Separation Anxiety

I got to thinking about this today. It's nothing to do with my own dogs - they'd love to spend all their time with me and they sometimes have a sook when they aren't with me but know where I am, but they do not have separation anxiety.

A friend, however, has a dog that has severe separation anxiety. If left without a human companion it will bark non-stop, spin in circles, destroy anything it can get its teeth on, jump fences, etc. Even when it has dog companions it does all these behaviours, there may as well be no other dogs there.

Today I got to thinking about what sort of quality of life dogs like this must have. Certainly there is a huge impact on the human quality of life if you own a dog like this - to not be able to do anything without having a human babysitter for your dog is somewhat limiting. But what about the dog? Do dogs like this live with a certain level of anxiety at all times and it is just worse (like heaps worse!) when their human isn't there? Or are they genuinely calm /settled/etc when their person is around? The dog I've mentioned I think is constantly in an anxious state, although no where near as bad as when the owner is absent. But I certainly see signs of anxiety in this dog at all times other than when sleeping.

I suppose I just parallel it a bit to myself when I have felt mildly anxious - it's not something I'd like to live with, I can cope with it short term, and I can cope when it's worse at certain times. I just imagine that living with even low level but constant anxiety is not great, especially when it's a dog and you can't have a conversation with them to get some level of understanding around it all.

Anyway, I just got thinking and really don't have any real experience in this so was just interested to hear what others thought.

Snook, I don't have much first hand experience of this having only briefly encountered SA in some rescues ; but I wanted to say what an amazing owner I think you are, I have watched your posts of your journey with Justice in awe of your patience, persistence and your love for your boy. I hope the meds kick in and you don't have to make that call after the lengths you have gone to to help him, he is so lucky to have you.

For Scottie - It's mild and I don't think his S.A. currently causes too much anguish. Certainly I feel bad when he is driven to destructive behavior wen I am not home but we're managing with a mix of exercise, enrichment and medication.

On the other end of the scale I know a dog who had such an extreme case his owner medicated him - strongly from the age of 6 months through to 2.5 years - before re-homing him. The owner never made any serious attempts at training the dog or providing any enrichment beyond draging him into unsuitable environments - and having him minded/ in human company 24/7. Within 2 weeks of being in his new home he was weaned off all Valium and prosaic & on last report had settled in reasonably well. It was a horrible case to have to witness - because the dog really needed someone who was willing to invest more in him than getting script filled ever 6 weeks.

Anyhow - I dont know if that answers the original question - just my observations of two very different examples.

I think it's degrees and also the quality of life for human and dog. Another DOLer ended up euthing her dog, she had exhausted all options and it really seemed the kindest thing to do.

My Tubster has responded well to training and meds despite his initial prognosis not being great but I do work from home and I don't really have to ever leave him for more than a few hours at a time. So he's gone from being a howling, inconsolable, pacing, anxious mess to just sitting on his beanbag staring up the drive.

Yes it has a huge impact on the humans and it's unlikely I'll be allowed another dog after he's gone. (Pht) I can't go out in the mornings until he's been walked and settled and can't stay away for more than about 3 to 4 hours max. This week I have to support a family member through surgery so the juggle between dog and human needs becomes quite stressful. People get judgemental about me putting the dogs needs first but firstly the human can talk and understand. Secondly my dog is always there, people drop in and out of my life and thirdly that's just the deal. If I choose to keep such a dog alive then it requires constant commitment not just when it's convenient. It's a choice I make every day I choose to keep him alive, I'm aware it's often a selfish choice as I wish to avoid the pain I would feel euthing him but then I have to accept the responsibility.

His quality of life is good, he gets a walk in the morning, spends the day either in my sewing room or in the garden with me and then either a training session or short afternoon walk. We go to training once a week and his social skills have improved to the point where he will actively solicit attention from strangers out walking, belly rubs always welcome. He communicates his needs and will come to me for help, someone sitting in his spot he will come nudge me and look meaningfully at the offender or walk up and lean on them. Does he gallop around having a carefree blast, never going to happen but he interacts with his little world quite confidently and asks for help when he needs it.

Have had many a foster dog with seperation anxiety but haven't had one we couldn't correct.

I think the quality life would be terrible for real cases of untreated/unsuccessful cases of seperation anxiety.

Edited by sas

Thanks for thoughts.

It really is case by case. I know I would struggle to live with it, both due to the impact on me and I would struggle to see my dog feeling that way. But I totally get why people rearrange their lives to deal with it - it's your dog why wouldn't you do anything you could!!!

I find it such a tricky thing, and I find it even trickier when I see it from the outside. I think no matter what we always bring a little bit of our own judgement in to most things and also our empathy. I certainly take my hat off to those who really do try to do everything to help their dog. I struggle with those who don't actually commit to trying anything and who either just rely on meds with no other strategies in place (what sort of life is a drugged up life? But if the meds are helping the dog function and have some behavioural therapy I'm all for it) or who just ignore it and really let the dog suffer.

I think I just find it one of those curious things, particularly as I see this dog nearly every day and I really struggle when I can see the indicators of stress in it but everyone else thinks it's doing fine. Maybe sometimes it's better not to learn as much as then I wouldn't necessarily worry about such things!!

My original heart dog (doberman) had severe separation anxiety, she was also DA and often HA, we had a behaviourist come in and help with one on one training etc and thought we had her under control until I decided to go back to school.

She started to fence jump and her behaviour escalated, we did everything our lives allowed us to do and it still wasn't enough, she reached the stage where not even my own family members could get near me without an issue and she was a mess if no one was home.

The day I had to give up on her nearly broke me and its something that has driven me to both work with dogs and be in a job where I never had to leave them by themselves.

It changed me and actually caused me to have separation anxiety from my dogs even now 20 years later.

I think if a dog is that bad euthanasia is often the kindest option.

Not nearly as bad as people on here but I find people think Thistle is "being calm" when she's actually gone beyond her nervousness/anxiety (crying, lip licking all the more desirable signs of worried but responsive/can turn it around...) and has shut down. So she'll be stiff as a board but not reacting to anything. Frozen in fear basically and I've either got to drag her away from whatever scary thing or pick her up and walk a few metres away. Can't do anything with her if she's like that.

At least when she's cowering and bolting ppl get the body language but when she freezes I find well meaning but clueless ppl more of a hassle because they don't see the difference between a dog statue and more relaxed behaviour.