Dog Licks Or Kisses ?

Lucky-Dog

Do your dogs value Licks or Kisses ?

We give them to our hounds but to get one in return goes from begging or pleading for one to total exposure to the tongue and dog kisses.

Digger will give a lick begrudgingly, :)

Honey will give one once she is in the mood which seems to align with a Blue moon, :)

Lucky however gives them all the time and it feels so comforting when mid walk and he comes back and you bend down and he gives a kiss, give him praise, thank you and a rub on the back and he trots off so happy with himself. :) :) :)

Tempeh is a kisser. It seems to be a pei thing as most I know like to give them. I sometimes request one and other times she just wants to give multiple kisses to you herself. My SBT girl is a licker - people, the floor, the furniture, the bedding, your clothes, other dogs. She is a mild licker compared to my deceased SBT. She even licked the air! If she managed to pin down the old family cat it would be dripping wet after her version of a spa session! he was so bad my mum would put eucalyptus oil on her knees so that Ricky would run over, get a whiff and back off. Otherwise mum would go home with soggy stockings.

Edited to add I do give Tempeh kisses on the snozz but I never lick Stussy back and I actually try to discourage her as she has slimy phlegm. Temp's kisses are dry ones.

Edited by Little Gifts

Dozer licks everything and everyone, he is no where near as bad for it as Lucy was.

I'll often give him a kiss on the nose and he'll give me a sloppy kiss across my face.

The cheeky bugger has been known to stick his tongue in my mouth mid yawn, so I make a habit of yawning with a hand over my mouth now.

I'm still trying to break Ernie of the 'lick people to death' habit. It's odd, I know, but I have friends who are not particular to dogs and being slobbered on will just result in Ernie never getting a pat. With him, I almost think it's a submissive thing since he's so manic about it.

Edited to say:

I don't mean 'submissive' in a Cesar Milan way but in a 'I know I'm not the most powerful thing in the room right now' kinda way. If that makes any sense. Which I'm sure it doesn't.

Edited by Stressmagnet

She'll lick my hands but her kisses on the face are quick and small. Considering she likes to eat cat poo, can't say I mind

I, of course, give her kisses all the time. She likes it because it means cuddles. Cuddles are important.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Jake wakes me by licking my eyes and forehead, no idea why he added the forehead bit. Maybe he's trying to undo the wrinkles he's given me. He has great puppy smelling breath so it's not that bad just a bit startling first thing in the morning.

Stressy I think labs just lick incase someone has left a smear or crumb of food somewhere. Isn't it the job of every well bred lab to leave no crumb unhoovered?

Jake wakes me by licking my eyes and forehead, no idea why he added the forehead bit. Maybe he's trying to undo the wrinkles he's given me. He has great puppy smelling breath so it's not that bad just a bit startling first thing in the morning.

Stressy I think labs just lick incase someone has left a smear or crumb of food somewhere. Isn't it the job of every well bred lab to leave no crumb unhoovered?

YES!!

It's not that stupid submissive schmeck - he's hoping someone ate rostbif with their hands!!

None of mine are lickers, thank god. I hate it! Jolie will sometimes do silly licks of my face when she is in a silly mood but that's it. I'm a vet nurse and couldn't care less about blood, poop or puke - but dog drool makes me gag lol.

ETA I love kissing my dogs though. :D

Edited by *kirty*

I accidentally trained my dog that if he licks me he gets scratches/cuddles. I hate being licked so if he was sleepy as a pup and we were cuddling or my hand was near/on him, he'd lick me and to get away from the licking I'd start scratching him or massaging him. Whoops!

But otherwise I'd never intentionally train a dog to lick. Yuck.

We have one JRT that loves to kiss - i do not allow it but my son does - the dog knows who he can and cannot kiss. Both our JRT lick, generally as they stroll passed or if we are at the dog park they will coming running up, lick our legs, jeans whatever, which i am sure is just reassurance that we are still there. I am still breaking my rescues dog licking habit, if she licks i stop patting her.

Wilbur will give me vigorous licks all over my face when i ask for a kiss: but then i trained him to do it so it's okay laugh.gif i haven't taught Laiken to kiss yet: she's still too boisterous and i'd likely end up with a broken nose or something similar. I kiss them both but much more carefully with Laikie as she's unpredictable.