Need To Vent About

Rascalmyshadow

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hi I just saw this.

Thanks for all those recs guys. Major blush!

Redfeather you have a Lappie? how old? desexed or no?

You are correct thinking it wont be a cheap job, but may not be as expensive as you expect. maybe 2 or 3 cartons of beer lol!

If you are planning to use the services of a groomer before going away, please plan and book ahead, as we are coming into the super busy time of the year and calling a week ahead for a 2 to 3 hrs appointment at this time of year wont work. If a salon can fit you in at short notice in the warmer months id question why. They are either not busy for a reason, or are willing to packem rackem and stackem production line style which is never best for the dog.

And please dont be the owner that puts off seeking professional help leaving it too long and then grumble when we have to be hard on the coat to try and fix it in a humane manner.

Ps....it would be a pleasure to do a nice big double coat and not trim a single hair! It makes me ragey when I do a beautiful natural spitz coat that grooms up beautiful but the owners always want the bum trimmed or the feet trimmed or 'outlined' which I particularly hate! No one seems to be able to cope with a perfectly untouched spitz coat the way it should be, so it would be awesome :thumbsup:

Edited by blinkblink

I think a clip would be extra. And sometimes it depends on the size of the dog. But Blinkblink is possibly the best value in town at the moment given how good she is at it.

The only downside (tho I find it funny) is she's located next to the local "rub and tug" aka Chinese massage.

Hey! The R & T opened AFTER me and i'm less than impressed! Adelaide Dog was in that shop when I chose my location, and then they moved up to the bigger shop, and then in came the R & T! They are pretty low key neighbours. And Karina and I would have nothing to laugh about if it wasnt for their , err, clientelle :rofl:

You are correct thinking it wont be a cheap job, but may not be as expensive as you expect. maybe 2 or 3 cartons of beer lol!

If you are planning to use the services of a groomer before going away, please plan and book ahead, as we are coming into the super busy time of the year and calling a week ahead for a 2 to 3 hrs appointment at this time of year wont work. If a salon can fit you in at short notice in the warmer months id question why. They are either not busy for a reason, or are willing to packem rackem and stackem production line style which is never best for the dog.

And please dont be the owner that puts off seeking professional help leaving it too long and then grumble when we have to be hard on the coat to try and fix it in a humane manner.

Ps....it would be a pleasure to do a nice big double coat and not trim a single hair! It makes me ragey when I do a beautiful natural spitz coat that grooms up beautiful but the owners always want the bum trimmed or the feet trimmed or 'outlined' which I particularly hate! No one seems to be able to cope with a perfectly untouched spitz coat the way it should be, so it would be awesome :thumbsup:

He's nearly 8 months, and not desexed (yet - will happen in a few more months). Will keep your recommendations in mind! The only trimming I'd ever consider is his feet to reduce mud tracking, but they are supposed to have snow boots! He does have some hilarious looking longer hairs on some of his toes though!

He's nearly 8 months, and not desexed (yet - will happen in a few more months). Will keep your recommendations in mind! The only trimming I'd ever consider is his feet to reduce mud tracking, but they are supposed to have snow boots! He does have some hilarious looking longer hairs on some of his toes though!

ah! at 8 months he's moving through coat change which is always a more challenging grooming time. I would suggest a professional groom before desexing him. Get one coat blow done first. Once desexed, over time these coats tend to get heavier and often don't blow out quite as easily as entire ones.

ah! at 8 months he's moving through coat change which is always a more challenging grooming time. I would suggest a professional groom before desexing him. Get one coat blow done first. Once desexed, over time these coats tend to get heavier and often don't blow out quite as easily as entire ones.

Redfeather - I agree with blinkblink - a Lappie pup coat going into adult coat is hard work ! My girl was desexed young and she comes from a very heavy coated line so she has a massive coat. I allow at least 3 hours at the groomer for her. I asked around a lot of groomers before I found one that understands double coats - a number wanted to clip her :( If you are in the hills area Lois from Pet N Pedigree in Mt Barker knows Lappies

Edited by sparkycat

Blinkblink, what are 'outlined' feet? I'm imagining poodle feet on a spitz laugh.gif

Oh no some people want the feet trimmed on their spitz breeds, much the same way you would normally trim the foot of a Newfoundland or Golden Retriever by pulling up the coat between the toes and leveling with the top of the foot with thinning scissors, then pulling the hair back down between the toes and trimming the coat off level with the foot pad and going around the foot to take off stragglies, and blending into the pastern and hock.

"outlining' is where we trim over more or less the entire coat to round off chest, belly, bum etc. Personally I think it make the dog look unbalanced and a bit speshal, and wrecks the coat texture, making those areas become nappy and fuzzy and harder to groom in the long run. And for very little actual benefit to ease grooming or shedding.

Im not completely against trimming and clipping double coats when faced with owners who wont or cant manage a full coat due to laziness or financial restrictions, to ensure the comfort and sanitary benefit of the dog. I have several clients that just like the look of a 3/4 inch plush all over clip on their spitz breeds and run with that 2 or more times a year. If it means the dog is kept indoors and kept comfortable and sanitary, it is better to do it, and do it well, than get all pedantic and preachy about alternatives.

Blinkblink, what are 'outlined' feet? I'm imagining poodle feet on a spitz laugh.gif

Oh no some people want the feet trimmed on their spitz breeds, much the same way you would normally trim the foot of a Newfoundland or Golden Retriever by pulling up the coat between the toes and leveling with the top of the foot with thinning scissors, then pulling the hair back down between the toes and trimming the coat off level with the foot pad and going around the foot to take off stragglies, and blending into the pastern and hock.

"outlining' is where we trim over more or less the entire coat to round off chest, belly, bum etc. Personally I think it make the dog look unbalanced and a bit speshal, and wrecks the coat texture, making those areas become nappy and fuzzy and harder to groom in the long run. And for very little actual benefit to ease grooming or shedding.

Im not completely against trimming and clipping double coats when faced with owners who wont or cant manage a full coat due to laziness or financial restrictions, to ensure the comfort and sanitary benefit of the dog. I have several clients that just like the look of a 3/4 inch plush all over clip on their spitz breeds and run with that 2 or more times a year. If it means the dog is kept indoors and kept comfortable and sanitary, it is better to do it, and do it well, than get all pedantic and preachy about alternatives.

Ooooh they were separate. I get you now! I do my aussies feet like that, but I have no idea how spitz are supposed to be done.

I hate the look of dogs that are trimmed all over like that. When I first looking up how to do basic trimming and grooming on my boy I came across heaps of videos of people trimming aussies all over like that. They look like weird plush toys.