Bru

swazzie

I posted a couple of week ago about my beautiful 7 yr old lab suddenly getting ill and being diagnosed with cancer.

I've created this topic to talk about his last days

I don't expect responses and won't ask questions

I just need some where to talk about him iykwim

Since I last posted he has gone downhill fast.

He's barely eating although he rallies for a few days and then goes downhill again.

We've tried him on almost every food we can , some he'll eat for a day or two and then stop.

He's still got his happy Bru demeanour, which makes it even harder for us to make the call.

We think he's mostly pain free although he is making this chesty weezy noise at times.

Oh swazzie, I wish you and Bru a special time together. I've just been be down the same path recently. We had chips for lunch every day during our last week together. Lots of photos and video of Bru, it will bring you a lot of comfort. Treasure this time. Thinking of you both.

Yesterday this woman said to me when her lab was sick and she brought him to vet , they made the call there and then as "after all he was just a dog"

I know I'm sensitive at the moment, but why do people feel the need to say stuff like that.

I was minding my business.????

swazzie ignore 'em!! Mac is in his last days too - and old friends were recently really critical that I hadn't already sent him over the bridge (the day after a grand mal seizure where he was clearly slowly recovering - go figure!) and they were really critical that I let him have some blue cheese when he was feeling poorly and wasn't interested in his usual dinner. So goodness knows what they would think of the serve of Maggie Beer's scrambled egg he has just polished off!

You know your dog. Just as I know mine and will always make the best decisions I can for them. And no, they are not just dogs but our precious family members.

Edited by westiemum

Yesterday this woman said to me when her lab was sick and she brought him to vet , they made the call there and then as "after all he was just a dog"

I know I'm sensitive at the moment, but why do people feel the need to say stuff like that.

I was minding my business.????

Charmers like that aren't worth bothering about. You do what is right for you and Bru.

I think we've made the decision and it will probably be Saturday. He's gone so frail, barely eating and his whole frame and head has shrunk.

It's just not fair to him , he can't even stand up without assistance now, but once up can go downstairs by himself, but can't come back up.

He looks at me so sadly, it's heartbreaking

I think we've made the decision and it will probably be Saturday. He's gone so frail, barely eating and his whole frame and head has shrunk.

It's just not fair to him , he can't even stand up without assistance now, but once up can go downstairs by himself, but can't come back up.

Swazzie, yes, you know when it's time. My heart goes out to you. Will your vet come to you, I found it a more settled time being at home. Our passing was quite beautiful.

Big hugs swazzie and will be thinking of you both on Saturday. I know what you mean. Mac is gradually becoming more and more immobile and is very wobbly in the mornings until he gets going. But he's still eating like a horse. The day that he stops eating is the day he'll go to God too. hug.gif

The vet is coming to the house at 8.30am.

I can't sleep(DH neither ).

I know it's the right decision but knowing that is not helping me much now

We had big cuddle and pat with him, just before DH carried him into his bed.

I also don't know how mister 3 will react , we've been trying to prepare him but..

Thank you all for your kind words.

Bru passed this morning.

The vet was so kind to us, she wasn't even our normal vet, they wouldn't come out due to it being Saturday.

We haven't buried him yet, it will be later today.

I miss him already and we are all so devastated.

I can't get the why him, out of my head