Dogs On Utes

Ranga

We were at my elderly mother's place today gardening. She lives on a main road in a rural town. I was out the back of the house when I heard a motor bike horn blaring and then my OH yelling - very loudly! The bike was trying unsuccessfully to gain the attention of the truck. I ran to the front yard to see a table top truck veering off to the kerb with a dog hanging from the side by its chain :eek: The truck came to a stop and a young guy leapt out to grab the poor dog who was luckily still alive and well! He carried the dog over to us and I think he and the dog were both in shock. He thanked us profusely, and I told him to tie the dog shorter. He maintained the dog had been tied short but had broken the chain :mad the poor dog had grazes to his rear pads but otherwise seemed okay. When they left, the dog was in the cab of the truck. It was lucky my OH has such a loud yell or else the poor dog may have ended up like the dog in National Lampoon's Vacation :mad

Thats a lucky dog. Our kelpie broke his harness in OHs ute at 18 months old and jumped out, this was before i met OH. He broke his pelvis, and OH had only just started moving. He was one lucky dog that's for sure. I hate dogs in utes for this reason, unless they are tied incredibly short and on two tethers. . it took years for the poor soul to travel in cars of any kind without stressing.

Edited by Bundyburger

Apparently, my grandparent's old neighbour hanged one of his dogs because whatever it was tied with was too long, and it fell out of the tray and from what they said, he drove along with it for some way before noticing (this was out on a country road so no one to warn him).

I'm not sure the truth of that story, but since hearing it when I was younger, I've always been very anxious with watching dogs on the backs of utes.

Apparently, my grandparent's old neighbour hanged one of his dogs because whatever it was tied with was too long, and it fell out of the tray and from what they said, he drove along with it for some way before noticing (this was out on a country road so no one to warn him).

I'm not sure the truth of that story, but since hearing it when I was younger, I've always been very anxious with watching dogs on the backs of utes.

Same thing happened to a friend of ours... only when he got to town the morning schoolkids all had to see the dead hanging dog as we waited for the school bus.

Never been a fan of dogs on utes since seeing that...

T.

One very lucky dog. So dangerous if not secured properly. You see some dogs not secured at all & going around corners they almost fall out. Understand with farm dogs riding in the back but on public roads I believe they should be in crates if they have to ride in the back.

I don't like it and I don't like seeing it. We live in a reasonably metro area and seeing dogs poorly secured going down freeways at 100k an hour leaves me cold.

Also hearing dogs bark their asses off all the way along the road or whine with stress makes me angry too. May as well put my dog on the bloody roof racks. Secure them and if the dog doesn't like it, for gods sake don't do it.

On the farm we have the dogs tied on the utes with a short chain so they can lie down or look around the corner but not jump out. Although if I manage to steal the dual cab I put the dog/s on the back seat embarrass.gif The F-Truck (FIL's vehicle) has dog crates on the back which is also handy.

In Perth we saw an excited Kelpie half hanging out of an open window of a Landcruiser - literally had it's chest out the window - I thought it was going to fall out eek1.gif we were too far back or I would've yelled at the half-witted owners.

I think what a lot of ute drivers fail to realise is that even though the dog can only look over the edge, if it falls back/bum first, it'll still end up hanging over the edge of the ute.

I don't understand the whole tie the dog on the back of the ute in suburban areas; there's no need. Farms fine because the dogs are on/off all the time to work the cattle/sheep etc but in the city ... Put the dog inside the cabin.

I can't understand why people EVER think it is a good idea to restrain a dog on a ute via a collar and chain (no matter how short). Hanging risk aside, how safe would you feel if your seat belt arrangement was a loop around your neck?

A firm harness with short tether, or crate or, better yet, ride in the cab.

You see so many dogs standing on hot aluminium tray bodies, blinking out the dust in their eyes as the spilled feed gets blown around the back. We really need to rethink our "Aussie dog on back of ute" myth.

Happy to make an exception for farm dogs on farm property - they are working and it is by far the most practical way to bring them with you.

This occurred in a rural area ... It doesn't excuse the risk. Maybe they were travelling between farms? I don't know. The young owner of the dog was genuinely upset and I don't think this dog will be at risk again ... At least I hope not :confused:

I can't understand why people EVER think it is a good idea to restrain a dog on a ute via a collar and chain (no matter how short). Hanging risk aside, how safe would you feel if your seat belt arrangement was a loop around your neck?

A firm harness with short tether, or crate or, better yet, ride in the cab.

You see so many dogs standing on hot aluminium tray bodies, blinking out the dust in their eyes as the spilled feed gets blown around the back. We really need to rethink our "Aussie dog on back of ute" myth.

Happy to make an exception for farm dogs on farm property - they are working and it is by far the most practical way to bring them with you.

I like this post.

Also what River Star Aura says. They fall off bum first and are then suspended by their necks.

I agree. It's time to rethink. I have followed utes and seen dogs swaying from side to side as the ute turns or swerves. I feel very uncomfortable about it all.

Re farm dogs: I assume they are not restrained at all so that they can jump on or off as needed.

I would never ONLY tether a dog in a ute by even a firm fitting harness. Dogs can and will wiggle out of harnesses. I no longer have my ute, and am no longer on a property, but I kept the tie back as short as possible, and double backed it, to both a collar and harness.

You need to be continually checking your tie backs as well, they weaken, especially chains. Replace them when needed.

I agree that there is no need for people to be tethering dogs to utes in urban areas.