Rottie With Bone Cancer

bronsonb

Hi Dolers,

I have Rottie brothers that are nearly 7 years old. Sadly, one has been diagnosed with bone cancer in his hip and to make matters worse, there is a large mass in his belly too. I have made the painful decision to give palliative care until, well, who knows how long.

My big question is how will Tyson cope losing his brother, they've only had 1 night apart since being with me. Should I take them to the vet together, when the time comes so that Tyson will see that Hamish is not coming home?

Any experiences shared would be much appreciated.

A few weeks ago I lost my much loved Cavalier boy, Bronson to congestive heart failure. We made a late Saturday night dash to the emergency vet who did everything possible to bring my boy's oxygen level up, to no avail. Bronson couldn't maintain enough oxygen to sustain life.

My Cavalier girl, Dana, who is 10yo had never spent time away from my boy. As well she is totally deaf and he was her ears. Whatever he did she did and wherever he went she followed. Dana is doing ok without him but is more clingy than she was when Bronson was alive. She did go into the garage a couple times looking to see if he was in the car but didn't persist with it.

I lost my Rottie, Sophie, to the dreaded osteosarcoma and when I came home from the vet without her my Cavalier boy kept going to the car to see if she was there. He was jumping up trying to see through the car window. He adored Sophie and it was heartbreaking to see him searching for her. He did this on and off for 24 hours but then accepted she wasn't there and got on with life as it was.

They cope in their own way. Tyson may carry on as usual or he might fret for a day or two but he'll be fine. You on the other hand probably won't cope as well as Tyson.

I'm so sorry your Rottie has osteosarcoma I know how devastating it is. Osteosarcoma is an excruciatingly painful disease and your boy will need strong pain relief. At this stage pain relief is paramount, it's all that matters. That's really all you can do for him apart from love him for the time he has left.

I wouldn't take Tyson to the vet when you have his brother put to sleep. All your attention needs to be with the boy you are about to lose, to love and comfort him.

There is a palliative care forum in the health section. I don't know whether or not the "Unwell Rottie' thread is still there. If it is there are a few supplements we tried with our dogs might help you and your boy.

Edited by cavNrott

Thanks,Cav. I will also speak with my vet too, Hamish is booked in on Monday. I noticed this afternoon that he is not weeing properly so a little concerned that the mass is causing problems there. I lost my first Rottie to osteosarcoma so know what a ratbag the disease is. So sorry about your Bronson, my last Rottie was a Bronson. Special place in my heart for all of them.

The "Unwell Rottie" thread is still here, for anyone that would like to refer to it.

Sorry to hear about your boy, bronsonb, osteosarcoma is such an insidious disease :cry:

I had Belgian Shepherd litter sisters and was worried how the surviving sister would cope when her litter sister died from lymphoma - they were well into their teens at the time. Bijou did not look for her sister but was obviously depressed at the time although we had other dogs. She lived for another 6 months, seemed to be a bit lost at times, but when her hind quarters eventually gave out and she was unable to stand we sent her over the bridge to be reunited with her sister. Your boys are younger so hopefully the surviving brother will cope quite well.

:hug: Hugs to you and your Rottie boys!

Thanks, cav and trifecta, just letting you know that Hamish was given his wings yesterday morning,not quite the outcome I had hoped but I suppose we know what we have to do, don't we?

Tyson seems to be coping ok, doesn't seem to be looking for Hamish too much, so hopefully he will be fine. Time to concentrate on him now.

Thanks for the kind wishes, peace at last for Hamish RIP xx

• 3 months later...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

When we lost Bru in augt, Chloe his partner in crime missed and still misses him terribly.

I have to watch her closely as some days she is just so lonely ,so I get her out to a park to see other doggies.

I know she's having a hard time when she'll head off to a corner somewhere and just curl up - which is not her doggie personality at all - she's normally in the middle of everything

The days I'm home with my three year old are better for her.

thinking of you and Tyson xx

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry for your loss its hard loosing a beloved dog member of your family.

My Anna has Cushings and with tumours on her liver they think.

So she has come home to spend her time with us untill its time.

I have a similar problem Anna is Cedro's mum he has never been away from her. In the last month or so she has been at the vets for a few days each time and he has been really upset about her being away.

When I lost Bob and Molly on the same day my Gilly nearly died of sadness, then Anna and Cedro came and he picked up and now is happy. He is 20 so I am really worried about him as well when Anna isn't here.

Its so complicated I just take a day at a time now.

I was thinking about taking Cedro with me when its Anna's time but thanks for the advice about giving that last time with Anna.