Dogs On Utes

Ranga

D: so glad the dogs alright!

Maybe driving around in the paddock with untethered working dogs (cause if you go too fast you're going to hit every hole and that one $;&&@& rock) but on a road or in urban areas? Even if properly secured - what if there's an accident or you're parked and someone harms your dog?

I'd get something like this dobie owner I've seen has - some kind of solid steel crate welded onto his ute for the dog. Looks to have padding on the inside and very secure.

None of this swinging around getting choked/spinal injuries/all manner of accidents.

Or at minimum get a cage build for your ute so dogs can't go over the edge whole swinging around :(

My wife and I had a Blue Heeler come out of the back of a ute and go under the back wheels many years ago when we were young and didn't know better. She had to have 2 ops, and never really recovered, with us putting her down at 7.5 years old due to crippling arthritis. IT was heartbreaking, and I would NEVER put a dog in the back of a ute again.

Our dogs love the ute. :)

When I have the ute to take to the park, as OH has our Troopy, Honey and Digger in the back. Digger behind the driver and Honey behind the passenger seat and they are well tethrered and I am constantly checking the mirrors. They have done this for 10 years and never a problem.

Lucky-Dog sits in the front passenger seat. :)

I think everyone has heard a story about a dog dragged along behind a ute and it is just such a horrific way to die or be seriously injured. A long, long time ago I was in a ute on a no stopping section of freeway and the dog the driver had in the back decided he wanted to crawl inside the cab. His chain was long enough that the dog was able to do so too while the car travelled at 120km. It was terrifying and the struggling dog (large breed) had to be dragged in through the drivers window while he was driving. He was luckily unharmed. There will always be a need to secure dogs on the back of utes (because that is the type of vehicle a lot of people own for their jobs) and I much prefer a cage set up as the dogs will at least have shade, maybe water, are safe from falling off the side or being thrown from the vehicle in an accident, as well as safe from theft.

I'm sick of seeing unrestrained dogs in vehicles full stop.

The amount of people on facebook ( dog people some DOLers) that post pictures of their dogs unrestrained on road trips really blows my mind.

:(

I don't really want a 40kg projectile launched at me if we're involved in a crash

IDIOT DOG OWNERS...Thought of this very thread while at the beach this morning. I watched 2 young guys in a Hilux type ute in the carpark doing 360's all the while an little red ACD was restrained on a loose leash in the back. I couldn't bloody believe what I was seeing in amongst the flying loose gravel & tyer smoke. That poor dog was literally getting thrown about from one side to the other & honestly don't know how he didn't get tossed out. The ute had a steel type tray & didn't appear to have any matting or floor covering, so there's no traction underfoot for the dog.

Thankfully although it all seemed to all happen in slow motion, they didn't hang around long & took off. Poor dog :( :( hope he is alright. I should of reported it but it all happened so fast I didn't think to get a rego no... I certainly will keep a look out though in case I see them again...