Glyde Or Sashas Blend Or ?!?!?

my wee bud byron developed a limp some weeks back. after manipulation, i was quoted for xrays and surgery to repair ACL. both patellas are in place but i'm told there may be slight tears and so i'm quoted $2,500 for the surgery to repair any ACL tears. i was given some NSAIDs to administer.

the next day however, he's pulled up 'weak and wonky' in both back legs to the point where his hind legs couldn't carry him raising his front legs up a short step. so, he's worse now than he was before the vet visit. when i called to explain his new circumstances and my concerns regarding the manipulation, i was told that he may be arthritic and i was given a paper describing products that would benefit him along with a further 10-day course at my request of NSAIDs that takes us up to saturday night.

their preference is GLYDE but i've read a lot about sasha's blend too.

in your opinion and if you have a dog, particularly a small one, that has such a condition, what do you administer and if you've tried both or more and you've settled on one product, what was that product and what was it about that product that changed your mind?

tia and i really look forward to hearing from anyone :)

my wee boy is doing better but he is so not the man he was and for that, i am so very sad and worried for him...

I have tried both but have found that Synflex works better.

here is some info http://www.dogcancer.net.au/dog-arthritis-synflex.php

and you can order it here http://www.dogcancer.net.au/canine-cancer-contact-us.php

Sue and George are lovely to deal with, if you would like more info just email them and they will get back to you.

I usually get two bottles at a time as it saves on postage.

My girl has bilateral medial luxating patellas and of all the supplements I have had her on I found Rose-Hip Vital Canine to have worked the best for her. She had previously been on joint guard and glyde. I think its a bit of trial and error to see what works for a particular dog.

thank you both for your replies. i'll have a look at both and you're right ness, it will be trial and error. some of these products are so expensive tho, so to buy something and find it doesn't help will really hit the hip pocket.

thanks again.

I started making Tumeric golden paste for this reason. Ive been taking it too - costs less than $10 for a month supply - I think it works on me - I assume its working on Scottie.

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/

Edited by Scottsmum

I've put Zig on Canine MSM Glucosamine & Chindroiten Powder. Bought on eBay - made/distributed by zobil.com.au

Came highly recommended by a lot of Greyhound and working dog people. Very economical. Zig didn't have a particular issue but I was stunned by the difference within a week. I've put Em on it as a preventative.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I'm very happy with Sashas Blend. Have been feeding it to my toy poodle who was extremely lame on one back leg. She now walks 4-6 kms no worries. The vet quoted about $2,000 for surgery :(

Technyflex is another to look into. They are all slightly different so yes its really a trial and see type thing unfortunately!

Just be aware if the cruciate is a problem there is the real risk that all the strain from limping can do damage to the 'good' leg. Many end up needing both cruciates repaired at some point.

Another option is (and may not be correct as I did the sums a few years back) it was cheaper for one of of my patients who was a small dog to go onto the hills j/d (which is basically the joint supplement in the food). They did get very good results from it and preferred not to add powders/capsules and the dog liked the food so it all worked out for them. J/d does have money back guarantee - so it could be one to try and then take back if you don't see improvement and still have some left.

oh wow! so many good replies and so many alternatives. thank you all so very much. i have some research to do that's for sure.

he finished his course of NSAIDS last night so i'll next need to have him xrayed - $544 [incl of GA] for that little exercise. i was quoted about $2,500 for surgery, but if they find what they find while he's under and i give the go ahead, i'm sure it won't be that much on top.

which raises another point: during his physical exam, the vet said both patellas were in place, which is excellent news, but don't you need an MRI for tendons and muscles and nerves?

srsly, i am so hoping it is just arthritis or it's not and he's just pulled a muscle or there's a pinched nerve AND AGAIN, how can they tell thru xray?

so many questions, so little time!!!

thank you all so much for your valuable advice :)

My CKCS has had two LP surgeries and now I have her on Sasha Blend Flexi bites.. They are easier for her because she thinks it's her own special treat :laugh: she gets 4 bites a day as per her weight.

