby home - only having one or two very bad days and even doing stints of up to 4 hours un-medicated!  We've even started going to yoga once or twice a week with no obvious tantrums or side effects. So that's nice to be able to do real grown up things again - like going out in the evening - even if it is only for an hour or two at a time. 

That's about it. He's pretty happy at the moment but really aging - I've really noticed it lately.