A Reminder Re. Microchips

denali

After an exhausting 5 hour shift at work trying to find the owners of a lost staffy whos microchip was a dead end,

all i wanted to remind everyone is please check your pets microchips and make sure everything is up to date!

He has not yet found his owner, will be spending the night at the clinic.

You can check your details here:

http://www.petaddress.com.au/

Or failing that, make them wear a collar with a contact number :)

Though the microchip has a benefit of proving the dog is owned by you, a lady on facebook faced an awful situation monday when she took her dog that she had for a year (bought off gumtree) to the vet to be microchipped.

Turns out he was already, so the vets held him assuming he was stolen, despite her showing facebook messages about his purchase and the bank withdrawal of his sale amount.

When the vet called the old owner then said she never sold him.

It was a debacle! But the police intervened and did transfer his ownership into new owners name as the facebook messages proved enough and the original owner changed her story.. very dodgy!

It took 6 months to get our microchip updated x-x and one pets microchip was registered to me then became unregistered? So I had to send an email to get him registered again so worth checking...

And for the 6 months it was a nsw chip registered to ?someone manager at the pound? And the rescue had thought it was changed to them. Turns out that paperwork never went through and even tho she's now registered on the national database the nsw chip isn't in my name and cause I'm not a resident I can't change it? But the nsw database was notified by national database so they changed it to out of date and a note to refer to the national register :/ id prefer it in my name cause road trips will be through nsw and I worry a tired ranger will take her back to some pound in the middle of nowhere...I've got all the ownership evidence etc but you hear such horror stories!

Most of the time was waiting for confirmation or responses D:

All this trouble will be worth it if something happens though! (man I hope I can get that Gps collar)

Edited by Thistle the dog

It took 6 months to get our microchip updated x-x and one pets microchip was registered to me then became unregistered? So I had to send an email to get him registered again so worth checking...

And for the 6 months it was a nsw chip registered to ?someone manager at the pound? And the rescue had thought it was changed to them. Turns out that paperwork never went through and even tho she's now registered on the national database the nsw chip isn't in my name and cause I'm not a resident I can't change it? But the nsw database was notified by national database so they changed it to out of date and a note to refer to the national register :/ id prefer it in my name cause road trips will be through nsw and I worry a tired ranger will take her back to some pound in the middle of nowhere...I've got all the ownership evidence etc but you hear such horror stories!

Most of the time was waiting for confirmation or responses D:

All this trouble will be worth it if something happens though! (man I hope I can get that Gps collar)

Sounds a bit like mine. I just wanted to update my address, not even change of ownership and its taking forever!

That and Deniki is listed as - and direct copy from the page-

" Type of Animal : FELINE

Breed: CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL"

:D

Edited by denali

Yes, very important. Don't ever assume it is all ok! Tempeh's transfer never went through properly at the registering end and I only found out when I did an online search (prompted by a DOL thread!) maybe a year after she came to live with me to check all her details were current and they had no record of her at all! Further digging revealed a query on the transfer paperwork that they had never bothered to follow up with through either me, the rescue or the vet who did the microchipping. I was not very happy they had left her at risk for so long. She never would've found her way home to anyone if lost.

It's telling me Nova's microchip isn't in there!

It says to contact the organisation the details are stored with, but how do I know?? Does it recognise NSW ones?

I did only update his address a few weeks ago though as I moved so perhaps it's just not updated?

Haha it's a pain working at the pound as we get lots of dogs with NSW chips that have moved to VIC and never been updated or added to the other registries, and we had to phone NSW and get permission to get the details etc rather than just do a quick search!

There should just be a national database IMO.

Edited by Dame Aussie

Haha it's a pain working at the pound as we get lots of dogs with NSW chips that have moved to VIC and never been updated or added to the other registries, and we had to phone NSW and get permission to get the details etc rather than just do a quick search!

There should just be a national database IMO.

Yes, totally forgot about this!

Thanks Dame Aussie.

We get them occasionally at the clinic, but not often enough that i thought to post it!

Sounds a bit like mine. I just wanted to update my address, not even change of ownership and its taking forever!

That and Deniki is listed as - and direct copy from the page-

" Type of Animal : FELINE

Breed: CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL"

:D

Wow I've never heard of that cat breed before! ;p

I wish there was a national database :(

I've got 2 pets on central animal records but the dog is on the national pet register. Makes things a bit confusing.

Edited by Thistle the dog

I've onky just sorted out Roo's chip details, adding my sister as the secondary person but the council rang her to query something. I will see what the papers come back as and transfer him onto a national register. Bunny's details are also not up to date but there's nothing I can do about that for a couple of weeks at least.

A while back, I tried to get my dog's microchip recorded on the database our local vets use but the system was down, and it was a serious PITA.

I can't get the main page (linked here) to cough up any info other than it's registered. But not what state or what kind of dog or anything - I can't verify the information is correct.

Ok - I was wrong - the "print registration certificate" lets me do this

http://www.aar.org.au

all the details look correct but you don't need much info to get in. Eg an ex could easily update details. Or anyone with the details for dogs advertised on gumtree.

I probably should ask the vet to do it as they have more access (hence me trying to get the damn thing registered with the local version that they use). I should also get the vet to check they can find the chip.

But it would be really bad to have different details across the registries. At least my council has the correct info. But you can't necessarily tell from the chip database - which council to ask.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

After an exhausting 5 hour shift at work trying to find the owners of a lost staffy whos microchip was a dead end,

all i wanted to remind everyone is please check your pets microchips and make sure everything is up to date!

Though the microchip has a benefit of proving the dog is owned by you, a lady on facebook faced an awful situation monday when she took her dog that she had for a year (bought off gumtree) to the vet to be microchipped.

Turns out he was already, so the vets held him assuming he was stolen, despite her showing facebook messages about his purchase and the bank withdrawal of his sale amount.

It was a debacle! But the police intervened and did transfer his ownership into new owners name as the facebook messages proved enough and the original owner changed her story.. very dodgy!

If it's a CAR chip, you're aware that you can ask for the authorised implanter/original chip purchaser's details?

I'm sure you're all over it, it's just that CAR don't generally tell you that they can supply that info...you have to ask for it. :) I have found a few owners that way. :D

If it's a CAR chip, you're aware that you can ask for the authorised implanter/original chip purchaser's details?

I'm sure you're all over it, it's just that CAR don't generally tell you that they can supply that info...you have to ask for it. :) I have found a few owners that way. :D

Yes, they can be very sneasky :laugh:

Unfortunately they were no help either.

We did end up finding his owner as a vet further away gets him brought in frequently and knew the owners number..

I helped them fill out an update details form then and there!

Yes, they can be very sneasky :laugh:

Unfortunately they were no help either.

We did end up finding his owner as a vet further away gets him brought in frequently and knew the owners number..

I helped them fill out an update details form then and there!

Ah, awesome to hear! Thanks for updating his story. ????