Chocolate Labrador With White Hair

Jannyj

We have had our chocolate lab since he was almost 10 weeks, now 17 weeks old.

We used a collar which was reflective and as it was too big when first used the reflective side was in contact with his neck hair.

There is white hair from the roots around his neck, a bigger patch at the back of his neck, he did not have any white hair when we first got him, we noticed a small amount of white hair then before we knew there was quite a bit. Our vet has not seen anything like this, no flea collar or chemicals have been used on the dog, collar taken off when bathed. The breeders who have both parents are also puzzled.

A spokesperson for the company who import/sell the collars suggested it was a natural flaw in the dogs coat. They also have not heard of loss of hair colour caused by these collars.

Of course if he was a golden we wouldn't have noticed.

I have attached a photo.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Jannyj

We need a picture

I have met several brown/chocolate labs that appear solid colour but if you push back the thick hair around the sides of the neck, the undercoat is sort of wheaten to white coloured. Often this occurs in the hair around the pants and through the tail as well.

Thanks SM

Google mosaic and chemara colouring in Labradors and see if anything grabs your attention!

It does look suspiciously like a collar could have been the cause, but if the hair is white right down to the roots, maybe you have a groovy mismark !

:) I doubt very much that a collar/disease caused this - it just looks like a 'mismark' , which can happen .

some have a white chest spot, or white hairs on their feet , or tails ... the placing/shape of that white is a bit like the ruff on a border collie .

Thank you for all the ideas...

I guess because the white hair goes completely around the neck at a varying width, under where the collar was and there is absolutely no other white or pale hair on the pup, it seemed like the collar was the culprit.

I was wondering what chemical is impregnated in collars to make them reflective.

I did Google and learnt that white chest patch and paws are a throwback, but I thought that was from Canadian bred Chocolates.

Our vet thought it was a chemical reaction and asked if we had used a flea collar, we haven't. There is no irritation on the skin.

Both parents are all chocolate, no white and the other 7 pups from the litter don't have any white markings.

Did some googling & found the same. Some white hairs or patches are found thro' the history of labradors. This US lab breeder's page, points out it's not considered a fault under their Kennel Club ... but that's not saying it's desirable.

Scroll down to where white hairs & patches are discussed.

http://greenstonelabradors.com/understanding-mismarks-in-the-purebred-labrador/

Not that I'm suggesting it, but I'd guess that analysis of the white hairs, would show chemical effect if they were caused by some component of the collar.

I'm no expert, but it does look more like naturally occurring white hairs.

Did some googling & found the same. Some white hairs or patches are found thro' the history of labradors. This US lab breeder's page, points out it's not considered a fault under their Kennel Club ... but that's not saying it's desirable.

Scroll down to where white hairs & patches are discussed.

http://greenstonelab...ebred-labrador/

Not that I'm suggesting it, but I'd guess that analysis of the white hairs, would show chemical effect if they were caused by some component of the collar.

I'm no expert, but it does look more like naturally occurring white hairs.

If the pup had the white hair when we first got him I would think it was a mismark, but because the vet thought it was a chemical reaction we thought it was the collar.

The white is not in the areas expected of mismark, chest, feet, groin and underarm only around his neck. Having the hair analysed sounds like a good idea.

The company who distribute the collars has asked for it to be returned to them to look at, don't know if they would test it.

Edited by Jannyj

If the pup had the white hair when we first got him I would think it was a mismatch, but because the vet thought it was a chemical reaction we thought it was the collar.

The white is not in the areas expected of mismatched, chest, feet, groin and underarm only around his neck. Having the hair analysed sounds like a good idea.

The company who distribute the collars has asked for it to be returned to them to look at, don't know if they would test it.

I could've read your OP wrongly, but did you say there was a tiny bit of white when you got him ... before the collar? I wondered if more white showed up with growth...but then your lab is still so young. I own a breed where dramatic colour changes can occur .... but it takes a gradual year or two!! And it never goes colour back to white/pale. Not like your lab, where it's a matter of weeks! Which does makes it suss for chemicals. Maybe it's just luck there's no skin reaction in this case.

It'd be good if the company requested some samples of the hairs to test because they know the chemical components in the collar & could get it tested for those. There are labs that generally analyse hair samples but they're usually tested against a data base of toxins, minerals etc.

Edited by mita

How peculiar! I also thought along Haredown's lines because where my Black & tan dog has had scarring there are white hairs.

Will be following this thread to see is an answer pops up :)

Our pup had no white hair at 10 weeks, the skin is the same pale white where the white hair grows as where his brown hair grows. There is no visible scarring, no irritation.

I'll send a hair sample when the collar is returned.

White hair to the roots suggests skin damage to me. Scarring can produce white hair.

Gus has a little white patch where his cheek wart was removed, I was about to say just that. Perhaps the collar rubbed and has scarred a little?