Now That's A Great Dog Shelter!

sandgrubber

"Territorio de Zaguates" is a No-kill-shelter in the beautiful mountains of Costa Rica that provides home, food, vet care, exercise, recreation and affection to over 700 stray dogs, victims of neglect, abandonment and abuse.

(Came across this in the Terrierman blogspot. Wish it were in English.)

Edited by sandgrubber

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised this doesn't have a big discussion going! I just came across this video on FB and came over to DOL to see what people thought of it.

How do they manage THAT many dogs? How do they ensure there isn't fights and squabbles?

http://www.peoplepet...sta-rica-photos

IMO, even if there is fights and squabbles, it sure beats starving to death on the streets.

I wonder if the sheer number of dogs reduces the fights - ie : there are too many to allow the normal creation of a pack hierarchy, so each animal realises that they cant fight dog X and 'go a rung up the ladder', and no one is 'top dog' so nothing to defend. Just thinking it may be the case.

Many years ago I was at a horse show and the first horse in the 'stallion 4 years and over' came in the ring - and he thought he was it and a bit. Stallion 2 came in and stallion 1 was very clear in his belief that he was the biggest and the best. Nothing inappropriate, but you could almost see the waves of testosterone :-). By the time the 20th stallion came in the ring, no 1 had well and truly shut up, and everyone was happy to share the space - it was a case of 'cant take on everyone, so best not start something I cant finish' :-)

Perhaps that, as well as not taking in anything that was very DA would be enough.

Either way, seems to be a heck of a lot of happy, healthy animals, nice story

I'm surprised this doesn't have a big discussion going! I just came across this video on FB and came over to DOL to see what people thought of it.

How do they manage THAT many dogs? How do they ensure there isn't fights and squabbles?

http://www.peoplepet...sta-rica-photos

My assumption is that without so much human involvement as you just wouldn't be able to have so many humans per head of dog that there are less issues. They're strays, so they're already living the life around other dogs. I presume dogs are desexed before being let into general population and that would assist to some extent as well.

Yes they desex.

I've been in a couple of countries lately (Peru and Sri Lanka) which have large numbers of dogs wandering around - mix of strays and owned dogs. Not saying they don't happen but we never saw a dog fight once, or even any behaviour looking like it could head that way.

For the most part the dogs ignore one another.