Breed Id

JulesP

I saw an interesting dog yesterday and can't work out what it could be. Could be a cross obviously but I don't think so.

It was similar to a Finnish Lapphund. Black and tan and furry. Tail curled over back. But a bit bigger than a lappie and it had floppy ears that were very fluffy. Was fluffier around the face in general. Had a harder more intent look than a lappie too. I wouldn't have wanted the owner to have let go of it!

Can anyone think of a possible breed?

Not sure. I know the minimum heights are only 24 inches for a female and 26 for a male, so maybe some aren't as massive as the photos. It was the drop ears and expression that made me think of them, so many of the other spitz are prick eared and have kind expressions.

Edited by Diva

I'd never heard of this type of akita. What a stunningly beautiful dog! Lucky you. :)

I am indeed - it is a disqualifying fault in the show ring afaik but I had wanted one for years and she turned up in rescue at the right time for her and for us and her short coated "brother".

They are also known as Moku akitas.

Or one of these?

http://aedmapper.com/dogs/long-coated-akita/

My girl looks similar to this one - 35kg and a bit shorter than most femaile akitas around.

No didn't have pricked ears. Had very fluffy folded down ears. Quite big ears.

Ah sorry, missed the ear description.

I saw an interesting dog yesterday and can't work out what it could be. Could be a cross obviously but I don't think so.

It was similar to a Finnish Lapphund. Black and tan and furry. Tail curled over back. But a bit bigger than a lappie and it had floppy ears that were very fluffy. Was fluffier around the face in general. Had a harder more intent look than a lappie too. I wouldn't have wanted the owner to have let go of it!

Can anyone think of a possible breed?

Rough coat Anatolian?

I'd never heard of this type of akita. What a stunningly beautiful dog! Lucky you. :)

I am indeed - it is a disqualifying fault in the show ring afaik but I had wanted one for years and she turned up in rescue at the right time for her and for us and her short coated "brother".

They are also known as Moku akitas.

Sorry to go OT, but what a shame that the long-haired variation isn't acceptable in the show ring. That version is beautiful! Suits the basic akita conformation so well. Other breeds have long & short-haired varieties.

Going out on a limb - longhaired rotti. The tailed rottis do have quite curled up tails if stirred up. But they still look like a rotti, just with fluffy hair, so I guess you would have recognised it as such. Most artic-type dogs have pointed ears so maybe a husky cross.