Looking For A Little Lap Dog

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So Betty (despite her surrender form saying she was house-trained) is definitely not toilet trained. Not the biggest issue in the world but my aunt can't toilet train her as she's mostly wheelchair bound. So I'm going to stay at her place tomorrow for a night and get some positive training done with her.

Taking down my light long lead and some training treats, so she'll be attached to me. There are no crates, which I'm used to, so any super quick tips on toilet training an adult dog without one would be great. I'm just going to treat her like a puppy at the moment. My worry is I've only got two days (she's not tested with cats and being a terrier I imagine she'll chase mine if I bring her here)

Hey Hazy, I've sent a PM to Dogmad. I did a search but I could only really find posts where Dogmad had emailed it to someone.

It's clear she has no idea outside is good and inside is bad. I can definitely teach her outside is good but I'm worried a little on the inside is bad bit!

I've replied Mackiemad - please read my message before you start following my method below as I have different info there.

My latest foster is a 10 yr old IG from a kennels who'd never been in a house before. It took a couple of weeks (IGs are slow) but she got the dog door in record time - about 3 days - for an IG. They normally are very slow to do the door, some never will. It's important to start showing them how to get out as well as the training, all goes together.

If there are issues with the little dog learning the door, please let me know.

Here's my housetraining method - pls note it is all about repetition and reward, no punishment and it's vital to clean up any accidents with the right stuff:

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

NB: Please note that the smell of urine must be properly removed for any housetraining to be successful. There are products on the market such as “Urine Off” but they are very expensive. A mix of white vinegar and water is a much cheaper alternative and should work for tiles and other surfaces although you should always take care with wood etc. For carpet/rugs, I use either a mixture of Napisan/water or bicarb of soda and water. I completely soak the stain using a dab on technique with a cloth. When it is very wet, I use an old towel to soak up the excess moisture. Again, be careful on any expensive carpet/rug, I have never had any problems but I cannot guarantee any method here.

Excellent! Thanks so much dogmad! I'm really hoping with a couple of really consistent days and lots of rewards we can start to establish a routine that my aunt can follow.

Thanks for the support :) I've printed out your method and will be off soon to get as much Betty time in as possible.

Ok, so an update.

Dog is fine. I did some toilet training this arvo and this evening which she picked up like a pro. I also did some training with both of the doggy doors, the one in the laundry she is confident with, the one in the kitchen not so much. The one in the kitchen is in a window panel rather than a wooden door so that puts her off I think.

Given she originally had full run of the house and toileted inside, last night and tonight she's been put in the laundry - it has the access to outdoors she's confident with and has two beds sitting on a nice mat on the tiles. Given she still has a bit of coat I think she's warm enough (I think she tends to rub warm temperature wise anyway).

She is whining and barking quite a bit, which we are ignoring (hopefully the neighbours will too!) but she won't ever be a bedroom dog again as she snores a lot and my aunt is a light sleeper. I think ideally she'll sleep in the lounge/kitchen area. Currently the door to the lounge and bedrooms are shut, but if she goes outside the laundry dog door she can come in the kitchen one. Am I setting her up to fail?

I'm tired so probably overthinking it. She's just gone quiet now (12am), I think she just needs a bit more time and consistency. (she has whined gently a couple of times since I said she's stopped. But she's definitely stopped scratching, moving and barking)

Dogmad your technique is already working! Took her out for a little walk on lead with treats and did it your way and by the end of a short walk she was really responsive and looking for the reward for the behaviour. We did a little more in her backyard later so I think she will get the hang of it super quick, she really seems to want to do the right thing.

I'll let you guys know how we go tomorrow. The not settling is concerning but totally understandable hopefully she doesn't carry on for two + hrs tomorrow night as well. When she understands the routine I think she'll settle into it fine. (I'm such a worry wart!)

Edit: no touting inside overnight. Took her out this morning and she went straight away :)

Also did a bit of dog door training before her brekky and she was great. Super smart little dog! Still not 100% with the kitchen dog door but already better with it.

Edited by mackiemad

I find a soft crate a good sleeping space for a small dog... it's like a little comfy cave. And I give them access to it, during the day, too .... so it becomes their quiet, snooze place to go into at any time. I also pop some treats in there to reinforce it's a good place. This means that 'going to bed time' at night is in a familiar place. I give them a soft toy... like a little teddy & I make sure I often rub my hands all over it to transfer my scent onto it, as the owner's scent brings comfort. Means they can go to bed with their teddy that has owner's scent.

As to snoring, soft crate can dampen the noise. Little tibbie girl next door comes to stay & she snores like a Mac truck, but she brings her soft crate with her so the snores get muffled.

I find a soft crate a good sleeping space for a small dog... it's like a little comfy cave. And I give them access to it, during the day, too .... so it becomes their quiet, snooze place to go into at any time. I also pop some treats in there to reinforce it's a good place. This means that 'going to bed time' at night is in a familiar place. I give them a soft toy... like a little teddy & I make sure I often rub my hands all over it to transfer my scent onto it, as the owner's scent brings comfort. Means they can go to bed with their teddy that has owner's scent.

As to snoring, soft crate can dampen the noise. Little tibbie girl next door comes to stay & she snores like a Mac truck, but she brings her soft crate with her so the snores get muffled.

I think that's a great idea, especially in this case - I really think she'd enjoy it - you can feed them in there, make it all positive - no need to close the door either but dogs love it usually.

With the clear doggie door that she's not using so confidently - just cut out 2 squares of paper and stick one on the outside of the flap and one on the inside - this gives dogs a target and they will not worry about using them.

Sounds like she's coming along very well! Good job :thumbsup:

I agree, dogmad, about not closing the door of the soft crate. It's a pleasant little cave that a small dog can move in and out of.

I'd also suggest contacting whoever fostered the little one for the rescue. That person might have useful tips of how they did the settling for the night.

So little Betty is a superstar :)

She's settled into the night routine really well and since she's gotten confidence with the doggy doors she hasn't had an accident (we have been taking her out, rewarding her etc). I had already put masking tape around the clear dog door, she just needed repetition to gain some confidence with it - she is now using it without coaxing :)

She had a groom and is looking great, she loves the motorised scooter and doesn't freak out with the wheelchair. I think she just needed some rules and since then has settled in really well.

I had suggested a crate (soft or wire) but my aunt really worried about her own manoeuvrability around one (she mostly walks in her own home but is very unstable)

Thank you to everyone, I think Betty has really settled in to her new home and routine and I think my aunt has stopped freaking out about a new dog that doesn't behave exactly the same as the previous one - which was a part of the problem I think.

My aunt goes to the main street and has a couple of coffees every morning at her regular cafe. Sitting outside chatting to everyone - I went with her for a couple of mornings and Betty enjoys the whole thing and the walk there and back is enough for her (but she's just as happy to sit on the scooter with my aunt and have a good vantage point!)

Edit: Forgot to say that she was from Geelong animal welfare society and was never fostered, so there wasn't a carer to ask unfortunately

Edited by mackiemad