I was going to get her powder but she is a smart cookie and knows what I put in her food... So she wouldn't eat it.

The cheapest I have found is on EBay for $37 and they last 6 weeks :)

Pernaease has the same ingredients as Sasha's blend but much cheaper.

I'm starting all my dogs on golden paste (waiting for the turmeric to arrive). Make sure to research first and ensure you have the right ingredients and that the turmeric won't interact negatively with any medication your dog takes.

okay. thanks marg and mim for your advice. he's no longer on medication for this nor is he on any medication for anything else.

i had to work fast because i had nothing on hand to ease his discomfort and so i chose to check out petbarn which is really close by and at the time of my last post all i could find on their site was the rose hip, on special at $38 for 150gm [OMG] and so off i went to buy it and sashas blend was [OMG] $88 for 360gm so i grabbed the rose hip one, came home and OMG the size of those scoops and he's less than 8kg but for anything up to 15kg it's 2 scoops OMFG!!!

petbarn also carries pernaease but i didn't take too much notice --- i will however now!

it used to be that those that made women's cosmetics were on a damn good wicket then it was the rebranding for men's products NOW i reckon it's firken pets!

i'm time poor right now but i'll be looking into all of the products mentioned here; i'm very interested in the golden paste also.

i'm sure i'll be back!

My sister has a husky shep cross who is now 12. She has arthritis due to age so has lost strength, particularly in the back legs. Based on vet advice she had monthly injections for a bit then went on Sasha's Blend. She was like a different dog! But then my sister decided to try Joint Guard. It worked fine but her dog was always ravenous and put on a lot of weight. She was always underweight before so it is very odd to see her so broad now. We cut back her food and went back to Sasha's Blend and her appetite has settled and she has lost a little weight. She still needs to drop a bit more. There are great suggestions on here but we are kind of reluctant to keep trialling different supplements now due to the weight thing. I have no idea if increased appetite and weight gain are a problem for other dogs on some of these products?

thanks little gifts, that's a very interesting point you raise. i think i'll have another discussion with the vet.

his harness is a bit tight right now, but he's not nearly as active. he is starting to play a bit more and he can manage to come down stairs, but not going up. so with that and me only taking him out every 2nd day is likely having that kind of impact. i have decreased his food but only in the past few days.

it takes 45 mins to an hour just to do one block --- poor bella, she's such a good girl. towards the end of the walk, it's all too much for him so i carry him a ways, then i'll put him down again and he'll carry on 'til he's had enough again and so i carry him further. i tuck his leash under his harness and let him take his time, bella gets to sniff everything while we wait for him.

it's just so damned sad to see him like this and i'm feeling kind of desperate to get him back on track!

Skruffy you can feed an appropriate size amount. I would probably start with a one scoop and see if it helps as a loading dose. If you think you need to add more then do that :). My 17kg BC was fine on the up to 15kg dose. In contrast I have also at times had my 14kg BC on 2 scoops as a maintenance dose.

Edited by ness

I've put Zig on Canine MSM Glucosamine & Chindroiten Powder. Bought on eBay - made/distributed by zobil.com.au

Came highly recommended by a lot of Greyhound and working dog people. Very economical. Zig didn't have a particular issue but I was stunned by the difference within a week. I've put Em on it as a preventative.

Thanks TSD, have just ordered some for my crew :)

thank you ness, i'm working slowly up to a half scoop right now; i'll add more as the days progress.

he did so well on his walk today to the extent that i didn't need to carry him at all and in fact he ran several times but only in the early stages of the walk BUT he 'worked it' without my help and i'm so happy about that :)

we visited a friend and while bella bounded up the steps to greet her, byron was reluctant UNTIL he decided he also had to meet her and so slowly with one tentative step followed much later by 3 more and he was on her landing and i was applauding him because he hadn't been able to do that in days!

i'm very happy with my wee boy's progress, despite it being slow going...

i'll get him back to good, he just needs time :)