Help With Name Please!

nazzri

Pups names here can take a few weeks ,i like to to see "who" my pup is & find the right name becomes very obvious .

I agree with this. Sometimes pets pretty much name themselves.

I took about 7 months to name my colt. I was getting worried because I couldn't come up with a name that fitted him. I'd tried lots on and they just didn't stick, then one afternoon he was hooning around the paddock yelling his head off, with is tail up over his back, pelting around until he turned and came at a flat gallop towards me. My heart was in my mouth worrying that he couldn't stop in time and then he just sat on his haunches and came to a sliding stop, all huffy and puffy and I said "ooh you're a rowdy boy aren't you" and suddenly I thought Rowdy!! That's his name! And it suited him perfectly.

Could you name him after a German City? we name our first dog after where who honeymooned - Keppel - from Keppel Island. Shortened to Kep was easy to call out. One of our current dogs is Boags - my husbands favourite beer - shortens to Bo when calling.

Very exciting to get a longed for pup

Stein = noun = large earthenware beer mug = ORIGIN mid 19th cent : from German Stein, literally ' stone ' from Apple dictionary.

So what about Stein or Stone as in Cold Stone Steve Austin a former WWE wrestling Icon.

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth. :)

Pups names here can take a few weeks ,i like to to see "who" my pup is & find the right name becomes very obvious .

Same here. I'm fine choosing registration names in advance, but when it comes to call names, I wait to meet them because if you land then with a name that doesn't suit their personality what happens is they usually end up being addressed as something completely different and usually unflattering...

As a rescuer, I will often rename a dog or cat that has been stuck with a name that is either far too common or doesn't suit. If they don't respond to their name, I know they have probably been called "boofhead", "dingbat", "poopybum" or something similar instead. icon_smile_mad.gif

If they do respond to the name and I don't like it I will give them one that has the same strong vowel sounds and they are usually happy with that. (Of course, in the case of rescues the new owners may choose a new name anyway!)laugh.gif

RP, to be fair I call Quinn Boofhead or Boofy all the time and it comes from a place of love, based on the way she barges through life with great enthusiasm :D

To the OP, if you have a whole list of names and none are jumping out at you then I agree that you may need to get to know puppy first. With my oldest dog Saxon I had lists before I met him, then met him, had a dream he was called Saxon and knew that was meant to be his name :)

Quinn was Quinn before she was born, that was always going to be my name for a blue Merle Australian Shepherd girl but it totally suits her so I just think she was meant to be my Quinny.

It's taken me 2 weeks to name my pup. She came with her registered name and had been called the last part of that at the breeder's. I wasn't overly convinced. Didn't feel right. Tried a few and finally one just clicked.

I dated a guy with the most amazing Doberman named Boss (the dogs names was Boss not the guy lol) He was such a cool dog and it suited him to a T.

I also dated a guy who's German Sheppard was named Waldo, he clearly didn't think about the park test until he was at the park, almost too embarrassed to call it's name :rofl:

Other names that I've liked for horses/dogs

Cash

Kip

Cooper

There is a Dobermann next door to me called Vladamir! Vlad for short. I used to bath one named Saber which I quite liked.

If I had a big black dog I'd so cal it Princess Fluffy Twinklepaws. Or Prince Fluffy Twinklepaws.

Dobermann bring up images of dark stormy things for me so I would probably actually call mine Rage.

I'm planning on a black male Dobie end of this year too (fingers crossed everything goes well with the bitch and she has a decent sized litter!) and I might have to invest in a pair of fluffy dog slippers so I can steal this name!!

OP, where are you getting yours from? PM me please, I love hearing about breeders :)

If they don't respond to their name, I know they have probably been called "boofhead", "dingbat", "poopybum" or something similar instead. icon_smile_mad.gif

That's all of mine, haha. They all have names for every day, names for when they're in trouble (full names or extensions usually) and nicknames like butthead, boof, stinkbutt etc. Haha.

If it helps they all answer to all of the above? Hahaha.

RP, to be fair I call Quinn Boofhead or Boofy all the time and it comes from a place of love, based on the way she barges through life with great enthusiasm :D

My Henry doesn't answer to his name, like, ever.

however he responds to "Fatboy" almost always embarrass.gif

but i love my now skinny, previously fat boy laugh.gif

Deniki has about 20 names incl. neek, neeki, cheeka, nugget, sneaker, baby, and my fave "Cheeka Gonzalez"...

Edited by denali

There is a Dobermann next door to me called Vladamir! Vlad for short. I used to bath one named Saber which I quite liked.

If I had a big black dog I'd so cal it Princess Fluffy Twinklepaws. Or Prince Fluffy Twinklepaws.

Dobermann bring up images of dark stormy things for me so I would probably actually call mine Rage.

I know a whippet called Vlad. I got a funny sequence of him running by his mums kids at the beach and he accidentally knocked one of them over. The next photo the little kid stood up in tears and I called him Vlad the Destroyer. The boy was fine folks in case anyone's worrying.

It took me ages to come up with a name for Neko, until I took this photo.

9922529513_a2d82b5f85_c.jpgManeki Neko, my little Lucky Cat by kirislin, on Flickr

them I named her after these, well, just the cat bit.

maneki neko

I dated a guy with the most amazing Doberman named Boss (the dogs names was Boss not the guy lol) He was such a cool dog and it suited him to a T.

I also dated a guy who's German Sheppard was named Waldo, he clearly didn't think about the park test until he was at the park, almost too embarrassed to call it's name :rofl:

Other names that I've liked for horses/dogs

Cash

Kip

Cooper

Thank you everyone for your responses, so good to read, and i just wanted to say my original thought for his name was boss! I even got a dog tag, but then I just sort of felt 'boss' cant be used as a name, but it might very well :D

My Henry doesn't answer to his name, like, ever.

however he responds to "Fatboy" almost always embarrass.gif

but i love my now skinny, previously fat boy laugh.gif

Deniki has about 20 names incl. neek, neeki, cheeka, nugget, sneaker, baby, and my fave "Cheeka Gonzalez"...

Dozer gets boof, boofhead and my favourite ziggy booboo, which often gets shortend to ziggy..