Vaccinations (Again)

Hi, all.

My normal vet has changed to yearly vaccs.

I went to same clinic, but saw different vet, to get his first "adult" vaccs..... she very strongly recommended C7 (South Coast, NSW).

eta: Rufus is often in the water e.g. dam on golf course, beach, ANY puddle etc.

I'd also left his vaccs a little later than 1 year since the 3 puppy ones, and she recommended a "catch up" dose 4 weeks later.

I went ahead with the first, but later thought: Why did I let her talk me into that?

She was also pushing for yearly checkups.... IMO a total waste of time for a young, healthy dog.

Previous 2 dogs would have C3 every 3 years + kennel cough yearly (if going to kennels).

Any new info. I should be aware of?

I'll definitely make sure my regular vet is there next time, but the newbie said they no longer offered the 3-yearly vaccine.

Thanks.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

If you know what you want your dog to have, then that's what you tell the vet the dog is having... don't succumb to the upselling to the C7 if it's not required - and certainly don't let them browbeat you into any schedule you aren't comfortable with.

T.

Hmmmm, sounds like your vet may want to read the AVA statment on vaccinations....

http://www.ava.com.au/policy/66-vaccination-dogs-and-cats

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) believes that in most cases, core vaccines need not be administered any more frequently than triennially and that even less frequent vaccination may be considered appropriate if an individual animal’s circumstances warrant it. However, local factors may dictate more frequent vaccination scheduling. These recommendations may be ‘off label’ for some vaccines.

Agree.

Never expected Vet to say they no longer used the 3rd yearly vaccine!

I asked for it and was told they now use only the yearly one.

Asked vet to explain why C7, given I'd always had C3 in past .. sounded plausible given how much water our dog gets into water (Leptospirosis).

Only after further reading, it seems more a tropical issue....I'm on South Coast, NSW.

Nodded politely re. booster and didn't get it.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I just booked Nova in for his KC intranasal. I've moved back to my old town, back with my old vets which I've always loved. They have done triennial C3s for years, any C3 can be done triennially.

I'm going to see if they can write in his vac record that his next C3 is due in 2 years (3years since vac) not this year though as the last vet wrote yearly.

I just booked Nova in for his KC intranasal. I've moved back to my old town, back with my old vets which I've always loved. They have done triennial C3s for years, any C3 can be done triennially.

I'm going to see if they can write in his vac record that his next C3 is due in 2 years (3years since vac) not this year though as the last vet wrote yearly.

I've asked vets to do that and they have said they can't.

In some areas C7 is necessary- and not being in that area I have no idea how often that clinic sees lepto. That being said if it is not prevalent in the area then it is a shame that it is being used.

In defence of vets- the attitude that dogs don't need yearly check up's has been one of the reasons it is been difficult to change some vets to 3yrly vaccinations.

I recommend annual health checks to all my clients if not more regular check ins because I want to practice preventative veterinary medicine rather than reactive veterinary medicine! I can find/predict some issues years in advance of them occurring and we can actively manage the situation which is both cheaper and less stressful for all involved. In my fantasy world all the dogs are healthy and injury free and with a team approach thats how they stay lol.

My oldies get annual blood panels and check ups - for precisely those reasons Jumabaar - I like to know what I'm dealing with in advance, its less stressful and I think it makes it easier for the vet as well!

There's something really nice about getting a normal blood panel in a 15/16 year old - and the look on the face of the vet is worth it! (The first time it happened he thought the results might have been mixed up!!) laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

We do the 3 yearly ourselves and then with the dogs who come for our training classes and in the boarding kennels we hear many different stories.

We have three local vets...

One vet practice who begrudgedly agrees to it..... when we push for it...

Another local vet practice seems happy to comply and one of the vets at this clinic automatically gives a 3 yearly.

Whereas the third vet flatly stays with annual....

We always give the training people a copy of the AVA recommendations and explain they have the right to ask for three yearly or the option of changing to a vet who will meet their needs. We accept the 3 yearly or titre testing in the Dog Centre and when staying in the Kennels.