Antibiotics + Probiotics ?

Yonjuro

What is the latest thinking on giving probiotics while your dog is on antibiotics?

I have read conflicting views, some saying that contrary to popular belief probiotics can actually be helpful while your dog is on antibiotics ???

Any thoughts on this? :)

Apparently, the probitics defeat what the antibotics are trying to do so now the thinking is to give the probitics after the course of antibotics is finished.

Edited by Ci

Its interesting as the reading I have been doing indicates that probiotics and hour or two before brekky or before bed is best as the stomach acid from food digestion doesn't destroy as much. It also indicates that before bedtime when on antibiotics replenishes the gut ready for the next round.

So it is quite a confusing debate.

Ci have you got a link for the source of the info you posted above. I am not disagreeing just want to find out more for my personal interest :)

This is I have been told by a few vets. I haven't actually researched it properly yet myself as Holistic practices say one thing and medical say another and it's very confusing.

What I have found through the small amount I have read is that there are different opinions!

Edited by Ci

• 2 weeks later...

It is only very recently that research has actually been done on this, before that it was all theory. It is now recommended that you take the probiotics while on antibiotics if you are likely to experience side effects, or be on them for a long time.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/should-i-take-antibiotics-with-probiotics

I put mine on them while on the AB and then keep them on the probiotic for the same length of time after the AB has finished as they were on the AB.