Young Dog Scared Of Neighbour

GenY

My 11 mth old GSD x Malinois has 'known' our elderly neighbour since we brought him home at 9 weeks old but in recent weeks has been barking at him when he comes out of his back door (which is only a couple of metres from our (chain link) back fence. He has been our neighbour for almost 10 years and we get along well. Just to clarify, the neighbour is a dog person himself and had a Collie who died some years ago, so there is not a chance he has done something to our pup. He says he doesn't mind that the pup barks at him, but to be honest, I do.

After speaking with him, I asked if he would be willing to give him treats when he is quiet, but ignore him when he barks. He was more than willing to help, so I supplied him with some treats. He gave the pup one while I was standing there, and a bit of an ear scratch and everything was fine. This morning I asked him how it was going and he said he won't take the treats from him - will barely even come near him! What the?

So... does anyone have any advice they can share? Thanks in advance :-)

Regards,

Gen Y

I'm just taking a guess here but because the neighbour is elderly, I'm wondering if he might be walking differently due to illness or injury or perhaps smelling differently due to illness and it's upsetting your dog? Either that or maybe something accidental happened that your dog has associated with the neighbour, like a loud bang at the same time that your neighbour opened his door? I'd say your dog won't accept treats from him because he's too stressed when your neighbour is present, although using treats to create a positive association with the neighbour is a good idea. If your dog isn't ready to deal with your neighbour giving him treats, could the neighbour possibly throw them over the fence from a distance so that your dog associates him with something great, without having to get closer than he's comfortable with? Or perhaps you could sit outside with your dog and ask your neighbour to come outside briefly every few minutes and each time he does, you reward your dog with the treats to start building up that association? I'm sure the trainers on this forum will be able to offer better guidance than I can but your approach was on the right track. :)

We did something similar with Dozer, we gave the neighbours a stash of frozen bones to toss over the fence if it was a bit hot.

Might be part of the reason Dozer still loves them to death and we haven't lived next to them for 18 months!

My girl is really scared of my Mum and Dad's neighbour. Same as you, as a baby she used to play and sleep on him. Then at some point she became scared of him, I can't quite pinpoint when that happened. But she hides from him, is scared to walk past his house and has even urinated/defacated out of fear. In saying that she will sometimes approach him for food. She seems to be at odds with herself over this relationship a little. Your story is pretty much the same as mine, but you get barking I get outright avoidance.

To be honest I've given up trying to get her over it. It's not really a battle worth fighting. She doesn't have to go near him if she doesn't want to.

I know that's not a lot of help for you, but I feel your pain over it!

How lovely you all are, taking the time to respond. Thank you everyone :-) I think asking him to throw the treat is perhaps a good step, because he sure does love his food.

When I said 'elderly' maybe I shouldn't... he's in his late 60s, and a very fit man, so nothing funny there. He's always been kind to our dogs, always says they're lovely and our other dog (who is 10 and has known him the 9 years we've lived here) loves him - she apparently comes and grabs the treats the young pup doesn't want!

The thing that gets me, is that when I handed the treats to the neighbour, the pup wasn't scared of him at all, took a treat from him and even got an ear scratch through the fence.. which is why I guess I'm so surprised that he's scared of him.

Thanks again everyone. If anyone has anything else to add, I'm more than open to other suggestions :-)

When I said 'elderly' maybe I shouldn't... he's in his late 60s, and a very fit man, so nothing funny there.

Huge changes are taking place in a person's body and mind in those years. I know as I am there myself (except for the fit part :( ). Lots of people fall off the twig between the ages of 65 and 75, people you would think would go on forever. I'd be sending him to the doctor. Don't forget there are huge numbers of assistance dogs now for people who suffer from all sorts of medical issues whereby the dogs senses if that person is going to have an episode.

You have a mixture of two guardian breeds - I hope you know the individual temperaments behind the genetics?!

I do not find this behaviour at all surprising. Your dog is now an adolescent, the Belgian Shepherd is a stand offish breed, they are self contained and reserved, but are particularly alert to their owners' emotions which is why your dog is more happy to accept the neighbour when you are present. My Groenendael is happy to greet visitors when we are at home, if we are out or not aware of an impending visit then she is territorial and shows protective behaviours.

When you are not present have the neighbour ignore the dog, ask him not to make eye contact and just go about his business - let the dog make the approach. It sounds like your dog has a 'soft' temperament or is as others suggested going through a fear period; he may need to observe for a while before initiating engagement. Make sure you or your neighbour are not inadvertantly reinforcing fearful behaviour, for instance your dog will know if the neighbour is worried about an unfavourable reaction to his overtures!