Problems Whelping

Amstar

My bitch Stood for servicing for 4 days from the 4th day it was 64 days ago she has enlarged breast tho not full of milk (can't expel any) she has refused food for 4days now she is always digging around in her whelping box but her vulva isn't very enlarged I have been taking her temp it's usually upward of 38 but this morning was down to 37.6 bout 8 am then at 10am was back to 37.9 She isn't showing much at all and is trying to steal soft toys I have a vet app for tomorrow arvo but just wondering as I've never had a bitch go through one just wondering is there any way to tell if she is having a false pregnancy she has had clear discharge practically all the time for about a week but other than these no signs of labour is it possible that she is only having 1or 2 pups or is it a phantom just looking for thought and maybe some advice she is otherwise very clingy atm and always licking me and the furniture

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you sat with her while she was quiet and just placed your hand on her tummy you might feel them move if she's got any puppies. Sounds like a vet check might be a good idea. It can be a stressful time. Good luck with her.

No I didn't test her earlier coz I didn't witness a mating I'm just assuming as she has bloated and does have larger boobs and her behaviour changed

I'm assuming they will do an ultrasound and it X-ray tomorrow they told me on the phone to wait till 65 day as some can whelp a lil later than others

I have sat with her as she has the spare room to herself with her box and a heater and all to keep the room at the correct temp I have been bringing her inside every night but during the day she just wants out when she sits to the side her belly bulges and I can feel what I think is one puppy sitting jut below her rib cage but as she hasn't been eating her stomachs is a lil sucked in I'm mostly confused as this is her second litter and she was huge last time and had 9 pups this time she just looks fat she gets really excited when she sees food but then won't touch it or she just hides it this has been happening 5 days now

My bitch Stood for servicing for 4 days from the 4th day it was 64 days ago she has enlarged breast tho not full of milk (can't expel any) she has refused food for 4days now she is always digging around in her whelping box but her vulva isn't very enlarged I have been taking her temp it's usually upward of 38 but this morning was down to 37.6 bout 8 am then at 10am was back to 37.9 She isn't showing much at all and is trying to steal soft toys I have a vet app for tomorrow arvo but just wondering as I've never had a bitch go through one just wondering is there any way to tell if she is having a false pregnancy she has had clear discharge practically all the time for about a week but other than these no signs of labour is it possible that she is only having 1or 2 pups or is it a phantom just looking for thought and maybe some advice she is otherwise very clingy atm and always licking me and the furniture

No there is no way for you to tell.

You should take her to the vet.

Hope the outcome is good.

Might be, there are 2 or 3 puppies that are dead inside.

Godspeed to the vet!!!

Kitisln I have been in contact with my vet since before her expected due date he said as long as she is still drinking and her temp is fine it's normal for then to go off food for a few days it's their way of cleaning themselves out to prepare for labour so yeah bit rude as if I hadnt seemed medical advice I'm not that silly

She is very private I never saw her mate last time either she doesn't like an audience but she was allowing him to jump on and was raising her V for him as well for 4 days in a row

We went to the vet yesterday and have a c section booked to birth the 2 pups she Was not as far along as we had thought

Thanks anyway btw when I say not eating she did have a lil nibble here and there for instance if I hand feed her lil bits of meat she would eat it a few anyway but she wouldn't eat her meals on her own

My advice is to trust your own instincts. You know your girl.

I was worried with my first birthing but the vet basically told me I was fussing over nothing and sent me home. Next day my girl had green puss oozing out and had to have an emergency c-section. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

She is very private I never saw her mate last time either she doesn't like an audience but she was allowing him to jump on and was raising her V for him as well for 4 days in a row

We went to the vet yesterday and have a c section booked to birth the 2 pups she Was not as far along as we had thought

When is your c-section booked for and what was the deciding factor for the date?

I was worried with my first birthing but the vet basically told me I was fussing over nothing and sent me home. Next day my girl had green puss oozing out and had to have an emergency c-section. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

that sounds very similar to my first experience too. I had been listening to the puppies heartbeats and could hear one slowing down. I told the vet and she just rolled her eyes at me and didn't even bother to check. Over the next few days Kibah got sicker and sicker and I kept telling the vet there was something wrong. Eventually she took notice when Kibah was almost dead. She had to have an emergency caesar and spey and the vet pulled out one dead puppy and another died the next morning. :(

Why is the vet going to do a caesar on your bitch Amstar? They can usually tell when she's ready with a hormone test, I forget which one. Perhaps she can whelp naturally when she's truly ready.

that sounds very similar to my first experience too. I had been listening to the puppies heartbeats and could hear one slowing down. I told the vet and she just rolled her eyes at me and didn't even bother to check. Over the next few days Kibah got sicker and sicker and I kept telling the vet there was something wrong. Eventually she took notice when Kibah was almost dead. She had to have an emergency caesar and spey and the vet pulled out one dead puppy and another died the next morning. :(

Why is the vet going to do a caesar on your bitch Amstar? They can usually tell when she's ready with a hormone test, I forget which one. Perhaps she can whelp naturally when she's truly ready.

At a guess I'd say the two puppies are large and once you hit a slow, difficult, whelping, you lose babies.

At a guess I'd say the two puppies are large and once you hit a slow, difficult, whelping, you lose babies.

Yes my first puppy was really big. The other 3 puppies survived though.