How To Get Your Dog To Take Pills

Yonjuro

In our house " she who must be obeyed " uses tablet / capsule inside meat, cheese or chicken whatever is available.

I have a foolproof method of shoving down their throat. They don't complain and get dinner or breakfast straight away to compensate. This is never a struggle as they get rewarded with a feed after woods. :laugh:

I use raw mince for tablets and capsules, sticks to both well. I line up about 3 balls with the tablet/s in the first one or two and feed them in quick succession so the dog gulps the first without finding the tablet/capsule and has one or two mince ball chasers :) They would easliy eat more if offered. I never throw the mince balls as I have four greedy dogs wanting the food and none of them are particularly good at catching so without doubt the wrong dog would get the tablet :o

Yes .. another fan of the mince ball trick. Works particularly well if you have more than one dog .. although I did panic on one occasion when I gave one dog's Oroxine tablets (she was on a high dose) to the wrong dog .. panic phone call to my lovely vet .. but no ill effects.

My hypothyroid girl was on tablets twice daily, and both the dogs got mince balls. The boy I had then did therapy dog work in nursing homes and a palliative care ward. He got quite excited when he heard the meds trolley coming :laugh: , though he would always look rather puzzled that the residents didn't get mince balls with their tablets. :rofl:

Those processed cheese triangles work well too! Very soft.

Yes! When Louis was ill and need several pills a day, these did the trick perfectly. Cut a small piece off and the pill/capsule can just be pushed into it easily.

Edited by CrazyCresties

I gave Justice capsules tonight using the plastic cheese and it was brilliant. It sticks so easily compared to regular cheese. Thanks for the tip!! :thumbsup:

Excellent!! I've been using them for years and my lot still aren't sick of them.

Now you just have to get used to quizzical looks from friends as to why on earth you have that highly processed stuff in your fridge!! laugh.gif

Stan has the co-ordination of Mr Bean so if I threw a piece of sausage at him it would probably bounce off his head and I'd spend the next 10 minutes looking for it. Plastic cheese is what I use too, Stan would do a cartwheel for plastic cheese.

Edited by HazyWal

I'm a mean dog mummy... I just open their mouths and jam the pills down the back of the throat... luckily I don't have a dog that requires daily medication - or then I reckon I'd have to be a little more creative with the dispensing method, yes?

T.

Stan has the co-ordination of Mr Bean so if I threw a piece of sausage at him it would probably bounce off his head and I'd spend the next 10 minutes looking for it. Plastic cheese is what I use too, Stan would do a cartwheel for plastic cheese.

:rofl:

Same here Hazy laugh.gif My old westies are none too coordinated either - in Macs case its enough that he stays upright! But yes I get a row of automatic sits when the plastic cheese comes out!

I'm a mean dog mummy... I just open their mouths and jam the pills down the back of the throat... luckily I don't have a dog that requires daily medication - or then I reckon I'd have to be a little more creative with the dispensing method, yes?

T.

Yeah T I suspect so - the medication routine here twice a day and extras on Monday mornings and Thursdays nights is a well oiled machine with the plastic cheese! laugh.gif

• 2 months later...

I put it in mince I wrap it in ham and still my dog knows that there's something inside of it that he won't like.. before shoving it down the throat worked but now it doesn't... today I tried crushing it up and putting it in leftovers but he didn't eat all of it and I found a lot of the crushed up tablet in the part he didn't eat. so any other ideas?

Edited by JNE01

I had a lot of success with “plastic” cheese spread, but that fell out of fashion :( :(

I’ve now taken to burying my dogs’ pills in smooth peanut butter. I was pretty wary of this at first because of the fat content and both Danny and Bunter get three lots a day. However, I put a little mound onto the back of a teaspoon, bury the pills and wipe the teaspoon over the roof of their mouths. It is working - by the time they manouvre the past around their mouths, the pills are down.