Looking For A Little Lap Dog

My aunt has ms and is not very mobile any more. She lives down the roadshow her little local ships and uses her motorised scooter to get there and back.

She has had a lovely little bishon frise boy but in his very late teens he has finally passed. She is very sociable and often has ppl over but lives on her own and needs another dog for company.

We would get her something like another bishon or havanese but a puppy isn't suitable, and local (Vic. Mornington Peninsula) adults cone up rarely. So looking to rescue a little, low energy dog who would love living with and going everywhere with its person. Preferably low shedding as that is the coat care she's used to.

Male or female. Though as my aunt is a strong personality she seems to click better with male everything better as a rule! We are looking at converting her garage into a flat for a carer but the main residence is just her and the dog - so it would get a lot of attention!

Separation anxiety isn't really a problem as she rarely goes anywhere without the dog - she doesn't drive anymore so for doctors we tend to take her and the docs don't mind seeing the dog as well as her :) but it needs to be sociable for these occasions and for her, ahem, spa parties with her local mates.

If you guys know of anything that might be suitable I'd really appreciate it - trawling through pet rescue atm but it's full of lots of little active terriers which wouldn't suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a lot of senior maltese crosses, toy poodle crosses and shih tzu crosses in rescue and I certainly don't class them as active as terriers and they can come (depending on the individual) with the bichon/poodle type wool which is low shedding.

I haven't the time to go through pet rescue at the moment but the last time I looked for a similar type about a fortnight ago I found a dozen throughout Victoria without much effort - and in that instance they had to be cat friendly as well. So I would keep trawling through petrescue.

Even if you contacted a few of the larger rescues (look for the ones that have a lot of entries for Vic adoptable dogs) and asked them to keep an eye out for you, you could easily luck into being introduced to the right dog before it is even advertised!

Was about to suggest Cavs but then again they are not light shedders :p lol

But I second rescues! There are plenty of little dogs in rescues unfortunately with great personalities. Sorry for not being any more helpful - I'm situated in NSW and not sure about the VIC region :)

Thanks nyssel :) a cavvy is probably a bit big though for someone who uses a motorised scooter and has sticks/walking frame for around the house. Just a big heavy for just in case things. But a smaller non shedding dog with the personality if a cavvy would be fab!

He's beautiful hazy :) will get in contact with them tomorrow - thanks!

Let us know how you go :)

I thought he ticked most of your boxes but even though they say he is small he may not be quite small enough :/

Good luck!

Hey Hazy,

Enquired about him today and he does tick a lot of the boxes but unfortunately he is too big for a disabled person to easily pick up. So he's out of the running for us, but I'm sure he'll get a great home, he's a very sweet little dog :)

Hey Hazy,

Enquired about him today and he does tick a lot of the boxes but unfortunately he is too big for a disabled person to easily pick up. So he's out of the running for us, but I'm sure he'll get a great home, he's a very sweet little dog :)

Yes I thought that might be the case but never mind as you say he'll find a perfect home. I'll keep looking for you and see what I can find, shame she doesn't want a greyhound I could certainly find her the perfect match there lol

In terms of laziness yes! And I think she'd quite enjoy dressing it up in hawthorn football club gear :) but we really need something around the 5kg mark tbh, she can lift heavier but she would be concerned about her leg strength for anything up to 10kg. She has had falls before

Hopefully we can just keep her clipped short. It is our worry with her to, but thought she was worth meeting. One of Sue's good friends is a groomer so any dog gets clipped about once a month, so we're hoping that will keep on top of it.

I didn't even look at her originally as she is classed as a terrier so I just thought she'd need too much exercise, however it sounds like she doesn't, which is great!

Judging from the pic, the coat is Silky-like. Not as much grooming needed as a similar maltese or bichon or poodle or shih tzu mix, silky types don't mat that easily. A good thorough comb once or twice a week will keep a Silky in good nick.Your groomer will need to occasionally clip back her ears and groin and that is about it.

Pictures don't always tell the whole story, though. If she has been clipped right back in the past it can affect future coat growth.

She will be a terrific size anyway, let us know how you go!

P.S. even high drive small terriers can slow right down a bit as seniors!

Well Coco (now Betty) was absolutely lovely. Spunky but not too energetic :) my aunt could pick her up, have her on her lap etc and she wasn't too much. Her coat has clearly been clipped previously, though is a bit matted and sparse (looks like a previous flea problem) so she's already booked in for a groom/clip etc. As she isn't desexed she will be desexed and get a teeth clean before we pick her up.

Yay! A very sweet little girl (surrendered as the family moved into a rental that didn't allow dogs) has got a very loving home, and a disabled kind human has got a new companion to adore!

I totally forgot to take photos, but I'll get some when we pick her up :)

:eek: OMG she is beautiful!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :love: :love: :love:

Her coat will come in with good care and food. Silky hair gets brittle and breaks off like people hair when they don't get decent nutrition, fleas don't help either. I've had to shave some poor little buggers right back to the skin and it's always come back in nicely unless the dog is elderly with thyroid or cushings type problems.

Won't be long before she looks amaaaazing.

And a nice short trim will limit the amount of grooming for aunty but keep an eye around Betty's mouth and under her eyes (and bottom) which will need a bit of tidying between grooms because sometimes they get a bit grotty. If you know a groomer then all the better!

I'm so happy for Aunty and Betty. Well done on your matchmaking. :)

Yeah, I think with some good food and a hard clip back her coat will grow through beautifully :)

Really lovely outcome for everyone and I'm looking forward to picking her up next week and taking her to her new home! I'll get some photos then because she's quite a cutie and has great facial expressions!

Judging from the pic, the coat is Silky-like. Not as much grooming needed as a similar maltese or bichon or poodle or shih tzu mix, silky types don't mat that easily. A good thorough comb once or twice a week will keep a Silky in good nick.Your groomer will need to occasionally clip back her ears and groin and that is about it.

I was going to say much the same.

Thrilled for your Aunt and Betty. Just a thought: maybe you could have her clipped and groomed before the dental and desexing as you will need to wait approx 10 days before being able to bath her --- stitches and all that.

Looking forward to see the two girls happy together :thumbsup: