Lab Pup Selection Process

SamandJo

Hi everyone

First post here. It's a pretty naive question but my husband and I are looking for a second lab to add to our 2.5 year old female lab.

The girl we have was the last pup in the litter available, so we're not sure how the others were selected. Thankfully she fit in like a glove with our kids and our home

We've put our name down at a different breeder and they've told us while we can have our say as to which pup we'd like, ultimately it's the breeder who chooses.

I'm just wondering if that's the usual thing? Years ago we had a miniature poodle who was chosen for us and at 5 years old suffered a stroke. He was an anxious dog from the minute we brought him home and required weekly therapy and anti anxiety medication for the full 5 years.

So I know labradors are very different to poodles, but I'm a paranoid mess putting all my trust into this breeder after the experience we had with the poodle breeder.

Any advice greatly welcomed

From what I understand as a future puppy buyer, the more information you give to the breeder will enable them to pick the best puppy for you and your family depending on the goals you have for your new addition. The breeder spends stacks of time with the litter and knows the puppies inside out when it comes to individual temperaments, drives etc, so they are in the perfect position to make the best informed choice for you. The experience you had with the poodle was unfortunate but it does afford you a great learning experience - ask the breeder about what they expose the pups to early on, loud noises, clam shells with plastic bottles, plastic bags, kids, all kinds of fun things as part of the desensitisation process.

Do your due diligence, if you have sporting goals for your pup then have a look at the progeny getting out there from your breeder, see what they're up to, any titles etc.

Good luck with your journey into puppy ownership :)

I would explain your concerns to the breeder, and maybe see if they would allow you to visit several times before the 8 week mark, so you can get to know the pups and vice versa - there may be a clear bond with one of the pups which would make life easier. And if not, at least the breeder will have spent more time with you in person and had more opportunity to pick the right sort of pup for you.

If you were to buy a pup from me I would basically pick for you as well. I know my pups, I know who are more laid back, more mischief making etc. I would suggest a male pup cause you already have a female but I would be asking lots of questions about your female, her likes and dislikes, tolerances etc and go from there and if I thought I had a girl who would suit better then that it the one I would suggest. If there were a couple who would suit then you might be given the choice between the two. That's what I do :D

A few notes: Unstable temperament seems to be pretty common in miniature poodles. No decent Lab breeder will tolerate it. In my experience, with Labs it doesn't matter much whether you have two boys, two girls, or a girl and a boy.

Labs do vary in temperament, some are more active and boisterous than others. Some easily become fetchaholics, others see no point in retrieving (at least if it's not a real animal). A few even dislike water. Dog aggression, human aggression, nervousness, and fearfulness are things breeders select against very heavily, and consequently, they are not common. Naughtyness is generally tolerated . . . and very common.

If you visit a litter right after a big feed and the most boisterous pup has a very full tum, you may conclude that the little demon to be is a couch potato. It's wise to listen to the breeder's advice on pup selection cause they see the pups 24/7 for eight or more weeks.

Edited by sandgrubber

It's very normal for a breeder to choose which pups go where. I've had a few puppy people bulk at this and well, sorry but coming and meeting a pup and forming a 'bond' is total BS. So often puppy people will come along and say I like green puppy, he is bonded to me. What they don't realise is green puppy is a very bold puppy who has bonded with every single person before them and will be a holy terror to live with in certain situations. And in my case pet people always fall for the show pup, which naturally is heading to a show home. A breeder friend of mine had one puppy person who had "fallen in love with pink girl" and wouldn't take any one else, she was certain that pink girl was totally bonded to her. So when the lady came over to take the pup home my friend took all the coloured ribbons off and said "Right, which one is pink girl."

The lady chose purple, the one my friend wanted her to have in the end.

Let the breeder choose. We spend hours and hours of time with our puppies, we know them the best and know what kinds of homes they would be best suited too. Makes sure you talk to the breeder and tell them exactly what you want in a puppy.

I don't choose but I do guide - mine generally went to experienced working homes and the litter was very even but I still knew those puppies inside out and who could cope with their strengths and weaknesses. With this last pup it wasn't so much that the prospective buyer had no choice but that I spoke to around 10 people before I found his perfect home.

I let people rank the pups in the order they think they might like them. It is very interesting because only rarely do people choose the same pup as first preference. So, although I really do the choosing, by that time I know the people ( and pups) so well that I feel able to direct their attention to those pups that will suit them best and it is usually their second or third preference anyway.

Thanks so much guys. The breeder gave me some more info about her background and her family's veterinarian careers so I'm starting to feel better. Just scary, having to rely ultimately on gut feeling to determine how genuine the breeder is. So sad knowing they aren't all the real deal