Puppy Farming Family In Court

huck house

What is the answer? Should they be forced to give all of the money they earned through those dogs to rescue? Would that be a deterrant to them or others? They certainly don't deserve to own any more animals! It really pisses me off that the son's employment needs were more important than so many dogs lives. Out in the real world people with disabilities and mental health issues have to find jobs to suit their specific needs all the time. I think that excuse is a cop out they just used in court when you consider how much money they were making from their little family business.

Maybe when the courts start handing out sentences that are more meaningful and in line with the harm caused we might be able to work towards a solution. I don't see anything going underground anytime soon. It seems to me the farming approach remains very lucrative with enough legal loopholes to see these places operate for years without any real impact on their growth and income. Sickening to think we share air space with people who have no problems owning businesses like this.

• 2 weeks later...
The Victorian Government has promised to introduce restrictions on pet stores so they can only sell animals from registered shelters or pounds.

But the pet retail industry is worried the move would not stop puppy farming and only encourage more online sales, which are difficult to track.

Retail industry would do or say anything to continue to be allowed to sell puppies in pet stores. It is a good % of their income. Get rid of pet shop sales.

• 4 weeks later...

We've got an outcome on this case today. It's not detailed in the story below but also:

'In addition, the maximum 10-year banning order from owning or being in charge of an animal was imposed on each of the individuals and the Company with an exception by the court that Dean Peace would be allowed to own and be in charge of two desexed working dogs.'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/rspcas-largest-puppy-farm-prosecution-in-victoria-sees-breeding-family-fined-205000/story-fni0fee2-1227542394478

Edited by Little Gifts