Farm Friendly Cafe Animals Mauled By Dogs

Guest donatella

It looks like a nice little place. :( It's probably best if they lock their animals securely away at night in dog proof runs from now on.

Last attack was apparently a dog flying past the groundskeeper and attacking, so nothing much to do with fences. Just human error. And it's pretty disgusting that there's enough roaming dogs nearby for two fatal attacks.

My Springer can push through fox proof fences when she's riled up so don't discount a determined dog either.

The article said the dogs dug under the fence. It's a bit much to expect dig-proofing if the animals are in a decent sized enclosure. Shame on the council. If these dogs have been reported for killing livestock before they should not be roaming free . . . and their owners should be paying some hefty fines if not loosing their priveledge to own dogs.

Stupid dog owners and silly cafe owners. Why have farm animals at a cafe?? And yes mustn't be very secure if they've been attacked before?

Why are the café owners silly? Its purely the dogs owners fault, they have even attacked before and they are still roaming. I don't get the blame the victim mentality, is it the homeowners fault if you get robbed because you didn't have big enough locks on your doors? It would be the same as blaming a farmer for his sheep being attacked by roaming dogs.

I've been to that cafe, it's lovely, the fencing is secure and animals well cared for. I hope the owner fixes up their fencing and works on some impulse control for those dogs. The poor chickens wouldn't have stood a chance :(

But I also don't think it's something to have the dogs taken off her for. The owner showed up straight away and didn't deny responsibility. That's rather extreme for only a second escape. She should get major fines and possibly dangerous animal rego - then she'd have to get better enclosures for the dogs.

They're definately not livestock friendly and they know where the animals are now. Even if they can't break in again they'd run up and down harassing. Better enclosures.

But I also don't think it's something to have the dogs taken off her for. The owner showed up straight away and didn't deny responsibility. That's rather extreme for only a second escape. She should get major fines and possibly dangerous animal rego - then she'd have to get better enclosures for the dogs.

Would you feel the same way if these dogs dug into your yard and attacked your dog though? Even if it were only their second time out?

We had a dog get our chicken a few months back and it was devastating. They're still pets and its still absolutely heartbreaking to go out and find them that way, I can understand why they're calling for them to be moved, now they've done it they'll keep finding ways to do it. Its sad.

Why don't people learn the first time the dog gets out that it needs to be the last?

Guest donatella

I feel for these poor poor animals especially the pigs that survived how haunted will they be. And those dogs will know were the good food is now so keeping them in is going to take extreme measures!

Does someone live onsite? As gorgeous as that setup looks in the photo, if the owners value it they have to make it safer so that people or other animals can't break in while there is no one on the premises.

I've also been in a situation where a neighbours three dogs broke into my chicken pen, killed all the chickens and harassed our Nubian goat for hours. We were asleep and kept hearing a wailing noise that we thought was coming from the guinea fowl next door. Eventually we got up to investigate and it had been our poor Nubian goat jumping from structure to structure inside the pen to escape the dogs, screaming for help in a way we had never heard before. It was horrible. Our goat needed a lot of care but survived. Only one dog was caught by council. Imagine being trapped in an enclosure and being attacked and unable to hide or escape from a predator who is doing it for fun. The only way to avoid that is reinforce the enclosure unfortunately but if no one is onsite overnight then even a snake could get in and eat a couple of chickens and no one will hear any ruckus.

If I hear animals screaming or howling I'm outside like s shot. The other night I sent my dogs outside, heard another sound and was outside in a few seconds. Called the dogs back in and apologised to our possum.

Stupid dog owners and silly cafe owners. Why have farm animals at a cafe?? And yes mustn't be very secure if they've been attacked before?

Why are the café owners silly? Its purely the dogs owners fault, they have even attacked before and they are still roaming. I don't get the blame the victim mentality, is it the homeowners fault if you get robbed because you didn't have big enough locks on your doors? It would be the same as blaming a farmer for his sheep being attacked by roaming dogs.

Because this is the second time it has happened and if it were me that would have been enough to decide it wasn't in the animals welfare to be kept at a cafe.

Would you feel the same way if these dogs dug into your yard and attacked your dog though? Even if it were only their second time out?

We had a dog get our chicken a few months back and it was devastating. They're still pets and its still absolutely heartbreaking to go out and find them that way, I can understand why they're calling for them to be moved, now they've done it they'll keep finding ways to do it. Its sad.

Why don't people learn the first time the dog gets out that it needs to be the last?

Yes I would. Even Considering Thistles recent experience being attacked by a dog. In our yard. That's why I mentioned suggestions for how the owner can prevent it happening again. Especially since livestock aggressive doesn't necessarily mean dog aggressive or people aggressive. Personally I'd surrender an aggressive dog cause I couldn't handle it, but if she reckons she can then she needs to secure her fencing to prevent this happening again. Like I said. In the post you disregarded.

I've lost chickens to escapee dogs too. And goats. And rabbits.

but you know thanks for trying to invalidate my views, the unwanted reminder and the hurtful attempt at emotional blackmail. I'll be ignoring you in the future if this is how you like to communicate :/

Edited by Thistle the dog

It was a genuine question? Absolutely no need to be snarky...

The point I was making is its easy to be gracious when its not your animals who have been attacked. I can understand why the cafe owners and public want the dogs gone, whether that's right or wrong.

Edited by Steph M

it is not the dogs fault. Many dogs would probably kill small prey animals given the chance.

Absolutely agree, but I can understand why the community are upset. Especially when this isn't the first time those dogs have been out and about.

I guess that's why they shouldn't get the chance the first time, nor the second.

The pigs weren't that little though. Brave dogs! Pigs don't mess about.

it is not the dogs fault. Many dogs would probably kill small prey animals given the chance.

Absolutely agree, but I can understand why the community are upset. Especially when this isn't the first time those dogs have been out and about.

I guess that's why they shouldn't get the chance the first time, nor the second.

These dogs are aggressive. I'm sure they'd be interested in passing dogs, were there any.

The owner is obviously incompetent, uncaring, stupid or all of the above. It isn't the dogs' fault, it is the owner BUT these dogs cannot go back to the owner and cannot be rehomed.

These dogs are aggressive. I'm sure they'd be interested in passing dogs, were there any.

Why are you sure of that?