Dogs At Markets - Yay Or Nay?

Steph M

60 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs at markets

• Yes - Allow them
    • No - Ban them

My dog at a market? Fine :D

But as a stall holder who has had dogs cock their legs on my gazebo while their oblivious owners browse or chat? No.

As a stall holder also, I have seen some do this also so I am always watching when someone comes near my stall with their dog and there are always ones who are not watching what their dog is doing. I wouldn't take mine as then I wouldn't be able to browse and only have one hand for carrying purchases :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

No, becaus most people don't watch what their dogs are doing. I have seen too many close calls with fights, dogs peeing all over stalls, tripping people up etc.

I'm all for it but it can be embarrassing. We took our 6 month old Rottweiler to the Parkleigh markets when we lived in Sydney a long long time ago, we bumped in to a friend who had her dog there. her dog was sick and had diarrhoea, our pup went out in sympathy and started pooing every where.

We couldn't get out of there quick enough, well actually I left the ex trying to scurry out with the pup while I hid way back with our baby as if I didn't know them.

I'm a market stall holder most weekends, either farmers' market or browse-buy kind, do both. Love seeing dogs at markets. Yes it can be annoying if they do a leg lift on the marquee corner, or a buying-customer's English-leather boot. I'm not beyond saying loudly to the dog handler "short leads please, now" - they are so shocked they shorten up and control their dog. (That's another lost customer of course). But for the most dogs and market crowds are good, it's part of the mix. Could be a whole photo-essay on its own.

And stall-holders' dogs are very savvy about staying quiet and minding their own biscuits, while being sociable with their admirers.

One of my dogs wouldn't like it, so she stays home with a kong. My boy loves a market and is very well behaved, would never pee on a stall or person, reads dogs extremely well, etc. Also I am aware he is with me (rather than just trailing him behind lol), so I am watching and won't put him in situations I don't want him to be in.

Owners need to be honest with themselves, not all dogs are the social butterfly's they may want them to be. Not all people are.

One of my dogs wouldn't like it, so she stays home with a kong. My boy loves a market and is very well behaved, would never pee on a stall or person, reads dogs extremely well, etc. Also I am aware he is with me (rather than just trailing him behind lol), so I am watching and won't put him in situations I don't want him to be in.

Owners need to be honest with themselves, not all dogs are the social butterfly's they may want them to be. Not all people are.

You are so right, I have one Boxer that is a crazy kid, he doesn't read other dogs well and thinks every dog is his friend and every person. My girl however waits for people and dogs to come to her. My Aussie is just learning to trust people again since coming to live with us so we don't put him in situations with a lot of loud noise or a lot of people as it makes him very nervous.

I'm a market stall holder most weekends, either farmers' market or browse-buy kind, do both. Love seeing dogs at markets. Yes it can be annoying if they do a leg lift on the marquee corner, or a buying-customer's English-leather boot. I'm not beyond saying loudly to the dog handler "short leads please, now" - they are so shocked they shorten up and control their dog. (That's another lost customer of course). But for the most dogs and market crowds are good, it's part of the mix. Could be a whole photo-essay on its own.

And stall-holders' dogs are very savvy about staying quiet and minding their own biscuits, while being sociable with their admirers.

OT but what stalls / markets are you at usually? I go to the Showground markets from time to time and will be visiting the Handmade markets tomorrow. :)

Eta: as far as dogs at markets go, I agree that it sucks that a few ruin it for everyone, but I absolutely wouldn't put up with dogs pissing on my stall or my leg so I can understand why some don't allow it.

Edited by mr.mister

I used to sell my handmade pet goodies at a local farmer's market and the variety of purebred dogs that visited was amazing. I've seen breeds there that I have never seen at even a pet event. The markets sell all kinds of food and I've not seen any problems with dogs being there. I would've loved to take one of mine with me each week but I don't have the kind of dogs who would sit still for that many hours.

Out of all the places I've taken the puppies the farmer's market was best. They hold loads of attention, including from one little girl who just loved Bunny. They met other dog, saw strange things and had a splendid time. We visit an arts market tomorrow.

I don't have a problem with dogs at markets, or anywhere. I don't like people bringing dogs to places where they say no dogs. Even if it's a few ruining it for everyone ect, If you feel like you can ignore rules and drag your dog along ignoring signs then you are not a good dog owner and it's your fault that rules are made.

We have taken our dogs since they were pups to our local monthly farmers market and also to any other dog friendly market we can find.

Most people are fine with it and the amount of attention the dogs get, from kids especially, makes it a lovely expierence.

If you just make sure the dogs do their business before you go in and bring them out,as soon as they do the I wanna pee shuffle, then no accidents.

I love the community feel that you get when bringing the puppies to markets.

Edited by swazzie

Yes sure, so long as they're under control, not aggressive and dont piss all over the stallholders wares and their handlers pick up after them. I love seeing dogs at markets. I took 2 of mine last week and couldn't count the number of times we were stopped so people could pat them and talk to me.

I'm all for it, as long as they're on lead and under control. Though I don't like taking my own dog to them because it's harder to move around and I'd prefer not to have to worry about him and just enjoy myself.

It's one of those lowest common denominator - common sense is not that common. We've got 4 dogs. 2 I'd take, 2 I wouldn't - if they were allowed. Sadly, not everyone is dog savvy and not everyone has the smarts to know that not every dog is suited to every environment and that it's not other people who should have to tolerate our dogs while they gain their social skills.

I go to the Richmond markets every Saturday morning with the dog. There's a fenced off lead Park next to it he gets to run around and toilet in before the great mental stimulation of being on a short lead up and down the veg stalls.

It's our favourite part of the week, I get cheap veg and he gets a romp, attention and stimulation :)

Edited by mackiemad

I love taking my dogs to markets. It's also a great distraction for training and awesome socialization for pups, especially as other dogs are leashed. I've been taking my puppy to the markets every weekend, we have a very cute local market we have been going to weekly of late. I get so many comments and compliments on her behavior and a few of the store holders call her their "favorite dog" lol

Edited by huski

It's one of those lowest common denominator - common sense is not that common. We've got 4 dogs. 2 I'd take, 2 I wouldn't - if they were allowed. Sadly, not everyone is dog savvy and not everyone has the smarts to know that not every dog is suited to every environment and that it's not other people who should have to tolerate our dogs while they gain their social skills.

True. I only took 2 of mine when I went the other week. 4 would have been too many to comfortably handle and still be able to browse and shop.