Need To Vent About

Rascalmyshadow

Today I received a very upsetting call from an old regular grooming client of mine.

I haven't seen her and the dogs for three years since leaving the vet clinic I was working in, unfortunately I'm just finding out that although the vets are still recommending me the nurses hadn't been telling the clients I was even still grooming so many had being going else where.

This lady had been struggling to find a good groomer and finally a friend recommended someone, that someone managed to traumatise and injure the dog so much the owner heard the dog screaming and ended the grooming before the dog could be finished.

In all the years I groomed both of her dogs (the old boy passed away) they would run into the clinic and barely look back, neither were difficult dogs.

Finally after having to anethatise the dog for its last groom the vets have let her know I'm still grooming. Now its going to be a complete rehabilitation on what was once a happy go lucky dog that enjoyed being groomed.

I am so angry that anyone can go off and do a course and call themselves a groomer!!! I have seen way too many dogs over the years physically and mentally damaged by idiots that have no idea what they are doing.

Sorry rant over :(

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about that.

Should never, ever happen.

One of our regulars took his dog to a closer groomer when we were booked out and the groomer cut the dog in five places. Not overly matted and a really, really good little dog to groom. Fortunately, he loves coming to us and is still good to handle, but it makes me angry to hear this sort of thing goes on.

Vent away!

Sags

:)

I took mum's one eyed shih tzu to a groomer once and neglected to point out she was one eyed, thinking it would become apparent pretty quick, I left and half an hour later had 15 missed calls from her asking if Petunia had one eye when I dropped her off and how she had sifted through the bathwater to find it and couldn't...it was a 5 year old scar, very old and very much closed over. Not sure what she planned to DO if she found the eye though...they don't just pop back in.

We have seen some shockers.

I took mum's one eyed shih tzu to a groomer once and neglected to point out she was one eyed, thinking it would become apparent pretty quick, I left and half an hour later had 15 missed calls from her asking if Petunia had one eye when I dropped her off and how she had sifted through the bathwater to find it and couldn't...it was a 5 year old scar, very old and very much closed over. Not sure what she planned to DO if she found the eye though...they don't just pop back in.

OMG, that's laughable and shocking at the same time.

Rascalmyshadow, Were you grooming at a vet practice in the SE 'burbs' of Melbourne. I ask because the groomer who ran her business in the same premises as the vets I attend left a few short years ago and I haven't been able to find out where she is now.

OMG, that's laughable and shocking at the same time.

It was crazy, I thought she was joking but she was about to rush her to the emergency vet. Poor dog was somewhat bewildered I bet...

OMG that is really disturbing!

cavNrott I was in a vet in Moorabbin (hope I'm allowed to post that here).

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I agree there needs to be some regulation in the industry although I'm also secretly thankful that I was able to 'do a course and call myself a groomer'

I'm honest about the fact that I'm still learning and I take every opportunity to continue my education

Also the welfare of my customers is always way more important than getting their coat just right

and for a part time groomer I'm pretty chuffed that a couple of new customers are willing to travel to me to get their cocker spaniels groomed, I must be doing something right

Edited by Leah82

My love everyone Stafford girl was traumatised by a groomer with one of the RSPCA super stores when she was about 3 years old. I'd left her to get her nails cut while I was using the machine to wash our other two dogs. I realised she was screaming and went in and discovered the girl had her pinned to the floor with her body and was being really rough and verbally aggressive with her to cut them. She'd never had a problem with having them done before but she is almost 8 now and ever since that one event she is terrified of anyone even touching her paws let alone getting clippers near her toes. I've tried desensitising her but she still wont even let me pat near her paw without pulling her leg away.

I agree there needs to be some regulation in the industry although I'm also secretly thankful that I was able to 'do a course and call myself a groomer'

I'm honest about the fact that I'm still learning and I take every opportunity to continue my education

Also the welfare of my customers is always way more important than getting their coat just right

and for a part time groomer I'm pretty chuffed that a couple of new customers are willing to travel to me to get their cocker spaniels groomed, I must be doing something right

LOL You can have all my cockers, I hate grooming them, especially black ones. I started back grooming at a shop a few weeks ago after about 3 years off (only grooming my husband's and friends dogs) and the first dog waiting outside the salon was a black cocker :(

What are the formal quals for groomers anyway? I learned at a few salons 10 years ago(!) now, it's not something I want to pursue, just a bit of extra pocket money atm, but I would point our young bathers that way if they were keen.

LOL You can have all my cockers, I hate grooming them, especially black ones. I started back grooming at a shop a few weeks ago after about 3 years off (only grooming my husband's and friends dogs) and the first dog waiting outside the salon was a black cocker :(

What are the formal quals for groomers anyway? I learned at a few salons 10 years ago(!) now, it's not something I want to pursue, just a bit of extra pocket money atm, but I would point our young bathers that way if they were keen.

haha, considering I learnt on my cocker and help out with cocker rescue it's kinda come with the territory. Luckily I love them and love making them look somewhat like proper cockers.

I do have a pair of black brothers that like to test my blades though.

Formal qualifications... you can do a cert 3 at most TAFE's and there are a few institutions that you can get an International Master Groomer certificate.

Masters are usually completed by people that have been in the industry for quite awhile

I'll be aiming to get my Masters once I get up and running full time, that way if the industry ever does become regulated I'll be sorted

Edited by Leah82

My old Hank was a gentleman but when he got arthritis I took im to the groomers as he was too big for me o lift into the bath and he couldn't get in by himself anymore.

When he point blank refused to go past the first groomers shop door after one groom there I knew they must have done something wrong. I tried a mobile service but they wouldn't let me watch and I had to rescue my yelping, half washed man from the back of the truck. then I tried a clam shell with kettles of boiled water for a while but it was terrible in winter. One day I met a lovely lady at the park, she ran a little salon and would give me a call when she only had a few littlies in and we would walk up for a wash and dry. She was happy for me to stay and after that I decided anyone who wont let the owner stay wouldn't get my business.

:eek: jeeeeesus

A lot of the issues with bad groomers started when courses became available.

20 years ago when I got into the industry the only way to really learn was to work with an already experienced groomer. I was not allowed to touch a set of clippers or scissors for the first 6-8 months of grooming, my first two bosses taught me the ins and outs of dog handling, bathing, drying and grooming out before I learnt to clip.

Seems anyone that has done any type of grooming course can use dangerous equipment without supervision or necessary handling skills.

We had a few shockers come through when I was grooming. Worst was a gorgeous little fluffy that ended up with severe burns all over her tummy because the blades were so hot. The moron groomer apparently didn't notice??? Poor dog must have been in so much pain. Thankfully she was a sweet dog and was still lovely to groom.