Calcium Supplementation For Puppies?

joey13

Hi guys,

Had my Mini Bull Terrier puppy at the Vet on Monday for her 10 week Vaccination. I advised the vet that I was feeding a RAW/BARF diet consisting of 1/3 actual meat/bones (necks, wings, ribs) to assist with chewing and teeth hygiene/health and the other 2/3 are BARF (Bigdog pet foods).

She asked me if it was a "puppy" formula to which I replied no. She advised me that I need to supplement the pup with a calcium supplement for the first 9-10 months as there is insufficient calcium in the diet since its not a "puppy" formula as such which she says is the main difference.

I am somewhat skeptical and hesitant to go with her advice? My pup does light work of all the bones I give her and the Bigdog food has crushed bone and cartlidge and to my knowledge is balanced. I would have thought that she would be getting plenty of calcium from this diet?

She is consistently putting on 500g weekly and the vet actually said "she is in top condition" and complemented her weight and the fact that she was not over, not under.

Advice is greatly appreciated?

Cheers, Joey.

I personally do not think this is true. In fact calcium supplements can often swing the other way and be detrimental.

The puppy would be getting enough calcium from the extra bones.

The puppy version of the raw food i occassionally use has no extra calcium, just a bit of extra fat :shrug:

Are you feeding the Big Dog Puppy BARF? This is just their standard combo BARF in smaller patties? I seriously doubt any calcium supplementation is required, and really supplementing without blood testing is pissing in the wind. IF the calcium levels are a concern, then it's easily rectified by increasing % of bone content in diet.

Hi,

We have been using "home" barf for well over 10 years now with no problems for either the adults or the pups.

We are using crushed chicken egg shell, 1/2 teaspoon per day, which is very high level of calcium carbonate to assist the bitch through mild production and calcium maintenance.

To prepare you can either allow the shells to air-dry or dry them out in the oven then mortar and pestle until you have quite a fine grind. We add to the morning meal.

Cheers,

The bones in the diet you are feeding seem to contain more than sufficient calcium. It is possible to get the calcium/phos. ratio wrong with supplements.

Vets do not learn anything much about nutrition, and pick up most of it from dry food representatives!!

Like Bob - I have been feeding raw for years with no problems. Dogs have been born, lived into their teens and died with no calcium problems.

Are you feeding the Big Dog Puppy BARF? This is just their standard combo BARF in smaller patties? I seriously doubt any calcium supplementation is required, and really supplementing without blood testing is pissing in the wind. IF the calcium levels are a concern, then it's easily rectified by increasing % of bone content in diet.

Thanks for all of your replies. Yes I figured out that the "puppy" range as such is the same typical analysis it just comes in 1.5kg packs instead of 3kg.

I am comfortable with my decision to continue feeding the pre made BARF with actual Raw Meaty Bones.

One more quick question. I have just purchased a deep freezer so I can buy her food in bulk and give her more variety. Since picking her up (4 weeks ago) she has been on the "Combo" big dog because I on;y had room for 1 box at a time but now I plan to buy the entire range. I was thinking of mixing it up like this. Thoughts are much appreciated...At the moment I am feeding 3 times a day. 1 out of the 3 meals is actual raw meaty bones. Once she is 6 months old, I will be feeding twice a day with one meal being actual meaty bones.

Mon - Beef

Tue - Chicken

Wed - Combo

Thur - Rabbit

Fri - Lamb

Sat - Turkey

Sun - Fish

Mon - Beef

Tue - Chicken

Wed - Lamb

Thur - Combo

Fri - Rabbit

Sat - Kangaroo

Sun - Fish

I also feed her green tripe twice a week which will be somewhere in this mix.

I think the reason a lot of vets get concerned when they hear about raw feeding is because they think people are feeding just meat, and if you're feeding just meat the your pups calcium : phosphorus ratios will be out, as meat is high in phosphorus and low in calcium.